Randomness Dos

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:30 pm

it's not even about networking. showing that you're engaged with the company is important. i manage people who do exactly what you do. if they blow off work events for soccer games, they aren't going to have a great future under me unless they drastically change their tune.
that sounds awful

I don't want my work to dictate my life. Maybe it's because I'm young and stupid but that's where I am right now

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:34 pm

Is being invited to a co-workers house for a team dinner normal in the U.S.? I don't think I've ever heard of that happening over here. :?
No.

Luncheon, sure. Dinner at a residence during off hours? Abnormal.

NAN

Randomness Dos

Postby NAN » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:34 pm

being a "low rung code writer" is still better than the vast majority of jobs, so I'm fine with that
And that is fine.

Just don't be shocked or complaining if an opportunity came up that you were passed over and question why.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:34 pm

If I held a dinner at my house for co-workers and one did what you did, I'd try like hell to get you removed from the company - for several reasons.

You obviously aren't committed to the company. You are choosing beer league soccer over a team-building exercise for a major company product.

You are a software developer. There are approximately 1 billion other software developers out there to replace you.

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:36 pm

it's not even about networking. showing that you're engaged with the company is important. i manage people who do exactly what you do. if they blow off work events for soccer games, they aren't going to have a great future under me unless they drastically change their tune.
that sounds awful

I don't want my work to dictate my life. Maybe it's because I'm young and stupid but that's where I am right now
there are plenty of perfectly legitimate reasons to not do something work-related off hours. you've provided one that puts you in the category of "doesn't care".

and by not having a great future, i'm not firing anyone. but they are going to do the exact same job for their tenure at the company. which i guess is what you're looking for.

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:36 pm

also, I think you guys are selling how in demand software engineers are in general. I had almost no problem finding this job (After only a year at my previous position) and don't think I would have any problem finding another one if something goes wrong
Again, if you want to be a low rung code writer for most of your career, that is fine. If you want to move up in the world, then when people start seeing constant job changes, red flags are going to go up.
We've passed on hiring because of that, tbh. Frequent job hoppers have a negative perception unless it can be explained with contract work.

Craig

Randomness Dos

Postby Craig » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:36 pm

It seems strange to me that someone just entering the work force is so confident that they know better than a bunch of people who have been in the work force for a decade plus.

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:36 pm

that sounds awful

Get an IT job at a University that covers you under a union. You won't ever be bothered before/after your set hours.

Pavement

Randomness Dos

Postby Pavement » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:37 pm

Is being invited to a co-workers house for a team dinner normal in the U.S.? I don't think I've ever heard of that happening over here. :?
No.

Maybe this is just a ploy so the manager can get MIMH into bed?

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:38 pm

Interesting read on the subject that coincidentally was shared by the CTO of ChefSteps on Monday:

Smart and Gets Things Done Are Not Enough

You can have the drone developers.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:38 pm

also, I think you guys are selling how in demand software engineers are in general. I had almost no problem finding this job (After only a year at my previous position) and don't think I would have any problem finding another one if something goes wrong
Again, if you want to be a low rung code writer for most of your career, that is fine. If you want to move up in the world, then when people start seeing constant job changes, red flags are going to go up.
We've passed on hiring because of that, tbh. Frequent job hoppers have a negative perception unless it can be explained with contract work.
I read something recently that people who don't job hop after 4-5 years are viewed as unmotivated.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:38 pm

maybe I should just move to Scotland

robbiestoupe

Randomness Dos

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:39 pm

No.

Maybe this is just a ploy so the manager can get MIMH into bed?
There are laws protecting children in the US too, you know?

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:40 pm

If I held a dinner at my house for co-workers and one did what you did, I'd try like hell to get you removed from the company - for several reasons.

You obviously aren't committed to the company. You are choosing beer league soccer over a team-building exercise for a major company product.

You are a software developer. There are approximately 1 billion other software developers out there to replace you.
That's a lot extreme.

NAN

Randomness Dos

Postby NAN » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:41 pm

I read something recently that people who don't job hop after 4-5 years are viewed as unmotivated.
Our company encourages switching jobs within the company every 3-4 years. It is unfavorably viewed if you have the same position for a long period of time for the reason you state.

But I think what MIMHB is saying is that if he isn't happy or his bosses are not happy, he can just hop around to different companies every few years. We've also passed on people that constantly change companies in a short period of time.
Last edited by NAN on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:41 pm

Dinner at a residence during off hours? Abnormal.
Mrs Tif has been to about a dozen of them in the past two years.

slappybrown

Randomness Dos

Postby slappybrown » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:41 pm

Some of the most successful people I've worked with have often told me they view their careers in 5 year chunks. Some of them have been at the same place for 30 years, because they met internal career bogeys that resulted in new 5-year targets being put into place while keeping the same job. Some of them have been at 3 or 4 different places over 15-20 years.

For me, at least, I thought this was a good way to plan both long and short term for what I want my career to look like.

Also, I suspect Malka is talking about people who have 3 jobs in 5 years. I don't think being at two places in a decade, for example, would be viewed as "job-hopping." Or, at least, I would not when I was interviewing a candidate.

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:42 pm

Very true as well. I think 4 years is the sweet spot for more of the technical type jobs. Spending a long time at one position, really could make you complacent when it comes to coding.

Craig

Randomness Dos

Postby Craig » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:42 pm

Beer league soccer sounds horrible. At least as compared to what i think of with beer league softball.

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:43 pm

Some of the most successful people I've worked with have often told me they view their careers in 5 year chunks. Some of them have been at the same place for 30 years, because they met internal career bogeys that resulted in new 5-year targets being put into place while keeping the same job. Some of them have been at 3 or 4 different places over 15-20 years.

For me, at least, I thought this was a good way to plan both long and short term for what I want my career to look like.

Also, I suspect Malka is talking about people who have 3 jobs in 5 years. I don't think being at two places in a decade, for example, would be viewed as "job-hopping." Or, at least, I would not when I was interviewing a candidate.
Yes, people that have a track record like that are often questions for the motivations of leaving, and more scrutiny is placed on their background, imo. May be unfair, may be circumstance, but it's certainly looked at.

I left that job after one year when I talked to you Slappy, I was questioned on more than one occasion why I was leaving the last company so early.

NAN

Randomness Dos

Postby NAN » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:43 pm

Dinner at a residence during off hours? Abnormal.
Mrs Tif has been to about a dozen of them in the past two years.
There has been manager meetings at the GMs or Corporate Controllers home as well where I work.

Maybe it's a new thing. And the first one I was invited to, the manager hosting was from France, so I don't think it's just a US thing.

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:44 pm

Our company encourages switching jobs within the company every 3-4 years. It is unfavorably viewed if you have the same position for a long period of time for the reason you state.
That make sense and why I very much enjoy working at an University.

slappybrown

Randomness Dos

Postby slappybrown » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:45 pm

Yes, people that have a track record like that are often questions for the motivations of leaving, and more scrutiny is placed on their background, imo. May be unfair, may be circumstance, but it's certainly looked at.

I left that job after one year when I talked to you Slappy, I was questioned on more than one occasion why I was leaving the last company so early.
Your company would not be very good at vetting candidates if they did not do a deep dive into why you were leaving within one year.

Pavement

Randomness Dos

Postby Pavement » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:45 pm

maybe I should just move to Scotland
You should. I'd probably invite you round for dinner.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:45 pm

pretty sure you'd throw up before drinking a beer before a soccer game