Politics And Current Events

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:47 pm

As a general skeptic when I hear that 10 kids want counseling after not seeing a gun, it sounds to me like laying the foundation for litigation. Call me jaded if you want.
You know what each kid saw?

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Maybe when they're ten years old they can have some slack
I guess I don't really blame the kids. If anything, needing counseling after an incident like this points to a certain level of failure in parenting.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:50 pm

Good god, Sheahan, take the **** body. Make a hit.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:50 pm

oh, lol

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:51 pm

I also can't help but wonder if it would have played out the same if this guy wasn't black?
The father who initially saw the gun and told the kids to get inside was black, and most of the kids on the team (with their families) who were outside at the time were black. In this case, I don’t think race played a role in the reaction.
Honestly, that's good to hear. They only interviewed a white blonde woman in the video clip.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:54 pm

@MWB was that father also the one who had been arguing with the licensed concealed carrier?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:56 pm

As a general skeptic when I hear that 10 kids want counseling after not seeing a gun, it sounds to me like laying the foundation for litigation. Call me jaded if you want.
I don't care enough to keep track of which direction the goal posts are swaying. If it makes you feel better change it to 'after seeing the butt of a gun' and the sentiment is the same. I'm not entertaining you with any further changing of the narrative so don't bother lobbing any more my way.

You can't win a lawsuit for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress without showing damages, was the point of my initial response.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 pm

I don't care enough to keep track of which direction the goal posts are swaying. If it makes you feel better change it to 'after seeing the butt of a gun' and the sentiment is the same. I'm not entertaining you with any further changing of the narrative so don't bother lobbing any more my way.
I made no claims on their exposure to the situation, but you seem to be; hence the question.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 pm

The way I look at it is the way I act when a baby does something that is not actually going to bring harm or hurt to itself. When it looks up to you and is going to gauge on your reaction how to handle the situation that is whether to ignore it or scream with vengeance. If the adults act like adults the kids will as well.

We could all use a large dose of stoicism in American Life.
I’ll ask you the same thing I asked wk... what would you have done in the situation I described, both as a parent who saw the gun and as a parent who just heard someone say there was a person coming with a gun.
Are we talking about in the immediate situation or in the aftermath?

In the immediate situation I'd call the police.

In the aftermath explaining to the kids I'd not traumatize them by making it seem worse than it was.
I’m not sure what you mean by “aftermath.” The situation literally took a minute maybe, from the gun being shown to kids being locked down inside.

The police were called immediately.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:59 pm

You’re jaded.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:00 pm

@MWB was that father also the one who had been arguing with the licensed concealed carrier?
No, he was not.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:00 pm

*shrug*

I'm American, lawsuits is what we do best.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:02 pm

I also can't help but wonder if it would have played out the same if this guy wasn't black?
The father who initially saw the gun and told the kids to get inside was black, and most of the kids on the team (with their families) who were outside at the time were black. In this case, I don’t think race played a role in the reaction.
Honestly, that's good to hear. They only interviewed a white blonde woman in the video clip.
Reason being, the families most directly involved wanted nothing to do with media coverage of this. The woman you’re talking about was not associated with either team, or anyone from either organization, as far as I know.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:04 pm

My overall thought: telling 10-12 year olds to buck up after a gun threat scenario is an indication of a pretty shitty human being.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Maybe when they're ten years old they can have some slack
I guess I don't really blame the kids. If anything, needing counseling after an incident like this points to a certain level of failure in parenting.
What are you even doing

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 pm

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes people actually react the correct way, do what the situation calls for. That’s what happened here. There weren’t overreactions. There weren’t people running around like chickens with their heads cut off. There aren’t parents sending their kids to a counselor in hopes of a payday. The only truly extreme reaction I saw from an adult was a mom crying because she couldn’t find her kid for about five minutes.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:18 pm

My overall thought: telling 10-12 year olds to buck up after a gun threat scenario is an indication of a pretty shitty human being.
For the record I never stated an opinion about their choice to seek counseling, if they need it they need it and should have it.

As an impartial observer I'm open to the idea that there may be other motivations at play. Given the stigma attached to seeking mental health in this country it's encouraging to see a double digit number of adolescents simultaneously seeking it despite no one being physically injured or ever actually in harms way. It's also, when viewed from a thousand foot perspective, somewhat curious.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:20 pm

For the record I never stated an opinion about their choice to seek counseling, if they need it they need it and should have it.

As an impartial observer I'm open to the idea that there may be other motivations at play. Given the stigma attached to seeking mental health in this country it's encouraging to see a double digit number of adolescents simultaneously seeking it despite no one being physically injured or ever actually in harms way. It's also, when viewed from a thousand foot perspective, somewhat curious.

Correct.

You were referring to parents (and hypothetical lawyers).

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:22 pm

Mattis recommations:
1.Transgender persons without gender dysphoria diagnosis can serve
2.Transgender persons who have undergone gender transition are disqualified
3.Transgender persons w/ history of gender dysphoria are disqualified, with some exceptions.
https://twitter.com/Travis_Tritten/stat ... 03392?s=19

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:24 pm

And just to clarify, some of the kids went to see their guidance counselor at school the next day, not a psychologist.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:36 pm

And just to clarify, some of the kids went to see their guidance counselor at school the next day, not a psychologist.
This is totally normal, and should have been openly offered. Between this and that news video being explained, this whole incident is much different than what I was originally picturing.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:37 pm

This is totally normal, and should have been openly offered. Between this and that news video being explained, this whole incident is much different than what I was originally picturing.
:thumb:

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:41 pm

Because going to psychologist would indicate a weak 10 year old? The above agreement is bizarre.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:57 pm

My guidance counselor did more harm than good so that could be coloring my response. ;)

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Because going to psychologist would indicate a weak 10 year old? The above agreement is bizarre.
Yeah...it’s still a bad look. But I’m glad child expert Willie Kool has signed off on this. Phew.