Politics And Current Events

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:13 am

I thought I saw Young Boozer in the Billboard Hot 100 alongside Lil Shawty and Bad Bunny

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:13 am

Did the voter fraud complaints start yet

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:15 am

I don't know, let me ask my FB friends...

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:16 am

If tonight doesn’t make the GOP ditch Trump and go with DeSantis, I’m not sure what will.
It's not a viable party unless they divorce from Trump. The trump- backed candidates in battleground states didn't do ****.

They overestimated the impact of Trump eliciting whacko turnout vs. pushing normal or more moderate conservatives to vote the other way
:thumb:
I also think that they underestimated how efficient and effective of a villain he (and by proxy his most fervent supporters) still is/are for the left. Him being 'around' and putting his tiny fingerprints into this midterm allowed Dems to run on basically abortion and the ever popular 'threat to democracy'. For a lot of people, that's all they needed to ignore the 'dinner table' issues and Biden's unpopularity that the polls were picking up on. We'll find out in the weeks to come, but I'd imagine turnout for the left was way larger than estimated went the polls were calculated. Abortion certainly drove some of that, but I still think 'never Trumpers' outnumber 'MAGAs' by a wiiddeee margin, and activating them to vote, even when Trump isn't on a ticket, likely helped Dems a ton.

I'd still favor a split legislative branch, which may serve to bring both sides more to the middle, then Trump just go, or fade, or get locked away, then a reset in 2024. We'll see.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:16 am

Solid point.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:16 am

Kari Lake is losing in Arizona. Blake Masters is too, by a wider margin.

This is a pretty clear repudiation imo.
JD Vance
That's cause OH is just IN now.

FL and TX are the strongholds of the republican party. Like how NY and CA are for the Dems. The democratic party is just incredibly weak and not competitive in those states.

NC, GA and WI are the states that I can't figure out. Maybe GA and AZ are in the same space really, high percentage of minority residents and center metro a higher percentage than the rural/exurban type. And while TX middle class are more like oil and gas industry and finance, Phoenix and ATL are probably more tech type jobs. Guessing Charlotte is a city that draws a more conservative lean of middle class, and just not the sort of population that is state wide push for a strong democratic party. Cooper can probably be governor as long as he likes, would lose a senate election for sure.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:17 am

Solid point.

:lol: This is amazing.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:17 am

I'd still favor a split legislative branch, which may serve to bring both sides more to the middle, then Trump just go, or fade, or get locked away, then a reset in 2024. We'll see.
More likely is nothing will get done.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:18 am

NY is looking pretty damn red in the house though.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:25 am

I also think that they underestimated how efficient and effective of a villain he (and by proxy his most fervent supporters) still is/are for the left. Him being 'around' and putting his tiny fingerprints into this midterm allowed Dems to run on basically abortion and the ever popular 'threat to democracy'. For a lot of people, that's all they needed to ignore the 'dinner table' issues and Biden's unpopularity that the polls were picking up on. We'll find out in the weeks to come, but I'd imagine turnout for the left was way larger than estimated went the polls were calculated. Abortion certainly drove some of that, but I still think 'never Trumpers' outnumber 'MAGAs' by a wiiddeee margin, and activating them to vote, even when Trump isn't on a ticket, likely helped Dems a ton.

1. What does the left even mean to you? Abortion is solidifying the gender gap between the two parties, and turns out women of all classes vote. Biden's disapproval rating is also a product of being disliked by the left. The left wants things like single payer healthcare, full scale student loan forgiveness, increase to the minimum wage, and stronger union support. The left obviously supports abortion, but so does like 60%+ of the population, but it's a culture war issue.

2. Not sure if you just like don't pay attention or just have just full scale blinders on all the time, but there is no move to the middle here from the GOP. This is just punditry fantasy talk, unless you mean them coming to the middle is that they can't whip their caucus to vote on anything, so are force to compromise with the dems because Matt Gaetz and MTG are doing their Q podcasts and can't vote for funding the pedophile government

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:26 am

The GOP wildly underestimated how pissed people were about RvW. So now since authority is given to the states, as long as they can get tarred with "GOP Candidate X believes in no abortion even in cases of incest, rape or life of the mother" and GOP Candidate X shrugs and says "well... yeah!" they're going to lose over and over again except in the deepest red states. As they should.

As others have stated, GOP bout to have a Trump problem. They think he loves them but Trump only loves Trump. So, when they ask him to just go away because he's now hurting them, he's gonna give them the finger. And the fallout is gonna be fun to watch.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:30 am

The GOP wildly underestimated how pissed people were about RvW. So now since authority is given to the states, as long as they can get tarred with "GOP Candidate X believes in no abortion even in cases of incest, rape or life of the mother" and GOP Candidate X shrugs and says "well... yeah!" they're going to lose over and over again except in the deepest red states. As they should.

As others have stated, GOP bout to have a Trump problem. They think he loves them but Trump only loves Trump. So, when they ask him to just go away because he's now hurting them, he's gonna give them the finger. And the fallout is gonna be fun to watch.
Trump can't go anywhere. He's shifted his business to a political fundraising grift and also the political cover for his legal exposure.

He's also completely compromised himself and can we even acknowledge how LIV golf is essentially a front for the Saudis to funnel money to Trump properties?

So yeah, he has to run in 2024, I mean, at least as far as I know he would need some semblance of a purpose to raise political donations, unless what, they can have the Trump PAC to support Don Jr and Lara Trump running for office somewhere?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:31 am

I can safely say, everyone female in my immediate living situation, I know has made a comment about RvW being a major issue, and they fall on both sides of the spectrum.

GOP really pushed to hard and now pay the price until any kind of real legislation is put into place for it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:33 am

And the fallout is gonna be fun to watch.
It's going to be awesome

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:35 am

I watched a YouTube video this morning and there wasn’t a political ad attached. Life is good.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:37 am

MAGA Dad's summary of the upcoming election is "All the Democrats have to run on is abortion and Jan 6th, they don't have anything of their own."

Dad, I think the abortion piece might be enough, the Republicans may have bitten off more than they could chew with that.
:lol:

I think I'm going to invite myself over for Sunday dinner.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:38 am

Lauren Boebert losing is so good. Just so good

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:38 am

Solid point.

Big if true

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:39 am

Voters first elected Boebert in 2020. The representative from Rifle, Colorado, has used her position to be a thorn in the Democratic Party's side. Since taking public office, she's denied the 2020 presidential election results, interrupted President Joe Biden's State of the Union speech, and denigrated a Democratic member of Congress over their religion.

Two years later, her antics may have cost her a job, as she's close to joining the ranks of Rep. Madison Cawthorn as one of the few members of Congress to get elected in 2020, but lose their bid for reelection after only one term in office.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:40 am

Voters first elected Boebert in 2020. The representative from Rifle, Colorado, has used her position to be a thorn in the Democratic Party's side. Since taking public office, she's denied the 2020 presidential election results, interrupted President Joe Biden's State of the Union speech, and denigrated a Democratic member of Congress over their religion.

Two years later, her antics may have cost her a job, as she's close to joining the ranks of Rep. Madison Cawthorn as one of the few members of Congress to get elected in 2020, but lose their bid for reelection after only one term in office.
Good.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:41 am

Bets on how long til she ends up on OnlyFans?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:41 am

**** around and find out, eh?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:41 am

Saw some comments on FB yesterday predicting a Red Wave (eww), I'd track them down and ask how that went for them but I'm not a NTP66.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:43 am

Are there any accounts from a German citizen’s perspective during the Nazi era? I feel like that would be an interesting perspective re: voting for fascism.
Well, there's "The Diary Of Anne Frank"..........

My college professor, Jackson Spielvogel, has a book called "Hitler and Nazi Germany: A History", which is pretty excellent.
I doubt the German people “voted for fascism”. They were supporting someone who they believed was offering solutions to gigantic problems. Unfortunately those solutions were predicated on hatred, distrust and militarism…which sounds eerily familiar
To paraphrase the great Lawrence of Arabia, the trick, Weenie, is not minding that it's fascism. As others have said, they aren't necessarily tuned in to the particulars, they just see the world around them changing - what with all the queers in 3rd grader's bathrooms and $5 gas and so damn many WOKEs all over the place - and the loudest voices in opposition to that at this point in time happen to be fascist s**theads who have taken over the only party that represents a realistic political alternative. The downside of supporting them - you know, the fascism part of fascism - is secondary to making it all go away back to a simpler time.

But the Third Reich didn't arise as some goofy final 2 minutes of a Scooby Doo episode where everyone was surprised by the identity of the dastardly villain. Nor will right wing extremism in this country poof up out of nowhere. We know who and where they are, they aren't exactly being quiet about it. To Shyster's somewhat ludicrous question the other days: Yes, there are that many people in this country who would gladly vote for fascism. They may not call it fascism, and they may bristle at being called out as fascist for supporting fascists. But that spade is a spade.
Hey...I took that class! History 143...I think? Couldn't get in it til my senior year in '97...'98 maybe? Easily the most moving and impactful class I've ever taken, and the single best professor/speaker/lecturer I had in my years at Penn State and beyond. I remember that the fire marshal had to be present for the lecture when the Holocaust survivor talked because people were sitting on the stairs. First time I ever ugly cried in public. Absolutely gut wrenching.

Interestingly, from that experience I took away a hearty scepticism of the power of government in general, especially when it's coupled with controlled media, or even a complicit media. The lesson was how easy it was, given specific circumstances, to create an enemy, then manipulate people into vilifying that enemy, then establishing an ideology that seeks to eliminate that 'opposition', all the while claiming to be the good guys. 'We're doing this for you.'

I don't think we're there yet, but I also don't think you can just assume that this type of thing can only happen on the right. Nazism and Fascism is basically just a form of authoritarianism. Again, I don't think we're there, but this extreme polarization makes it...worrying. And I completely agree with tif...these things take time, but often happen in plain sight.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:43 am

Anyone who uses the term "xxxx wave" deserves ridicule.