5AF Parenting Thread

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:58 am

Yeah my job is literally sit on meetings for like 6 hours a day. Hey if they wanna pay me to do that then cool. Mines also a great sleeper. Hell even wake up and just talk to himself for a half hour if I need some extra time

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:58 am

Absolutely no chance in hell could I watch a kid and WFH. I would get nothing done, between handling phone calls and actually working. I agree with C2I. That's a big 'ol LOL.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:59 am

That's basically where I'm at...I don't know **** about **** in this realm...

One of my best friends just had a baby two weeks ago...so I'll lean a little on that experience too...
Nobody knows **** about these little humans starting out, you seem like a smart guy, you'll be just fine. Crazy how much instinct comes into play. If all else fails, just get a st Bernard, I think they are good with kids

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:09 am

yeah my advice to new parents is 95% of the advice you get won’t end up working for you. figure it out for yourself

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:50 am

@mikey

2 reasons in my opinion why I'd avoid it if possible

1) stress - there have been a few days where the nanny called off or something came up. It's really stressful and exhausting to try to balance the two. It can be done, but is it worth saving a few bucks to put yourself through that? Ive become far more mindful of managing my stress and for me it isn't.

2) optics - it's a bad look among peers and underlings. Maybe it's an incorrect stigma, but correct or not it must be acknowledged. There is no way a person who is caring for their children during work hours is adding as much value as the same person who isn't. There is a peer of mine who has been watching her child for the 3.5 years she's been alive and believe me, people have made their opinions known to me (including people in her own reporting structure)...

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:52 am

One of my best friends just had a baby two weeks ago...so I'll lean a little on that experience too...
Nobody knows **** about these little humans starting out, you seem like a smart guy, you'll be just fine. Crazy how much instinct comes into play. If all else fails, just get a st Bernard, I think they are good with kids
I was scared shitless and what got me through was picking out a few known idiots and saying to myself "if that guy can figure it out, I can too"

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:58 am

I too believe in the value of sending a child to daycare for social interaction. I saw first hand people that had daycare experience pre-covid, and people going back into daycare or starting post-covid.

Some of them had real rough transitions.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:16 pm

I remember my mom stayed home with us until we went to pre-school/4K. I don't remember hearing about socialization issues back then. Imagine a time where you could own a house and not have two full time working parents (my mom worked a part time job until she got her real estate license in 1988 in Pittsburgh, and worked for Howard Hanna). This was suburban Boston, too, not this rural ass state I live in now with a low cost of living (and a low standard of living) :lol:

Am I turning into an old crank?

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:22 pm

I was scared shitless and what got me through was picking out a few known idiots and saying to myself "if that guy can figure it out, I can too"
Glad I can be of service

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:26 pm

I remember my mom stayed home with us until we went to pre-school/4K. I don't remember hearing about socialization issues back then. Imagine a time where you could own a house and not have two full time working parents (my mom worked a part time job until she got her real estate license in 1988 in Pittsburgh, and worked for Howard Hanna). This was suburban Boston, too, not this rural ass state I live in now with a low cost of living (and a low standard of living) :lol:

Am I turning into an old crank?
That's how we raised our kids. My wife just went back to work last year after 16 years. Not gonna lie, it was hard as **** at times not having that second income, but we got through it and I think we are all the better for it. When you don't have any money to spend and live paycheck to paycheck like that for that long, it opens your eyes in all kinds of ways.

mikey

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mikey » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:41 pm

This is basically my default method of trying to deal with stuff that I'm not confident about... :thumb:

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:45 pm

I think the growth of technology and the children basically being introduced to it right away, coupled with lack of interaction is a hard thing to handle.

We give our son sporadic time on the ipad - because he gets sucked into the void and loses all time/reality.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:47 pm

Not a day goes by that I am thankful we didn't have cell phones when I was a kid. I despise them now after seeing how kids use them. I swear they would rather have relationships on their phone than in person

Pavel Bure

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:27 pm

I think the growth of technology and the children basically being introduced to it right away, coupled with lack of interaction is a hard thing to handle.

We give our son sporadic time on the ipad - because he gets sucked into the void and loses all time/reality.
The void is real. We took away YouTube in its entirety about 3 months ago and the change is noticeable.

Nuge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Nuge » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:39 pm

I swear they would rather have relationships on their phone than in person
I defintely think this is true.
The void is real. We took away YouTube in its entirety about 3 months ago and the change is noticeable.
We took YouTube away too. Too much stuff on there that a little kid doesn't need to be exposed to.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:00 am

I 100% hate Youtube with a passion for kids. We made the mistake of giving that to our son during covid, because it was the only time we could actually get work down - and pulling him off of it was like breaking a drug addiction.

I hate Ryan, I hate the russian kids (all of them), and any other show that has kids playing with expensive toys continually thinking that it's just easy to go get new ones.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:15 am

Yep. Adley, Ryan, are all so annoying. I need to get better about controlling what he can watch. We watched some science themed show doing experiments and stuff and he loved it. Watch that stuff not this crap of people doing challenges and filming their millionaire lifestyle.

Pavel Bure

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:19 am

Yep. Adley, Ryan, are all so annoying. I need to get better about controlling what he can watch. We watched some science themed show doing experiments and stuff and he loved it. Watch that stuff not this crap of people doing challenges and filming their millionaire lifestyle.
My wife and I call most of that stuff “junk food” videos. The kids seem to get that. There’s no substance. Just yelling or fake interactions or thinly veiled advertisements. My oldest literally hears or sees things now and recognizes when a company is just trying to sell you something. Mobile games are another void that have to be monitored because they show a commercial every 30 seconds which can be just about anything.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:19 am

Is this stuff available on youtube kids? That's what we have on our daughter's iPad and it's all cartoon stuff.

Pavel Bure

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:23 am

Is this stuff available on youtube kids? That's what we have on our daughter's iPad and it's all cartoon stuff.
YouTube kids needs to be monitored. There are weird things on there and other things that can be downright sexual. A lot of the stuff the algorithm pushes just feels vaguely “off.” Learn how to block channels but for sure monitor it and look at the history.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:37 am

Yeah, we had to block YouTube on everything for a long time, right on the router level for their devices. Only within the last couple of years did we let them watch anything on there. Our big issue is with TikTok. Just the disinformation alone, nevermind the black hole they fall into when using it. My 17 year old, who is pretty sharp if I do say so myself, was eating breakfast and watching TikTok. Some jackhole came up complaining about vaccinations. My son mumbled, "**** off," and moved onto another video. He realized what he said, as I looked over at him and we both laughed. :lol: At least he knows bullshit when he hears it.

Now his younger brother, on the other hand... :shock:

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:56 am

Yes, and the problem I have is that you can block the main accounts, but people copy and copy and copy because they're crazy ad drivers. But it's all there.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:57 am

Yep. I let my kid have YouTube for decompressing in the evening after school. Everyone needs to melt their brain for a little while. After dinner though it's reading or something else.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:12 am

We usually give 30 minutes of TV/iPad if he's earned it. Some nights more than others, but stick to the 30 minute bit.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:43 pm

YouTube kids needs to be monitored. There are weird things on there and other things that can be downright sexual. A lot of the stuff the algorithm pushes just feels vaguely “off.” Learn how to block channels but for sure monitor it and look at the history.
Yep. A lot of creepy stuff on there, closest comparison for me are the Times Square characters. A lot of it is just off/weird