Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

2023-2024 Pitt Super Panthers (Football) Sports Thread

Postby meow » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:13 pm

Thank you, sir. Trying to figure out our dog watching situation

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:26 pm

Rodney Hammond was hurt?
That's been the line coming from the coaches this week. The initial perception was that he wasn't used much against Wofford because they didn't need him, and then he was limited against Cincy because they were playing from behind the entire game. Even against WVU, he had seven carries the first drive and then seven carries the rest of the game.

From the coaches' comments this week, he's healthier and should be able to handle more of a workload. That's all well and good, but it's going to be another 3.5 yards/carry day for him if the passing game doesn't get its collective sh!t together.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:13 pm

Things of interest for this game

How bad will pine richlands most wanted be?
Will the dl generate sacks against a passing team
Will the old people on both lines fail
Will the safeties be any good

Will I play good golf Sunday morning due to this late start?
On the DL, I'd love to know where FitzSimmons stands in terms of his health. He was listed on the participation sheet but that must have been just special teams. Green & Brima had good stat lines against WVU so hopefully that continues. The only other DL to record more than a single tackle/assisted tackle was Bentley with 2 assisted tackles. Scott, Nahki Johnson, & Hayes had a total of 1 tackle, 1 assisted tackle, and a pass break-up between the three of them. Danielson & Temple played but didn't show up on the stat sheet. Okunola didn't play.

Sidenote to the pass rush: Kamara was hurt and missed a good chunk of the WVU game. Of course, no word at all on where he's for this weekend. It looks like Kyle Louis and Braylan Lovelace were his primary replacements. If Kamara can't go, I'll be interested to see how much they trust Lovelace.

Tough game for the safeties. McMillon has been a pleasant surprise this year so far, but this will be a much different test than anything they've seen so far. I'll be interested to see if they use a lot of the Delta package.

On Phil, I'll be most interested to see how long the leash is. I don't expect any change in his performance from the last two weeks, but I want to see what happens if/when it goes to hell again.

And while Phil deserves blame for his inability to execute much of anything with this offense, Cignetti is the larger issue here. This 2023 offense lacks the impact talent that the 2021 and even the 2022 teams had at certain positions, but it still shouldn't be THIS ineffective. F'ing DUQUESNE managed 200+ yards and 2 TDs through the air on WVU's defense the week before the Brawl.

They didn't trust Jurkovec to throw almost the entire first half and even after he validated that decision, they continued to trot him out there. If Veilleux or Yarnell aren't options after THAT, it speaks absolute volumes about the OC's ability to evaluate & develop the position, which is what we were all afraid of when he was hired. Unfortunately, I don't think that changes until the season ends.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:42 pm

These late games suck. I want to put this game on at like 3pm and have a mildly productive afternoon while catching up on chores. No chance I watch it live at 8pm.

Next week, too.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:34 pm

On the DL, I'd love to know where FitzSimmons stands in terms of his health. He was listed on the participation sheet but that must have been just special teams. Green & Brima had good stat lines against WVU so hopefully that continues. The only other DL to record more than a single tackle/assisted tackle was Bentley with 2 assisted tackles. Scott, Nahki Johnson, & Hayes had a total of 1 tackle, 1 assisted stackle, and a pass break-up between the three of them. Danielson & Temple played but didn't show up on the stat sheet. Okunola didn't play.
I know Charlie Partridge is a D-Line god, but the complete lack of development and impact from the high profile DL underclassmen is hugely disappointing.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:10 pm

These late games suck. I want to put this game on at like 3pm and have a mildly productive afternoon while catching up on chores. No chance I watch it live at 8pm.

Next week, too.
You want to watch this? This is great being in Europe, I'll just wake up and see how bad Jurkovec did without having to sit through it

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:32 pm

"Watch" in the loosest sense. I'm buying materials for my garage refurb project and researching electrical components. Hearing Jurk Boos in the background instead of last weeks NASCAR race from the DVR would be nice.

Pitt Football isn't a prime time event, no reason it should be on at 8pm every week.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:14 pm

Kamara out tonight and is in a walking boot.

Also Noah Hiles reports that Terrance Moore is starting at center and Ryan Baer at one of the tackles. Guessing Moore is playing center because Kradel is moving to guard because everyone else there sucks, but we’ll see.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:32 pm

On the DL, I'd love to know where FitzSimmons stands in terms of his health. He was listed on the participation sheet but that must have been just special teams. Green & Brima had good stat lines against WVU so hopefully that continues. The only other DL to record more than a single tackle/assisted tackle was Bentley with 2 assisted tackles. Scott, Nahki Johnson, & Hayes had a total of 1 tackle, 1 assisted stackle, and a pass break-up between the three of them. Danielson & Temple played but didn't show up on the stat sheet. Okunola didn't play.
I know Charlie Partridge is a D-Line god, but the complete lack of development and impact from the high profile DL underclassmen is hugely disappointing.
Truth. FitzSimmons did something to his ankle the last week of camp so that didn’t help but if he’s healthy, he needs to get into the mix. What’s going on with Elliot Donald, I have no idea. I don’t remember seeing him out there against WVU. Really bizarre. I don’t know if it’s a comfort level thing with the older guys, but these younger guys need to start playing. Next year is going to baptism by fire for a lot of them otherwise.

I’d also love to see the snap breakdown from WVU at DE with Temple, Jimmy Scott, and Nahki Johnson. Okunola didn’t play. I’ll be interested to see how that rotation looks tonight.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:36 pm

41-10 UNC.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:44 pm

Next week, too.
You want to watch this? This is great being in Europe, I'll just wake up and see how bad Jurkovec did without having to sit through it
The only downside with the early game is when your team loses and you have sit through 4 hours of highlights of your team's kicker missing a go ahead 25 yd field goal. Ugh.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:44 pm

I’m here. This is the way.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:16 pm

Most competent drive they've had this season.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:21 pm

Truth. FitzSimmons did something to his ankle the last week of camp so that didn’t help but if he’s healthy, he needs to get into the mix. What’s going on with Elliot Donald, I have no idea. I don’t remember seeing him out there against WVU. Really bizarre. I don’t know if it’s a comfort level thing with the older guys, but these younger guys need to start playing. Next year is going to baptism by fire for a lot of them otherwise.

I’d also love to see the snap breakdown from WVU at DE with Temple, Jimmy Scott, and Nahki Johnson. Okunola didn’t play. I’ll be interested to see how that rotation looks tonight.
At least SFS has an injury excuse. Johnson does nothing and Donald doesn't exist. I expected Donald and Ford to anchor the interior DL for years and one never plays and the other ate himself into the OL.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:48 pm

This has been a nice start for once.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:14 pm

Welp that turned quickly.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:49 pm

Shameful defensive performance

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:54 pm

Veilleux is garbage. Free Yarnell.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:07 pm

I watched the first few minutes. Pitt was winning. Watched a movie. Pitt isn't winning.

The movie was good.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:31 pm

Pitt has had a few good years, this team is objectively trash player wise given they should have been recruiting better players.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:49 pm

I'll be shocked if they win another game this season. Pissing it all away two thanks to shitty recruiting, shitty transfer talent evaluation, shitty player development and shitty coaching decisions. Everyone associated with this program should be thanking their lucky stars that Pickett decided to return for a fifth season and inconceivably became our best QB since Marino. Narduzzi sucks and is a stubborn shithead incapable of building a program. He got lucky for one year and is dragging this program into the same mediocrity it always was under him.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:30 am

Over the past few years Pitt had a lot of success playing against bad Georgia tech, VT and Syracuse teams. Pitt clearly had more talent at every position and beat up those teams

Now Pitt looks like one of those teams

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:00 am

The last drive of the first half was one of the least organized series of events I’ve witnessed at a Pitt Football game