Randomness Dos

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:49 pm

Standard stuff. Trips compromised/ruined without recourse and using the FCC as armor for things like travel flexibility. And I’m currently hanging out on the tarmac 45 mins after landing because of no discernible reason. And whatever reason that is I’m sure could be solved by an operational overhaul that has no reason to take place - because we have no rights as customers.

It’s an absolute monopoly. And they have no motive to make our experience less awful.

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:51 pm

We landed 3 hours ago. Still on tarmac. They are now breaking the law.

Which means they get fined and we get nothing. Because the cost of the fine is less than the cost of messing with another flight to get us to use the gate.

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:57 pm

We landed 3 hours ago. Still on tarmac. They are now breaking the law.

Which means they get fined and we get nothing. Because the cost of the fine is less than the cost of messing with another flight to get us to use the gate.
Holy crap. Are you at PHL?

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:00 pm

Yeah. But the plot thickens. They magically found a gate for us right before the 3 hour mark to avoid the fine. What a **** coincidence.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Randomness Dos

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:56 pm

Very lucky!

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:30 am

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:18 am

There were rumblings of this on the flight. That the mechanics were sandbagging it intentionally. Maybe the weather triggered a micro protest.

But it’s sort of a secondary issue. The industry has no motivation to act ethically, as the airlines keep consolidating. So how does it not continue to get worse? Aside from being allowed to listen to music during takeoff, there isn’t anything that’s improved the customer experience since I’ve been flying. it’s been going the opposite way, even. It’s depressing

Gaucho

Randomness Dos

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:31 am

Entropy.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:52 am

There were rumblings of this on the flight. That the mechanics were sandbagging it intentionally. Maybe the weather triggered a micro protest.

But it’s sort of a secondary issue. The industry has no motivation to act ethically, as the airlines keep consolidating. So how does it not continue to get worse? Aside from being allowed to listen to music during takeoff, there isn’t anything that’s improved the customer experience since I’ve been flying. it’s been going the opposite way, even. It’s depressing
I don't disagree. I've had a very good experience with American overall, since I've been flying with them exclusively for the past decade or so, but you're absolutely right - enough progress hasn't been made in terms of customer experience. Hell, they would win huge - nay, YUGE - points from me if they simply started removing the mass of people sitting in zone 256 from standing in front of the lines at the gate. And that wouldn't cost them a penny.

In-flight entertainment is getting a little better, with you now being able to watch a few dozen relatively new movies onboard for free via the AA and Gogo InFlight apps, but since they've been moving away from adding in-seat entertainment screens due to the sheer number of devices everyone now carries, retrofitting cabins with USB or power outlets in every class would be a big win. The same can possibly be said for offering free wifi. Because let's be honest, only an insane person pays those rates for shoddy wireless connections.

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:34 am

I usually fly on the company dime, so I get to bask in that AOL speed at my liesure.

I just think they need to redo the operational model to allow for more flexibility/nimbleness. That would go a long way. Last night was an example. Build a system to usher planes to a safety valve gate, whose purpose is to deplane only. Have 2 or 3 of these per terminal. Another example...We got to the airport 55 minutes before takeoff on a quiet day. But they told us we could get on the plane - but our bags could not. Ok...how about you load our bags on the next flight (which they did) and let us on the current flight (which they didn’t). Read that back. They flew our bags down without us and wouldn’t let us on our original, paid for flight as well. I called, argued, told the bank to dispute the 2k I spent. But in the end, we paid for a ticket we didn’t use, drove 10 hours that day instead, and our bags beat us there by half a day. Why is this allowed when the stakes are high and the costs are higher?

The use the FAA in these situations as armor to say, “not our fault”. And yes - there’s some truth there. But only a little. The solution was right there, with no downside. But we were denied and they stole our money. I can’t imagine another consumer facing industry acting so unethically.

...besides health insurance.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:42 am

Oof, that sounds painful. As for the gates, nobody will ever convince me that they can't simply change the gate on a dime and park the plane there - especially at PHL, which is a large airport. On our return flight from MYR, we were over 4 hours late getting back, and still sat in the plane while they "found us a gate". We passed nearly a dozen empty gates in F on our way to the one on the end after a 20 minute delay.

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:02 am

if they simply started removing the mass of people sitting in zone 256 from standing in front of the lines at the gate. And that wouldn't cost them a penny.
A to the fcking men. It is infuriating having to wade through a sea of humanity to board the plane in Zone 1/2, and it never fails that the people in the latter zones act indignant that I am daring to ask them to get the hell out of the way.[/quote]
We passed nearly a dozen empty gates in F on our way to the one on the end after a 20 minute delay.
Oh my yes. There are a sea of gates there, and they have a relatively simple runway configuration. It definitely should not be that difficult.

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:06 am

They would have to pay money to update their operational model. A lot of money. So they keep the outside terminals running like they did a million years ago. Otherwise they need to audit every airport, pay for an FAA audit, pay additional $$$ in liability protection, retrain staff, install new equipment, yada yada.

But you know what businesses do stuff like this? All of them. Because of competition. Which is now gone.

RonnieFranchise

Randomness Dos

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:11 am

Gate lice is my #1 issue. I am a lowly gold member on AA but I have started asking people standing there and not budging once they call Zone 4 “EXCUSE ME ARE YOU IN ZONE 4?” Of course they aren’s. So I go around them and run over their foot with my roll aboard (only semi true) . It’s bad everywhere but ORD seems worse for this.

I don’t really recall being left on the plane after landing for too long although they have been short of gates at DCA a couple times. Sat there longer than the freaking flight one Sunday en route to skins game.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Randomness Dos

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:43 am

mikey really must have gotten #inone

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:58 am

Yeah...things really got off the rails there... *exasperated whistle*

Gaucho

Randomness Dos

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:30 pm

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:34 pm

Sync’d to Raining Blood... :lol:

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:33 pm

My wife bought Beyond Burgers, so I cooked them up today. Here is my review.

They smell like cat food out of the package, and have the same aftertaste when cooked. Never again, and I will be cooking steak twice this week to make up for this misadventure.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:43 pm

My man.

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:58 pm

They smell like cat food out of the package, and have the same aftertaste when cooked. Never again, and I will be cooking steak twice this week to make up for this misadventure.
I have no idea what a beyond burger is and thanks to your courage, I will never have to find out.

skullman80

Randomness Dos

Postby skullman80 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:02 pm

:thumb: :thumb:

Dickie Dunn

Randomness Dos

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:10 pm

Good on you. Just say no to peas and canola oil and saw dust pretending to be meat.

blackjack68

Randomness Dos

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:15 pm

Aw, hell no! Those things will not darken my door, nor grill!

Lemon Berry Lobster

Randomness Dos

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Good on you. Just say no to peas and canola oil and saw dust pretending to be meat.
@mikey