Politics And Current Events

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Carson for HUD?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Dear God, just make the electoral votes proportional to the popular vote of the state. How hard is that?
Then everybody's vote can count for something and maybe drive greater turnout.
I actually just did that because I am extremely bored at work. If boredom continues I might go back and look at previous elections, but with keeping Michigan's now 17 electoral votes on the sidelines, Trump would have won this election 287-234.
Since this seems like it would only matter in closely contested elections, I went back and re-did 2000 based on population proportional electoral votes.

269-269

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Hypothetical: if the House of Lords had the power to stop Brexit, would they have?

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:19 pm

Yay, Amway!!!

Edit:

We can see what her leading issue will be as Secretary of Education:
DeVos is Chair of the American Federation for Children (AFC), which describes itself as "a leading national advocacy organization promoting school choice, with a specific focus on advocating for school vouchers and scholarship tax credit programs." It is affiliated with the Alliance for School Choice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betsy_DeVos

@5AFTeachers

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:29 pm

Should see quite a push for more vouchers. She also doesn't seem to be a big fan of charter school regulation. And she's never worked in public education.

stillgeezer

Postby stillgeezer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:29 pm

Dear God, just make the electoral votes proportional to the popular vote of the state. How hard is that?
Then everybody's vote can count for something and maybe drive greater turnout.
I actually just did that because I am extremely bored at work. If boredom continues I might go back and look at previous elections, but with keeping Michigan's now 17 electoral votes on the sidelines, Trump would have won this election 287-234.
Since this seems like it would only matter in closely contested elections, I went back and re-did 2000 based on population proportional electoral votes.

269-269
A tie sends the election to the house? I would prefer a duel between candidates.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:31 pm

Should see quite a push for more vouchers. She also doesn't seem to be a big fan of charter school regulation. And she's never worked in public education.
Also this

https://twitter.com/philipaklein/status ... 5461636100

Stinky

Postby Stinky » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:31 pm

Sounds like a good pick to me.
Last edited by Stinky on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:32 pm

Surprised there haven't been complaints about North Dakota having 2 senators just like New York, Idaho having 2 senators the same as Texas,etc. Why not do away with the Senate altogether since citizen representation is so skewed?
Straw man gonna straw...
Not at all. It's a legit question. To me the senate issue seems more "unfair" than the EC based equal reresentation of all citizens instead of EC unfairness to voters only.
Except for the whole House and Senate making up the legislative branch thing... it's not just the Senate. But if you think it's a valid question, I suppose we could discuss how the Senate is unfair to larger states?

stillgeezer

Postby stillgeezer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:32 pm

I'm guessing you're not in favor of vouchers or charter schools?

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:32 pm

"Conservative"

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:38 pm

Just saw on Fox Business News that protecting PEDJT in NYC costs over $1 million per day. Lock his ass inside Camp David for the next 4 years and be done with it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:38 pm

There are many issues to a voucher program that I'd like hashed out before I decide if I am in favor of them or not. Until they're answered, I'm not in favor of them...

viewtopic.php?p=318418#p318418

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:39 pm

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Vouchers just tend to exacerbate problems in public schools. Charter schools should be regulated. Both these measures make for a worse education system overall, imo. And having someone in charge who didn't go to public schools, didn't work in public schools, and doesn't have kids in public schools makes me think that this admisnistration probably has little interest in improving public schools.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Sounds like a good pick to me.
Why?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:41 pm

I assume the UN Ambassador will also require confirmation?
Si, just like national ambassadors.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:42 pm

So is it correct the state has about 1 trillion $ in debt and a legislature that is Hellbent on reducing cow farts? I'm fine with the golden state becoming an independent country as long as people are given a finite period to leave before giving up American citizenship.
We discussed this a week or so ago. No, it isn't true.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:42 pm

No surprise there, as she's on the board of the education foundation he founded.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:43 pm

Charter schools/Vouchers/etc... are an answer, but ever their most ardent proponents would say they are the answer for failing schools.

As long as you have catastrophic fatherlessness and broken homes in poor rural and urban school districts nothing will change.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:46 pm

Surprised there haven't been complaints about North Dakota having 2 senators just like New York, Idaho having 2 senators the same as Texas,etc. Why not do away with the Senate altogether since citizen representation is so skewed?
Straw man gonna straw...
Not at all. It's a legit question. To me the senate issue seems more "unfair" than the EC based equal reresentation of all citizens instead of EC unfairness to voters only.
The Senate does not represent the people, tho. It was set up to represent the States to the federal government. That's why each one gets the same representation.

Granted, the body was set up when there was still a very strong "13 mini-counties" undercurrent to the way 'these' United States were regarded.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:48 pm

Charter schools/Vouchers/etc... are an answer, but ever their most ardent proponents would say they are the answer for failing schools.

As long as you have catastrophic fatherlessness and broken homes in poor rural and urban school districts nothing will change.
Shmenguin: "it's a shame the country is now in the hands of the party that is intent on stripping fathers from their homes"

Freddy: "the war on drugs is not a partisan issue because Bill Clinton and a magazine I read"

All Hard Evidence, Ever: "cut the crap, Freddy"

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:50 pm

Just saw on Fox Business News that protecting PEDJT in NYC costs over $1 million per day. Lock his ass inside Camp David for the next 4 years and be done with it.
Trump Tower is a security nightmare. It would make much more sense for him and his transition team to decamp to Mar A Lago until inauguration day.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:51 pm

Shmenguin: "it's a shame the country is now in the hands of the party that is intent on stripping fathers from their homes"

Freddy: "the war on drugs is not a partisan issue because Bill Clinton and a magazine I read"

All Hard Evidence, Ever: "cut the crap, Freddy"
I haven't voted for President since 2004 and have not voted at all since 2008, but I do realize your binary D/R worldview is easier to understand.

I am for the decriminalization of drugs and am for the dissolution of the current prison system writ large, partly for the reasons you note. Illegitimate and immoral laws unnecessarily divide and destroy families.

But now that we have your lulz out of the way we can deal with content.