5AF Parenting Thread

Kraftster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kraftster » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:51 am

I think I'm going to schedule for opening March Madness Thursday this coming year. Hopefully there is no derailing of the plans to make the experience of the glorious variety.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:00 am

I think I'm going to schedule for opening March Madness Thursday this coming year. Hopefully there is no derailing of the plans to make the experience of the glorious variety.
i think our little ones are about the same age (your older one is a bit older IIRC). so i have this issue of just sitting back and letting my wife do the heavy lifting with the kids. especially with a 10 month old (the 2nd worst age for a baby - behind newborn). if the kids are having meltdowns, and she seems strained more than usual, would you feel compelled to get up and assist? because i'll tell you this...it's very possible to parent at an almost normal level despite what was done to you.

Kraftster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kraftster » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:06 am

i think our little ones are about the same age (your older one is a bit older IIRC). so i have this issue of just sitting back and letting my wife do the heavy lifting with the kids. especially with a 10 month old (the 2nd worst age for a baby - behind newborn). if the kids are having meltdowns, and she seems strained more than usual, would you feel compelled to get up and assist? because i'll tell you this...it's very possible to parent at an almost normal level despite what was done to you.
Ha. I think we're in the same boat across the board on everything in your post. March is a bit longer than I'd like to wait, but part of my thinking is that by then maybe the little one (8.5 months right now) will be more likely to allow this to all go as planned. My older daughter just turned four, and I don't think she alone would get in the way of this going as planned. Part of the reason that I want to aim for the glorious experience is because I don't think it's possible that it will play out that way, and I just want to see. In the end, it'll probably be like that time three months ago when I asked to sleep in on a Saturday and found myself getting up at 7:30 despite my best intentions.

Nonetheless, I'll be keeping your last remark to myself.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:13 am

Ha. I think we're in the same boat across the board on everything in your post. March is a bit longer than I'd like to wait, but part of my thinking is that by then maybe the little one (8.5 months right now) will be more likely to allow this to all go as planned. My older daughter just turned four, and I don't think she alone would get in the way of this going as planned. Part of the reason that I want to aim for the glorious experience is because I don't think it's possible that it will play out that way, and I just want to see. In the end, it'll probably be like that time three months ago when I asked to sleep in on a Saturday and found myself getting up at 7:30 despite my best intentions.

Nonetheless, I'll be keeping your last remark to myself.
i don't want to get into my marriage biz too much, but hypothetically it's possible that there may be some misunderstanding or even some repressed sentiments that may surface as D-Day approaches. it may even surface on the drive to the doctor. hypothetically. it would definitely be in your best interest to make sure mrs. K is completely supportive. even if that means waiting a little longer. hypothetically that total buy-in will help you in many ways during recovery and beyond.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:33 am

That's rough.

Edit: They can be reversed...right?

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:43 am

rough for me...i suppose. rougher for the wife, certainly. i don't think i really did anything wrong based on conversations we had leading in. however...i knew my whole life i wanted 2 (actually i would be fine with 1. 2 was a sort of a compromise). i wouldn't budge. i knew she was open to having 3. she budged. now with this all said, my great mistake was not fully understanding what it means to take part in an act that tells a woman that she isn't allowed to have kids anymore. it's one thing to be stubborn. it's another thing to obliterate all future possibility by getting a procedure.

pro tip: show a great deal of reverence and respect to what you're engaging in. even if everything is agreed upon, it may be a tough pill to swallow for any woman to have someone else basically control their biology that way.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:44 am

Edit: They can be reversed...right?
expensive, not typically covered by insurance and the reversals often fail.

but despite my story, i am tickled pink at being sterile. it is a wonderful feeling.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:45 am

That's sage advice shmenguin

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:49 am

That's sage advice shmenguin

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:56 am

Incredibly, wise. My wife had a couple breakdown cries even though she was totally for it (the arguments came after two kids, after the third she was ready to drive me to the doc).
In my case the rest of the family went to her parents for the weekend, which allowed me ample healing and veg'ing time.
As an aside, my kids used to be able to rack me unintentionally without intense discomfort, after the procedure that was no longer the case. The first time I got kneed crawling up dear old Dad after the procedure was eye opening.

I wanted to wait for March Madness, that was always the plan, but then I realized I could rush it into the same year our third child was born and take advantage of having already ate up the insurance deductible, so December 13th it was.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:58 am

some more vasectomy trivia:
-you're in and out in 45 minutes
-there's the doc and a nurse in the room. i wasn't expecting a lady to be present. it was...unsettling
-but hey, a dude is handling your junk for the better part of an hour, so it's a sliding scale
-to combat this, they give you a valium pill. it's not an un-fun drug.
-the worst part of the procedure is the injection of the local anesthetic. after that, you feel nothing. you will actually walk out of the building like nothing even happened
-they give you way more percocets than you need. so chow down if 1 pill isn't cutting it (i always have to double dose)
-i am currently not sterile actually. not until they check my sample in 10 weeks
-as for the sample...you can "collect" it at home. woo hoo! i did NOT want to do that in an office
-but they give you that option, if that's your kind of thing
-and they even have magazines available. that was the most surprising thing of the whole process

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:59 am

Source of the post I realized I could rush it into the same year our third child was born and take advantage of having already ate up the insurance deductible
We are planning on having our next kid based off the insurance coverage year. I don't want another January baby.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:00 pm

In other news, the family vacation to Disney World starts tomorrow. Excited but nervous. The 5 year old is a great age, my 3 year old will take her cues from her big sister so that should be good. There's not too much that big sis can do that little sis can't height wise. My anxiety kicks in when I think of my two year old though.

Not the greatest timing, could have waited another year or two; but the Grandparents are coming and they just retired and my neice is coming and is now 9, so this is probably the last window to get everybody there at an age they'll enjoy it and while my parents still think they have disposable income.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:01 pm

-there's the doc and a nurse in the room. i wasn't expecting a lady to be present. it was...unsettling
-but hey, a dude is handling your junk for the better part of an hour, so it's a sliding scale
-the worst part of the procedure is the injection of the local anesthetic. after that, you feel nothing. you will actually walk out of the building like nothing even happened
-they give you way more percocets than you need. so chow down if 1 pill isn't cutting it (i always have to double dose)
-i am currently not sterile actually. not until they check my sample in 10 weeks
-as for the sample...you can "collect" it at home. woo hoo! i did NOT want to do that in an office
-and they even have magazines available. that was the most surprising thing of the whole process
Did he show you your's?

Miami Vice

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:01 pm

we did a family disney trip when i was 8 and my sister and cousin were 5.

at any given time one of the three children were crying while the other two were best friends. the two girls, my sister and i, or my cousin and i. the 3rd was always pouting.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby LITT » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:02 pm

lots of pro tips in here

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:02 pm

Source of the post As an aside, my kids used to be able to rack me unintentionally without intense discomfort, after the procedure that was no longer the case. The first time I got kneed crawling up dear old Dad after the procedure was eye opening.
waitwhat? it get's more painful to get whacked in the nuts? forever, or just right after?

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Did he show you your's?
i was about to sit up without knowing he was totally done. he advised against it. i dunno...i was kind of curious.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:06 pm

Source of the post -they give you way more percocets than you need. so chow down if 1 pill isn't cutting it (i always have to double dose)
This worries me because I've never reacted well to pain pills, but I imagine I've gone through more intense pain than this procedure so I'm not super concerned.
This reminds me of Naked Gun

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:06 pm

In other news, the family vacation to Disney World starts tomorrow. Excited but nervous. The 5 year old is a great age, my 3 year old will take her cues from her big sister so that should be good. There's not too much that big sis can do that little sis can't height wise. My anxiety kicks in when I think of my two year old though.

Not the greatest timing, could have waited another year or two; but the Grandparents are coming and they just retired and my neice is coming and is now 9, so this is probably the last window to get everybody there at an age they'll enjoy it and while my parents still think they have disposable income.
we aren't going to disney until our youngest is 5 (the older one will be 7). that's the plan anyways. i could maybe do 6 and 4.

Kraftster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kraftster » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:17 pm

we aren't going to disney until our youngest is 5 (the older one will be 7). that's the plan anyways. i could maybe do 6 and 4.
We're thinking 6 and 2.999 to get the little one in for free.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:35 pm

Source of the post As an aside, my kids used to be able to rack me unintentionally without intense discomfort, after the procedure that was no longer the case. The first time I got kneed crawling up dear old Dad after the procedure was eye opening.
waitwhat? it get's more painful to get whacked in the nuts? forever, or just right after?
For me, Forever. I assume the extra scar tissue is increasing pressure on my junk or hitting it in a different way. I use to have indestructiballs, and it's always been ten times worse since. Not laying in the fetal position for ten minutes worse, but enough groan anytime they want to make Daddy the ladder up the couch. Haven't really heard that from anybody else though, although it's not like my buddies and I make it a serious topic of conversation.
Did he show you your's?
i was about to sit up without knowing he was totally done. he advised against it. i dunno...i was kind of curious.
He picked mine up off the tray with some forceps and held them up to me, "to prove I really did it" he joked.
Over an inch of tubing, a little larger around than spaghetti and bright white.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:36 pm

We're thinking 6 and 2.999 to get the little one in for free.
They don't check birth certificates, do they? :pop:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:32 pm

I finally was able to stop my 6 year-old from sucking her thumb by dunking her digit in Image

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:12 am

6 year old sucking her thumb? Drastic times call for drastic measures.