Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:00 am

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:56 am

Yes, literally bringing out the worst in the entire electorate can only bond us all with the rest of the planet. I dont really give two shits that he won, especially with it blowing up in Hillary's smug face, but the reactions to everything he says from regular citizens doesnt bode well.
I was hoping comparing Trump to Rocky was obvious joking. :|

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:59 am

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:52 pm

Yes, literally bringing out the worst in the entire electorate can only bond us all with the rest of the planet. I dont really give two shits that he won, especially with it blowing up in Hillary's smug face, but the reactions to everything he says from regular citizens doesnt bode well.
I was hoping comparing Trump to Rocky was obvious joking. :|
Sorry, i'm sitting in the middle of a live fox news broadcast for the week

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:32 pm

Schemes for giving everyone a guaranteed income are gaining momentum in Silicon Valley and throughout Western Europe. It’s a great idea, until you look closely.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6014 ... can-dream/

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:38 pm

Not a fan, obviously. G.Johnson dipped his toe into that water last year and lost a bunch of in party support.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Not quite a Star Trek levels, so we all still have to earn our....rubles. ;)

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:13 pm

How is that any different, as the article points out, than all the existing programs that provide food, medical care, housing subsidies, etc?

I would think the conservatives would prefer straight cash transfers over these existing poorly run, wasteful, bureaucracies.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:15 pm

Are we talking about replacing all welfare/entitlements with basic income?

I'm listening.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:50 pm

I'd be all for a social safety net consisting solely of a reasonable basic income, free Medicare for all (including prescription drug coverage, dental and vision), and a strengthened Social Security program (remove the cap + no benefits paid out to those with assets above a certain level).

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:05 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:06 am

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:17 pm

Christmas reborn in Iraqi town freed from ISIS

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/24/middl ... d=32750390

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:53 pm

Christmas reborn in Iraqi town freed from ISIS

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/24/middl ... d=32750390
:thumb:

Thanks for posting. Regardless of one's beliefs (or lack thereof), it's hard not to admire the courage/convictions of these people. I simply can't fathom being a Christian in ANY Islamic country, much less one that has ISIS on the warpath.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:19 am

Eh, being overly risky and stupid in the name of Christianity is no more noble than doing so for Islam.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:09 pm

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:04 pm

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Hmmmm.

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:40 am

So we are spending the holidays down in Arizona with my folks. Once again I feel conflicted.

They hated living in NY where they lived for decades. The other day my mother explained to me why she has the political views that she has and it has really made me qusetion my perceptions.

For instance, she told me that when she worked at a bank one of her clients was a social worker. This lady quit her job and my mother, surprised at the time, asked her why.

The lady said that she, a working person earned less than the people she was working to help, people on welfare.

My mother's friend, a school teacher said she had been on welfare for a short period after going through a divorce and right as she was starting to pay off student loans. She got 200 bucks per month while other people, because they had families got 2k and they knowingly had more kids bc more kids =more money.

I knew things like this go on but I've been thinking lately. There's a girl I work with who is a nice intelligent person. She once told me her mother told her that she should vote Democrat when she is old enough (she is now) bc then they will get things (as in government hand outs).

I had talked to my mother about me and my co worker buying this girl food bc she is young and doesn't know how to handle money and I feel bad sometimes. Usually my co worker and I buy her food or share lunch with her. But recently I told her we are going to sit down and budget. When I was walking through the whole thing she said she knew all this but it was just hard to stick to the budget in real time.

My co worker was getting miffed at her and getting fed up. Sometimes the girl will, if she knows I'm going for a Starbucks run, ask me to buy her food and this irritates me. I find myself in the same boat as my miffed co worker and it dawned on me (with a clear head down here) that he hadn't been sitting with us bc of her or at least that's what I think and will talk to him about it when I get back.

The other thing is that on my fb when she posts she uses the N word which I personally do not like. I ended up unfollowing her. I know it's something that they say to each other and no one else is supposed to say but when I think about the gang culture and the culture of the N word, I know I would never want my kids hanging out with someone who uses that language the same way I wouldn't want them hanging out with someone who uses the words spick or kyke etc. But this friend does and the culture is such that I can not approach her to talk about something like that bc I'm not black.

My parents also talked to us about why they voted for Trump and their point of view made sense.

The only thing that irked me was one of their neighbors, an elderly lady from Texas told me Trayvon Martin had no business being in the neighborhood he was in. He was a drug dealer.

While Trayvon Martin smoked weed, something that would have been legal at another age in another state, there is no evidence he was a drug dealer. He was actually, until his mother had him change schools a motivated young man who worked and volunteered and liked math.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I agree that there is a problem in the African American community, especially learned helplessness, I think part of the problem is people's racism blocking a real solution, an open honest discussion without an accusatory stance. And I felt this way bc some of my parents' neighbors are Mexican, German, Puerto Rican etc but they distance themselves from African Americans which is racist. They only watch Fox News and they are really sweet people who love my parents and vice versa. This makes me feel glad for my parents and happy that if something ever happens they will have their neighbors.

I just want my parents to be safe and happy.

But the thing that strikes me is that people my parents age or the age my parents were when they started leaning conservative (Monica Lew) are not really add successful as they were at that age. Not that my parents were always successful but they worked really hard and in a way they learned played and mastered the game of the American working life (in my view) and part of me feels that when they say, BLM, the idea of white privilege, etc should be ignored bc they do not want to help people who won't help themselves is starting to resonate with me.

I'm not saying that if I see an injustice being done I let it happen.
But at the same time I don't know that I can support something I personally find offensive. Ie. Why should I support the perceived injustices of a group of people who insist on using certain language to self identify, language that I do not want to hear and was raised to believe that no decent person would use?
Why should I sit and listen to someone tell me about their problems when I've 1. Heard it before and 2. Have given them a clear solution, maybe not an easy one, but a clear concise solution?
Also, I will never say don't express yourself but there is a reason why rapping about sex drugs and thugs is so popular. In this case, why allow your kids to listen to it. I mean I guess it's just hard to have sympathy.

I mean I've faced racism, Kaiser has, believe it or not been judged for being white.
People have mistaken me for being black or Muslim and treated me accordingly. I didn't just keep quiet about it. I made a ruckus and my only regret is that I let those people live.

I'm pretty sure (as in I witnessed it) my last supervisor was racist and that's something I will let my former boss know.
And hopefully that guy and his racist best friend will leave the company without a pension while his kid needs diapers.

Why is it so difficult for African Americans to do the same?

I just don't understand. What am I missing? I want to know.
No one actually hates black people from what I've seen. It's more like a sadness that they can't be with everyone else on the same level.

If you read this whole thing Thank you and sorry it's so long.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:25 am

Just about every social construct has exploitable elements. Humans are shitty, they filter right down to the vulnerabilities. This is seen in lending, for Profit education, etc. it's not like these people are really living it up, and I get from your post that people are choosing to live like this. I think it's unreasonable to think that one would choose to work and be poor over not working and being poor. Also, social workers are paid nothing, no one goes into social work for the money.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:23 am

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:26 am

Who were the representative candidates in that western district? Seems to be the biggest discrepancy between the two.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:35 am

Either that or election fraud.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:39 am

Russian or voter ID based?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:46 am

That district has gone red with presidential and blue with congress for at least the last 5 presidential elections. Peterson (house incumbent) is a democrat and has been there since 1991.