Randomness Dos

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:01 pm

I mean, that would be a trick, because I've cooked for a couple of them.

Unless it's all a part of her ruse..................

AuthorTony

Randomness Dos

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:20 pm

Whenever I think being self-employed kind of sucks, I read things like this where apparently you should be forced to socialize with your coworkers during off hours and, if you refuse, you're viewed as lazy/uncaring/not a good employee and I think, "Yeah, I better stay self-employed."

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:56 pm

Source of the post The manager found me on LinkedIn Thursday
So, for an idiot like me who is solely sending in applications for jobs, would creating a LinkedIn profile help increase my success rate/actually obtain an interview?

Sorry, I'm like 6 pages behind and am catching up for the day.
No worries, I just caught up myself. Yes, I 100% recommend it. You have to remember (as I've learned), when you are applying to jobs, you are generally going up against 20-100 people who are all applying for the same role. Why not give yourself another outlet where you can be contacted directly?

This manager sent me a msg on LinkedIn just saying "Hi, I see we share some connections, I'm seeking a ***** at our HQ in Lancaster, would you be interested?". I'm not sure if she interviewed anyone else yesterday, but at most it was one other person. I basically skipped straight to the final step.

After being let down after weeks-long application processes, this was nice.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Wow, I'm so glad that I went /sarcasm

All we did was sit on the project manager's parents in law deck and eat food while talking. It was such a small deal. Oh and someone on my team left after like 40 minutes to go to a chiropractor. Yea, that's a great excuse.

And yes I'm salty. But I was able to leave early enough to get to the game by the end of the first half anyway

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:59 pm

In today's age, you shouldn't not have LinkedIn - that gives people the ability to research what you're about without having to ask.

AuthorTony

Randomness Dos

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Congrats on the job, Shad!

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:01 pm

Whenever I think being self-employed kind of sucks, I read things like this where apparently you should be forced to socialize with your coworkers during off hours and, if you refuse, you're viewed as lazy/uncaring/not a good employee and I think, "Yeah, I better stay self-employed."
Yeah, this is why I eventually want to eventually become self-employed. I'm not someone that buys in to this "care about the company" thing that modern businesses have. The only reason I'm here is to make money, I couldnt care less about the company

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Congrats on the job, Shad!
Thank you sir. I even spoiled myself with an extra week in between :D

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Wow, I'm so glad that I went /sarcasm

All we did was sit on the project manager's parents in law deck and eat food while talking. It was such a small deal. Oh and someone on my team left after like 40 minutes to go to a chiropractor. Yea, that's a great excuse.

And yes I'm salty. But I was able to leave early enough to get to the game by the end of the first half anyway
All you had to do was make an appearance. You're doing just enough to not upset people and they'll remember you for that.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Source of the post And yes I'm salty.
I trust you upperdecked her crapper?

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Yeah, this is why I eventually want to eventually become self-employed. I'm not someone that buys in to this "care about the company" thing that modern businesses have. The only reason I'm here is to make money, I couldnt care less about the company
It has nothing to do about the company at all. It has more to do about looking good and presenting that you care about yourself and the professionals you work with. Clearly the point was missed.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:05 pm

Haha I dont know why you guys think she wants to **** me. I mean, she doesn't even cross my radar...

Algernon

Randomness Dos

Postby Algernon » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:09 pm

Haha I dont know why you guys think she wants to **** me. I mean, she doesn't even cross my radar...
That's not what that means

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:12 pm

That's not what that means
Hold on...let's see where he's going with this...

I'm not into butt stuff, but if MIMH is, more power to him...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:13 pm

Yeah I just realized what you meant.

I mean, it makes sense both ways...

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:21 pm

Good attitude, keep it up...you'll be peeing in her butthole before you know it (or however you do it)...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:25 pm

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:38 pm

I tried to use sh***** but Google China.

Algernon

Randomness Dos

Postby Algernon » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi, I'm 12 and what is this?

Sam's Drunk Dog

Randomness Dos

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:51 pm

H2Peebutt

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:21 pm

I wouldn't mind it if it were something like a Japanese nomikai (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomikai). Basically it's perfectly acceptable, and pretty much expected, for coworkers to go out occasionally and get s***faced.

PFiDC

Randomness Dos

Postby PFiDC » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:42 pm

I've been let go from a job I had just started (within 45 days) because I "didn't seem like I was fitting in". This was 2 days after I declined gong to an off hours company gathering.

Small company. About 35 employees. It wasn't a dinner at a coworkers in-laws place (weird...) But it was a happy hour/bowling thing. Ever since then I've never declined unless I had a legit reason.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:18 am

It has nothing to do about the company at all. It has more to do about looking good and presenting that you care about yourself and the professionals you work with. Clearly the point was missed.
It's staggering to me that after two days of this - and actually going to the event - he still doesn't get that this is about how he presents himself to his peers, not doing something for 'the company'.

Algernon

Randomness Dos

Postby Algernon » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:29 am

my life is weird
Last edited by Algernon on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:35 am