Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:09 pm

Wait, there's people that think the country is doing well...?

I'm not saying we're all gonna die, but we're in a bit of a fix, ya figure, no?
We've reached the unemployment percentage that Mittens pledged he would achieve as President.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:11 pm

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status ... 1635317766

I choose to interpret this as good news.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:11 pm

it's all comparative though

this is like saying (before this season, obviously) the Pens suck and choke all the time. I mean, we see it that way because we had only won one Cup in the Sid/Geno era, but what about the 28 teams that aren't the Blackhawks/Kings/Bruins that hadn't sniffed a cup before this. Or like when Steelers fans here complain after every loss, saying it's "vintage Steelers"

I mean, in all honesty, which country would you rather live in than the US right now? Is the list more than 5 countries, if even that?

I'm not saying there arne't problems and I'm not saying "'we shouldn't try to fix things that are broken because America is the bestest", but I think a lot of the problems we perceive are terrible and horrible in the US are not nearly as bad as we think they are. But cmon, when one of our biggest issues is "which bathroom should people use", I am confident that the US is doing pretty ok
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:14 pm

The only other country I think I'd consider moving to is Spain, and that's solely for - if I'm being honest - entirely irrational food-related reasons.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:14 pm

What is the value of unemployment percentage though? Serious conversational question, not spiteful trolling. If other economic factors are working against positive things happening plus the very definition of "unemployment percentage" is a touch misleading, as I recall too...

I don't know, I think they're are much bigger negatives draining on the economy than an unemployment percentage...but I suppose I'll take the positive in light of my remark...

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:16 pm

That really isn't news. Not factoring in streaming, which probably enlarges the margin of error significantly on these things, since '04 only includes two other elections...

"This is the snowiest February 29th in almost 12 years!"

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:17 pm

What is the value of [corsi] percentage though? Serious conversational question, not spiteful trolling. If other [hockey] factors are working against positive things happening plus the very definition of "[corsi] percentage" is a touch misleading, as I recall too...

I don't know, I think they're are much bigger negatives draining on the [team] than [a] [corsi] percentage...but I suppose I'll take the positive in light of my remark...

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:18 pm

That's not accounting for the viewing parties. :slug:

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:20 pm

Source of the post I mean, in all honesty, which country would you rather live in than the US right now? Is the list more than 5 countries, if even that?

I'm not saying there arne't problems and I'm not saying "'we shouldn't try to fix things that are broken because America is the bestest", but I think a lot of the problems we perceive are terrible and horrible in the US are not nearly as bad as we think they are. But cmon, when one of our biggest issues is "which bathroom should people use", I am confident that the US is doing pretty ok
This is normally the approach I take too. "In the grand scheme, I'm fine." But I'm comparing America to America. Not to like Africa where they fell 1000 years behind everyone else in civilization...who cares.

Plus, the way this is trending: with race wars and islam and the economy management (if not the economy itself in the foreground), more and more extraconstitutional presidencies, etc. I don't know, it just doesn't seem like the start to a good recipe...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:22 pm

What is the value of unemployment percentage though? Serious conversational question, not spiteful trolling. If other economic factors are working against positive things happening plus the very definition of "unemployment percentage" is a touch misleading, as I recall too...

I don't know, I think they're are much bigger negatives draining on the economy than an unemployment percentage...but I suppose I'll take the positive in light of my remark...
I think it depends on how many people are "underemployed", which means folks that are working below their skill levels. I think in most cases underemployed is preferable to unemployed. In an environment where there's high unemployment there are labor market supply pressures that depress wages.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:23 pm

lulz. You have all of the sound bytes rehearsed.
I'm just amused by how the GOP water carriers always carped about about the "negativity" of liberals and now are celebrating their own....um realism.

It's called being a hypocrite, something everyone in this thread are experts at.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:29 pm

it's all comparative though

this is like saying (before this season, obviously) the Pens suck and choke all the time. I mean, we see it that way because we had only won one Cup in the Sid/Geno era, but what about the 28 teams that aren't the Blackhawks/Kings/Bruins that hadn't sniffed a cup before this.

I mean, in all honesty, which country would you rather live in than the US right now? Is the list more than 5 countries, if even that?

Interesting analogy and one I agree with.

Today, I had a conversation with a guy who immigrated from India fifteen years ago and though he expressed an abiding fondness for the country of his birth he said one couldn't possibly appreciate the "astounding difference" between the two countries with regard to "quality of life" aspect. On another note, he spoke of 'child labor' in a way I'd never considered. According to him "many, many children, some as young as nine or ten" vigorously pursue employment and are "very proud" to have done so, for "supporting your family" in many parts of India is considered both a necessity and a virtue. I'm looking forward to speaking with him again and intend to ask him to elaborate on the obvious question's: how long do they work? how many day's a week? what about school?

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:30 pm

That really isn't news. Not factoring in streaming, which probably enlarges the margin of error significantly on these things, since '04 only includes two other elections...

"This is the snowiest February 29th in almost 12 years!"
I forget sometimes you're not a stats guy ;)

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:32 pm

Does anyone think it's ridiculous how much Obama sticks his nose into the election?

I don't remember Bill Clinton or George bush saying much about it. I think it is kind of classless.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Source of the post I mean, in all honesty, which country would you rather live in than the US right now? Is the list more than 5 countries, if even that?

This is normally the approach I take too. "In the grand scheme, I'm fine." But I'm comparing America to America. Not to like Africa where they fell 1000 years behind everyone else in civilization...who cares.

Plus, the way this is trending: with race wars and islam and the economy management (if not the economy itself in the foreground), more and more extraconstitutional presidencies, etc. I don't know, it just doesn't seem like the start to a good recipe...
but has America ever really been better than now? Race relations between pre-1965 and post are in different universes, so that's a win for post-1965.

And the economy isn't exactly squarely in our control...I mean, what country that isn't China isn't suffering right now? The EU is on the verge of collapse. And from the looks of it, Europe has a worse "Islam problem" than we do right now

don't tell me you're an idealist, like the people who claim "world peace is attainable" and "if poor people worked harder they wouldn't be poor". There's a ton of fundamental disagreements when dealing with humanity, it's just impossible to try to solve all of them. For example, there will always be the Hitlers, Osamas, Atilla the huns of the world...and because of that, there will always be some measure of death and torment

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:38 pm

Does anyone think it's ridiculous how much Obama sticks his nose into the election?

I don't remember Bill Clinton or George bush saying much about it. I think it is kind of classless.
There were political reasons why Clinton and Bush campaigning for their successor would have been a net negative. That's not the case with Obama.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:40 pm

That's not accounting for the viewing parties. :slug:
Nor online viewers :slug:

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:43 pm

There were political reasons why Clinton and Bush campaigning for their successor would have been a net negative. That's not the case with Obama.
Yeah, that has to be a right-land observation where Obama favorability ratings are ignored.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:44 pm

Overall? Yes. Not everything is 'doom and gloom', unless you only pay attention to MSNBC, Fox News, and CNN.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:44 pm

True, but I don't feel it is appropriate. I'd say the same if this was a republican.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:47 pm

Overall? Yes. Not everything is 'doom and gloom', unless you only pay attention to MSNBC, Fox News, and CNN.

I didn't know that the average family losing over 4K in average income was considered doing well. Learn something new every day.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:47 pm

True, but I don't feel it is appropriate. I'd say the same if this was a republican.
Eh, I don't really have a problem with it. Politicians gonna politic.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:48 pm

Eh, I don't really have a problem with it. Politicians gonna politic.

I don't mind them endorsing and such, what I do mind is actual campaigning and flying to different areas on tax payer money to speak about their candidate.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:48 pm

Couple that with in recent US history there hasn't been a candidate of Trump level love or hate. He's the most non-meh candidate I can remember.