Politics And Current Events

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:07 pm

Lastly, good for you that you didn't lose sleep or need counseling. I mean that seriously. However, if you think that makes you better than someone who would in this situation, grow up.
No I don't think it makes me better. If anything, I'm just sad that our current society is so fearful.
Like I said earlier, my initial reaction when I got there, which was right after everyone had been sent inside, was that this was an overreaction. However, seeing how legitimately terrified some of the kids were and then hearing the first hand accounts of the situation, I think this was an appropriate time to be fearful. There's going to be a group of people in a situation like that who say, wow, this can't be a legitimate shooter situation, because that wouldn't happen to me. That's how I generally think. But there's also plenty of people who do understand that it is possible to be in an actual life-threatening situation. I don't blame them for being fearful in any way.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Good for you. Here's your tough guy card. Back off on the younger kids who don't have your stones of steel.
Thanks, not trying to be a tough guy.

IMO, this was just one more example of the overall pussification of America.
So you're a Jon Bolton kind of guy (see his quote posted ITT from earlier today)?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:15 pm

I may sound belligerent, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I'm sure I'd be scared if some dude showed a gun at any event, let alone a kids basketball game. But where do you draw the line in fearfulness? At what point do you say its not ok to cross the line from being upset to seeking counseling?

I always look at it this way, it seems far more likely that I will experience a traumatic experience while driving in a car than I would a potential mass shooting. I would suppose it is far more likely that cancer or heart disease will kill me compared to a mass shooting and even a vehicle.

At some point, people have to function within the reality that there is danger and unpleasantness in the world, but where do you draw that line?

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:18 pm

I think it's on a case by case basis. People react differently to different situations.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:25 pm

Yeah, trauma is in the eye of the beholder.

I wouldn't imagine needing counseling after being in that setting, but I also imagine that kids are going to school with much more of a mindset of the potential of school shootings (having active shooter drills, et).

So basically, what is the purpose of this argument?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:27 pm

A French court has sentenced a mother to eight years in jail for drowning five of her newborn babies and hiding them in a freezer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43 ... ow_twitter
Sobbing in court, Romana Canete, 37, asked for "forgiveness" at her trial in Bordeaux, south-west France.

She admitted giving birth in a bathtub at her home in Louchats, some 40km (25 miles) from Bordeaux, and leaving the babies to die in the water.

One of Canete's two teenage daughters found one baby in a bag in the freezer.

Police later found the other bodies there, after Romana Canete's husband Juan Carlos had contacted them, AFP news agency reports.

The grim discovery was made in March 2015, and Romana has already spent three years in detention.

The births and subsequent drownings are thought to have taken place over the previous 10 years, according to French media reports.

She is not expected to serve the full eight years, and will have five years of welfare supervision after her release.
:shock:

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Today's kids are soft I believe.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:35 pm

So they never saw the gun, or anything and need counseling?

He pretty clearly said "A parent saw the gun and started yelling" to the kids, likely telling them that someone had a gun, and to get back inside.

If you were a 10 year old, that would scare the **** out of you.
I’m clearly talking about the kids. I hope that wouldn’t scar a kid for life.
I don't think it would scar a kid for life, and don't think that was implied. Another aspect of this that was traumatic is that some of the kids were separated from their parents, so kids weren't sure if their parents were safe.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:41 pm

I may sound belligerent, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I'm sure I'd be scared if some dude showed a gun at any event, let alone a kids basketball game. But where do you draw the line in fearfulness? At what point do you say its not ok to cross the line from being upset to seeking counseling?

I always look at it this way, it seems far more likely that I will experience a traumatic experience while driving in a car than I would a potential mass shooting. I would suppose it is far more likely that cancer or heart disease will kill me compared to a mass shooting and even a vehicle.

At some point, people have to function within the reality that there is danger and unpleasantness in the world, but where do you draw that line?
Why does the line need drawn again? You think too much therapy is possible or somehow negative?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:42 pm

To gruntys post:

Yes and I explained (again) what MWB said. It's pretty clear, not sure why you need more clarification unless you're trying to be an internet tough guy
And it was more of a rhetorical question to MWB, but for some reason you like to butt in all the time.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:51 pm

‘You should do it’: Trump officials encouraged George Papadopoulos’s foreign outreach, documents show.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... ssion=true

He was one important coffee boy

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:58 pm

Clovis and Papadopoulos spoke by phone four days later, a conversation in which Clovis said improving relations with Russia was a top campaign foreign policy goal, according to what Papadopoulos later told prosecutors. Clovis, who did not respond to a request for comment, has previously denied that account.
Interesting top foreign policy goal from an isolationist campaign.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:49 pm

To gruntys post:

Yes and I explained (again) what MWB said. It's pretty clear, not sure why you need more clarification unless you're trying to be an internet tough guy
And it was more of a rhetorical question to MWB, but for some reason you like to butt in all the time.

Pot, kettle

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:55 pm

The way I look at it is the way I act when a baby does something that is not actually going to bring harm or hurt to itself. When it looks up to you and is going to gauge on your reaction how to handle the situation that is whether to ignore it or scream with vengeance. If the adults act like adults the kids will as well.

We could all use a large dose of stoicism in American Life.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:06 pm

Ah yes, stoicism when an angry man decides to show a gun during an argument at a children's basketball game.

Yup.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:08 pm

I think you know the country has a gun problem when people seem more concerned with bystanders' reaction to guy brandishing a firearm, then the guy pulling his gun at a kid's rec basketball game.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:08 pm

@realDonaldTrump
Obama Administration legalized bump stocks. BAD IDEA. As I promised, today the Department of Justice will issue the rule banning BUMP STOCKS with a mandated comment period. We will BAN all devices that turn legal weapons into illegal machine guns

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:09 pm

I think you know the country has a gun problem when people seem more concerned with bystanders' reaction to guy brandishing a firearm, then the guy pulling his gun at a kid's rec basketball game.
That’s because you’re afraid of guns?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:17 pm

Ah yes, stoicism when an angry man decides to show a gun during an argument at a children's basketball game.

Yup.
nobody level of reading comprehension.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:17 pm

@realDonaldTrump
Obama Administration legalized bump stocks. BAD IDEA. As I promised, today the Department of Justice will issue the rule banning BUMP STOCKS with a mandated comment period. We will BAN all devices that turn legal weapons into illegal machine guns
Such a dumb talking point. Conflating absence of action with active permission/approval.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 pm

The way I look at it is the way I act when a baby does something that is not actually going to bring harm or hurt to itself. When it looks up to you and is going to gauge on your reaction how to handle the situation that is whether to ignore it or scream with vengeance. If the adults act like adults the kids will as well.

You know this is silly right? Not the point you’re making, but framing it as personal advice. Your perspective on most things seems to have little to do with people here. It doesn’t make it wrong. It just makes it not a great base to start a sentence with “we could all...”.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:27 pm

For example: seeing a guy pull out a gun during an argument is something, I’d wager, the large majority of people in this country never encounter. Even once. So maybe stoicism isn’t exactly expected behavior in this case. Maybe it’s jarring. Maybe these parents freaking out have some past trauma. Maybe they had legit reason to panic.

I’d also be interested in how stoicism applies to the dipstick pulling his gun out because a vagrant started making threats.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:34 pm

I think people are talking about their reactions because it’s basically agreed upon that he was a gigantic idiot and deserves whatever punishment that comes because of his actions. So what would be the purpose to discuss that?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:36 pm

You know this is silly right? Not the point you’re making, but framing it as personal advice. Your perspective on most things seems to have little to do with people here. It doesn’t make it wrong. It just makes it not a great base to start a sentence with “we could all...”.
1) Your pedantic oversight is boring.

2) Aren't you the one who thinks Michael Scott is a bad person?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:41 pm

:lol: