White Tigers at Steelers- Week 11 GDT

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:17 pm

It’s fine to criticize Kenny - he’s been far from perfect. However this is the first time in the CE (Canada era) the Steelers have scored 30 or more points and the offense seems to be improving with him every week

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:08 am

He had a good first half before Canada decided to call some of the worst plays all year
If he's good it's him, if he's bad it's the coach?
First half play calling was very, very different than what we've seen most of the year, which is unfortunately what we got more of in the second half. He has struggled at times and has missed throws that he made in college and absolutely needs to make at this level, so hopefully that will come as his comfort level increases. The coach, however, runs a terrible offense and does **** like this:

No one in this group is being put in the best position to succeed. Receivers are rarely open and on more than occasion receivers were essentially standing next to each other and were capable of being covered by a single defender. Asking a rookie QB to overcome that **** is a lot.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:08 am

30 points, eh

That certainly is an optimistic appraisal of the situation.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:14 am

The coach, however, runs a terrible offense and does **** like this:
I honestly felt like this was the sequence that turned the game upside down. Baffling play calling, bumbling execution.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:22 am

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/11/they- ... -2nd-half/

There’s that. And there’s this

Again, Kenny hasn’t been great but the play calling it literally the worst

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:53 am

30 points, eh

That certainly is an optimistic appraisal of the situation.
I agree but it’s a little unfair to body bag kenny where he’s done better in the scheme (points wise) than other “nfl caliber” quarterbacks in the Canada era

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:48 am

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:06 am

Nice pull, nocera.

But what's a coordinator to do with Ryan Leaf's corpse on the field?

Dodint's had some good ones, but this one takes the cake.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:12 am

Nothing like setting your rookie QB up for success

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:17 am

I'm more concerned with this defense

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:28 am

Lot of money on that defense to not be able to figure out how to cover. RB or middle of the field.

Kenny floated a ton of passes yesterday. I can't figure out if he's good enough to make players better, or if he's just a QB who needs good players around him to be open so he can make open throws.

meow

Postby meow » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:31 am

I’m not too concerned with the D. They are asked to do too much too often. Too many 3-and-outs from the offense puts them on the field a lot. If the offense can start sustaining some drives, I think the D snaps back

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:51 am

100% the fault of Kenny Leaf

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:53 am

Bengals' Germaine Pratt says Steelers 'like to do the same plays over and over' following Sunday's win
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/beng ... s-win/amp/

meow

Postby meow » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:58 am

They will work eventually

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:12 am

Lot of money on that defense to not be able to figure out how to cover. RB or middle of the field.

Kenny floated a ton of passes yesterday. I can't figure out if he's good enough to make players better, or if he's just a QB who needs good players around him to be open so he can make open throws.
Play calling sucks, but let's not pretend that KSP hasn't missed some easy throws quite horrifically to this point. What made him very good in college was his accuracy, and so far he hasn't shown that at all in the big leagues. He's missing throws by yards, not feet. I guess the positive is that some of them have been so bad that it made it impossible for the defense to intercept them.

My hope is that he's still developing chemistry with the WRs and TEs, and that should improve with time. He's also still getting acclimated to the speed in the pros, so again that should improve with time. He's still got one hell of an impressive pocket presence for a rookie. We were all hoping for instant gratification with him, but it appears that we'll have to be a little patient.

D is fine. They are on the field a lot, and, unlike Canada, other OCoords tend to adjust their play calling based on what the defense is doing well, or not doing well. The more they are on the field, the more opportunity the other team has to find areas to exploit.

That's another frustrating thing with Canada...does he not watch other teams' offenses? Does he not see complimentary routes that produce wide open receivers? Does he not realize that what works against his team's defense would most likely work against other defenses? I don't know if he's stupid or stubborn, but I do know he doesn't have any solutions.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:31 am

The entire situation has been stupid from the start. Doing things the archaic "Steelers Way" with Kenny starting out third on the depth chart and spending his time throwing to guys who are currently unemployed. He didn't start getting first team reps until Week 5, so at this point he's finally gotten minicamp and training camp worth of reps with the first team. He absolutely needs to start showing the accuracy he showed in college, but in this offense I'm not sure it'll matter. Every pass needs to be absolutely perfect because receivers are never open.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:38 am

he dropped a gd dime in Pickens hands for a 48 yard TD that was dropped. There are some big time throws he's made that make me feel like the potential is there, just needs to clean some other things up. He's improved as the season has progressed and has cut down on some of the stupid mistakes. Dialing in some accuracy issues is the next step, I think the game's slowing down a bit for him and I'd be surprised if he doesn't

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:41 am

I'm not giving up on Kenny until he has a chance with an actual OC.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:54 am

Also overlooked from yesterday's awful second half is that Mason Cole went down with an injury and Kenny had a hell of a lot less time in the pocket. I don't know why the Steelers continue to employ a backup lineman from Alabama as an NFL player, but he got smoked yesterday.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:12 am

I’m not too concerned with the D. They are asked to do too much too often. Too many 3-and-outs from the offense puts them on the field a lot. If the offense can start sustaining some drives, I think the D snaps back
Two 90+ yard scoring drives. Highest (or 2nd?) paid defense in the league. They need to be a lot better. Burrow was hitting guys that didn't have a DB within yards of the wr. I'm not going to say the defense is "bad," but for their talent and pay, they need be very good, not just not bad

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:25 am

One other thing that gets overlooked... We are not good.

A lot of the steelers conversation is built around the expectation to win. But our team is simply worse than other teams. Most other teams in fact. So we shouldn't expect that.

There are a handful of good players. That's about it.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:27 am

One other thing that gets overlooked... We are not good.

A lot of the steelers conversation is built around the expectation to win. But our team is simply worse than other teams. Most other teams in fact. So we shouldn't expect that.

There are a handful of good players. That's about it.
That bills game was a wake up call. The talent disparities between the two teams was depressing. Stillers are at least 2 or 3 consecutive good drafts from being a worthwhile contender.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:41 am

I think the flea flicker call in a hurry up situation was a nice idea. Didn't work out, but I could follow the thinking. Running on 2nd and 10 is questionable, but I'd bet the thought was don't put rook in a 3rd & 10 situation after an incomplete pass. Wound up that way anyhow.

All in all, the only skill position that's safe on the depth chart is Pickens, everybody else is expendable so far.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:43 am

The delay of game on an extra point was a bit of coaching incompetency you rarely see.