Religion Discussion Thread

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:36 pm

First off, apologies if I ever come across as snarky or kinda brunt when discussing religion... that's my education (two degrees in it, soon going for a third). It's the one thing I'm confident in discussing. I don't mean to brag or anything (I'm probably foolish to be focusing on it like this instead of getting real degrees :P ); I'm just trying to say why I may sound dismissive or flippant. I'm happy to discuss / answer questions, though, as I've told folks on this board before. Again, apologies if I sound kinda jerk-ish - it's why I hesitate to join in until I see something way off.

I'm a Presbyterian Christian.
Last edited by Avyran on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Where did you go? When I went to SVC I minored in RS just out of personal interest. I looked at a dual Law/Divinity program at Duquense for a second, until I realized what it was. ;)

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:38 pm

You're only snarky about the quality of other people's gifs. :slug:

Honestly, I've never noticed that from you at all.

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:45 pm

I'm a deist because that's as far as science can take me. I think everything after the Big Bang happened according to natural law. Where the original ball of matter came from and what happened before that? Who knows, and I allow for the possibility of there being a higher being/society that created it. I don't believe in divine intervention or anything like that. Watchmaker God stuff. I've felt this way since my teens but discovered the name for it while in a college history class and it clicked into place as an actual thing.

The thing that separates me from Atheists is that I allow for the possibility of God, and I don't care who knows I'm a deist and I only bring it up in this context. *jab* ;)

There is more I'll say later but I want this passage to stand on its own.
Good stuff.

I keep asking (admittedly very snarkily at TOB, so this is non-snark v2) what happened before the Big Bang for this very reason. I personally believe that BB very well could have happened as theorized; I have a difficult time with Old Testament writings about Adam/Eve as related to what form humans on Earth took and how they got here - which means I'm comfortable with Evolution, as to me, fossil records are good evidence.

Where I'm at now is the possibility that God created the universe via BB (Catholic profession of says has a great line that says "through Him all things were made" which very well could translate to Watchmaker - He went 'bam!' and look what happened, and did send JC at a specific point in time when needed). This might reconcile the non-religious science with the religious creationism.

I'm also comfortable with the idea that He really doesn't feel obligated to have man know everything, so in that sense, the Old Testament laws and events were fine for the times; e.g., you need to know what you need to know, and don't be a wang.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:52 pm

So do the writings in the old testament have any bearing, in your opinion, on today's idea of morality?

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:56 pm

I'm a deist because that's as far as science can take me. I think everything after the Big Bang happened according to natural law. Where the original ball of matter came from and what happened before that? Who knows, and I allow for the possibility of there being a higher being/society that created it. I don't believe in divine intervention or anything like that. Watchmaker God stuff. I've felt this way since my teens but discovered the name for it while in a college history class and it clicked into place as an actual thing.

The thing that separates me from Atheists is that I allow for the possibility of God, and I don't care who knows I'm a deist and I only bring it up in this context. *jab* ;)

Where I'm at now is the possibility that God created the universe via BB (Catholic profession of says has a great line that says "through Him all things were made" which very well could translate to Watchmaker - He went 'bam!' and look what happened, and did send JC at a specific point in time when needed). This might reconcile the non-religious science with the religious creationism.
This is where I am as well, right up to the JC part. I would posit that man created JCs divinity to create a religion, not the other way around. It seems like the Occams Razor answer to me which parlays into how one would interpret the First Council of Nicaea. The differences of opinion about this paragraph highlights the fork where you and I part ways.

Good get on that line, though. I never thought of it that way. Have the Catholics been on to something all along? ;)

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:00 pm

So do the writings in the old testament have any bearing, in your opinion, on today's idea of morality?
Maybe a couple examples of what you're thinking would help, perhaps some specific passages or more abstracted ideas, because OT has loads of stuff about laws of man, what God said, what was allowed/not allowed, etc.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Where did you go? When I went to SVC I minored in RS just out of personal interest. I looked at a dual Law/Divinity program at Duquense for a second, until I realized what it was. ;)
Went to Grove City College (pretty frickin' conservative, but good education) for religion & history, then went to seminary with a focus on history... and will be going for another degree in Christian history, focusing on East Asian stuff (particularly Korea). I really enjoy scrutinizing & critically looking at history / religious thought.

Though I'm somewhat conservative in my beliefs/approach, Grove City'd view me as liberal, I'd bet.

St. Vincent's got a pretty campus; I liked it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:07 pm

It's low hanging fruit to pick the odd/archaic stuff out of the OT so I'll let it pass.

*slips on wool/linen mixed shirt, walks away*

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:07 pm

This is where I am as well, right up to the JC part. I would posit that man created JCs divinity to create a religion, not the other way around. It seems like the Occams Razor answer to me which parlays into how one would interpret the First Council of Nicaea. The differences of opinion about this paragraph highlights the fork where you and I part ways.

Good get on that line, though. I never thought of it that way. Have the Catholics been on to something all along? ;)
Ok, good take. I disagree on the man-created notion of JC's divinity because I believe in all of the chronicaling of what JC actually said (He was very clear about who he was, His relation to God, and what it meant to believe in Him) and what happened to him - that he was indeed crucified, in fact died and was buried, and rose as predicted.

So, in total respect I ask this, and will not snark regardless of the response: do you think that some/a lot/maybe all of what was written about JC (OT/NT, including quotes attributed to him and written by others), is a grand farce?

I totally know that man has proven able to produce deceptions of epic grandeur, but to me, there's too much chronicled in too many ways to not believe it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:08 pm

Maybe a couple examples of what you're thinking would help, perhaps some specific passages or more abstracted ideas, because OT has loads of stuff about laws of man, what God said, what was allowed/not allowed, etc.
I suppose a lot of it has to do with homosexuality, what you can and cannot eat, what you can an cannot wear, etc. Mostly Leviticus. I think there is a lot of hatred toward homosexuals (obviously only from some) that is backed by the old testament, however many of the laws in that same book are simply brushed off. I recall growing up in the Catholic church being told numerous times that you cannot pick and choose the parts of the bible you believe. It's all or nothing. I think there are more and more progressive Christians that recognize that go against that idea and stick mostly to the new testament.

To me, reading through the old testament I see an angry, jealous, vindictive God, and reading through the new testament I see a loving accepting God. The differences are very striking.

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:09 pm

It's low hanging fruit to pick the odd/archaic stuff out of the OT so I'll let it pass.

*slips on wool/linen mixed shirt, walks away*
I think that's the nature of c2i's legit question, though, so fair game.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Went to Grove City College (pretty frickin' conservative, but good education) for religion & history, then went to seminary with a focus on history... and will be going for another degree in Christian history, focusing on East Asian stuff (particularly Korea). I really enjoy scrutinizing & critically looking at history / religious thought.

Though I'm somewhat conservative in my beliefs/approach, Grove City'd view me as liberal, I'd bet.

A girl I dated went to Grove City and enjoyed it. Honestly, your degree path sounds like Heaven (hah) from a pure interest standpoint, something I'd do if I had a thousand lives to live. I really think understanding religion is a precursor to understanding other cultures and is extremely valuable. I'm really glad I got to meet and work with Muslims in Afghanistan because it has shaped my picture of that faith in a good way, even living the hell first hand of what the bad people are doing to exploit it.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:14 pm

A girl I dated went to Grove City and enjoyed it. Honestly, your degree path sounds like Heaven (hah) from a pure interest standpoint, something I'd do if I had a thousand lives to live. I really think understanding religion is a precursor to understanding other cultures and is extremely valuable. I'm really glad I got to meet and work with Muslims in Afghanistan because it has shaped my picture of that faith in a good way, even living the hell first hand of what the bad people are doing to exploit it.
Yeah, going to Korea did that for me as well (in dealing with Buddhists instead of Muslims), even with discussing stuff with Korean Christians - a completely different background gives new insight. And the degree path's fun except for it not giving me much option besides teaching or being a pastor (which the latter, I don't want to do, haha). In terms of studying, though, wouldn't trade it for the world.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:17 pm

Honest question: is there a specific reason for Christians to not keep a kosher diet?

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:21 pm

So, in total respect I ask this, and will not snark regardless of the response: do you think that some/a lot/maybe all of what was written about JC (OT/NT, including quotes attributed to him and written by others), is a grand farce?
I'm shocked about how little is written about JC by contemporary authors. Even the Gospels were written long after his death:
Most researchers place the date of Jesus’ death at Passover time around the year 30.
The earliest New Testament books, the letters written by Paul, were composed in the decade of the 50s.
In the mid-60s, James, Peter, and Paul are all killed. Peter and Paul likely perished during the persecution of the church in Rome by Nero. The deaths of these important church leaders likely encouraged the writing down of narratives about Jesus.
In the year 70, Roman armies destroyed Jerusalem and its Temple, effectively ending a Jewish revolt against the Empire that had begun four years earlier.
Although some scholars disagree, the vast majority of researchers believe that Mark was the first Gospel to be written, sometime around the year 70.
http://www.bc.edu/schools/stm/c21online ... spels.html

Given how information was handled back then a few decades is too much of a gap for me. As the dogma built over the millenia there are too many cooks in the kitchen. As a person with historical research training I just can't buy into documents that are not based on any actual primary source material. I guess you might call that 'faith' but for me it isn't enough. I'm not seeking Salvation, though, so it doesn't phase me.

I don't think it's a farce as I think the Church had good intentions in its infancy. But then it grew into the Vatican that brought us the Crusades and collected the worlds riches while encouraging its followers to breed themselves into squalor.

No snark intended on my side either, there are just certain positions that can't be prettied up without it losing the message.

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:22 pm

I suppose a lot of it has to do with homosexuality, what you can and cannot eat, what you can an cannot wear, etc. Mostly Leviticus. I think there is a lot of hatred toward homosexuals (obviously only from some) that is backed by the old testament, however many of the laws in that same book are simply brushed off. I recall growing up in the Catholic church being told numerous times that you cannot pick and choose the parts of the bible you believe. It's all or nothing. I think there are more and more progressive Christians that recognize that go against that idea and stick mostly to the new testament.

To me, reading through the old testament I see an angry, jealous, vindictive God, and reading through the new testament I see a loving accepting God. The differences are very striking.
So true vis-a-vis OT vs. NT.

Some of OT teachings i have a hard time understanding and applying, but some make a lot of sense, even the most difficult ones, because I also tend to add in some more scientific context.

Your homosexuality example is a really good one. There's definitely a hefty 'thou shalt not' thrust in Leviticus (about bestiality, too, incidentally) that relates to homosexuality, so in that sense, it's not difficult to say it's 'wrong.' Where I'm at is taking religion out if totally, I (and scientists, including Batman :pop:) think a central function of any species is to preserve itself and to do so must propagate. For humans, and I think most species, this means male/female generation, therefore true homosexuality, as in being wired or positioned to reject inter-gender coupling, is counter-productive to species propagation and, resolved, 'wrong.'

Different sides of the same coin, indeed.

Yet, JC taught foregiveness (hate sin/love sinner), so one would be both righteous in rejecting the sin and acting for the sinner to sin no more like that. But there's an obligation on the part of the person saying that it's wrong to still be good.

Where the real rub comes in is where it affects public policy.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:26 pm

Honest question: is there a specific reason for Christians to not keep a kosher diet?
A few.

1) Acts 10 discusses Peter recognizing that Gentiles are just as acceptable as the Jews before God (this was a major problem in early Christianity as it spread beyond simply Israel & Jews).

2) Paul was pretty vehement in his letters about not forcing Jewish law onto Gentiles (Galatians is mostly about this), and the first half of Peter's vision is also supportive of that. The letter to Romans by Paul also pushes it.

3) Jesus said that He fulfilled the law of the Old Testament, so His believers are no longer chained by it. Paul kinda warns about taking this too far in Romans (everything is permissible, but not everything is proper) & elsewhere, though.

4) My view is that the OT food laws & such were meant specifically for that community at the time, and withholding from certain meats & such were for health purposes. Jews (and Muslims) would disagree.

I can go into more on each if you'd want, but there's some general reasons.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:27 pm

I'm interested in what people have faith have to say on "choice" relating to the matter. There's definitely no choice in the matter for me (and Mr. anti free will Kraftster would probably agree with me, in general terms :pop: ): it's simply not in me.

I have to assume that it is the same for those who *are* religious? They can't be any other way?
Great to create this thread. Well done, sir. :thumb:

Looking for a quick clarification on what you mean by "choice relating to the matter"...as in, like, what I choose to believe (all/some/none)?
I should probably stay out of this. :scared: :pop: :face: :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol: :D :thumb: :thumbdown: :thumb:

I don't believe the individual person (for a host of theological reasons, which I can get into if there is sufficient interest) has any "choice" per se in the matter of coming to faith. In other words the act of God's calling is effectual to such a degree that the person unto whom God has spoken, through the instrument of preaching (ordinarily) would not, could not, and does not deny that call.

To further clarify that (because at first glance it sounds a lot like fatalism) I believe the Bible teaches that man is dead in sin, and part of that death is a will which freely chooses of its own volition to sin, and to sin boldly, only being restrained by God's mercy from being as bad as he/she could be. Likewise when the Holy Spirit calls upon the individual and applies the righteousness of Christ to them, they are "spiritually awakened" as it were, or as the term is likely better known "born again", and freely choose, of their own free will and volition, to humble themselves and serve the true and living God by faith alone*. Yet all of the aforementioned is by the free and sovereign will of God alone and according to His wisdom and glory.

* - Faith is neither blind, nor in competition with "reason".
Last edited by Freddy Rumsen on Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:28 pm

That'll do. Thanks.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm shocked about how little is written about JC by contemporary authors. Even the Gospels were written long after his death:
Most researchers place the date of Jesus’ death at Passover time around the year 30.
The earliest New Testament books, the letters written by Paul, were composed in the decade of the 50s.
In the mid-60s, James, Peter, and Paul are all killed. Peter and Paul likely perished during the persecution of the church in Rome by Nero. The deaths of these important church leaders likely encouraged the writing down of narratives about Jesus.
In the year 70, Roman armies destroyed Jerusalem and its Temple, effectively ending a Jewish revolt against the Empire that had begun four years earlier.
Although some scholars disagree, the vast majority of researchers believe that Mark was the first Gospel to be written, sometime around the year 70.

Given how information was handled back then a few decades is too much of a gap for me. As the dogma built over the millenia there are too many cooks in the kitchen. As a person with historical research training I just can't buy into documents that are not based on any actual primary source material. I guess you might call that 'faith' but for me it isn't enough. I'm not seeking Salvation, though, so it doesn't phase me.

I don't think it's a farce as I think the Church had good intentions in its infancy. But then it grew into the Vatican that brought us the Crusades and collected the worlds riches while encouraging its followers to breed themselves into squalor.

No snark intended on my side either, there are just certain positions that can't be prettied up without it losing the message.
Long after in modern times is very different from long after in earlier times. I'm also not convinced by the arguments for dating the gospels later, unless you would date a hypothetical source like Q to be much earlier. It's based on stuff like "surely the writers wrote it after 70 due to the inability for a person to predict the destruction of the temple in 70 AD" and stuff.

Would be happy to go into it more, though, dodint; we had to study this often (I'd imagine PBP has as well).

(Edited to add a few things & make the quote smaller.)
Last edited by Avyran on Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:29 pm

I should probably stay out of this. :scared: :pop: :face: :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol: :D :thumb: :thumbdown: :thumb:
PBP's here!

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:34 pm

Long after in modern times is very different from long after in earlier times. I'm also not convinced by the arguments for dating the gospels later, unless you would date a hypothetical source like Q to be much earlier. It's based on stuff like "surely the writers wrote it after 70 due to the inability for a person to predict the destruction of the temple in 70 AD" and stuff.

I agre Avyran.

There is a lot of "History Channel" conceptions of the canon, like the old canard that Constantine dictated which books were Scripture and which were not.

Here is a link to one of the leading scholars on canon formation alive today and ten basic articles on this subject, which I think are helpful.

http://michaeljkruger.com/the-complete- ... -memorize/

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:41 pm

The canon is a tangent to this discussion about primary source material irt JC. That's fine, and interesting, but it needs to be noted that we're talking about different things.

What gets me is how can someone so influential to the western world have no history from the age of 13(ish) to 30(ish)? It's just not enough to pass the sniff test to a guy like me.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:47 pm

The canon is a tangent to this discussion about primary source material irt JC. That's fine, and interesting, but it needs to be noted that we're talking about different things.

What gets me is how can someone so influential to the western world have no history from the age of 13(ish) to 30(ish)? It's just not enough to pass the sniff test to a guy like me.
Well his public ministry didn't begin until he was 30. Jesus's purpose was not to focus on those years quietly working away in Joseph's workshop building tables, etc, but on the three years of his teaching time. If that makes sense.