Politics And Current Events

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Islam can survive this, it is just going to be an incredibly painful and bleaching process. 300 years ago you could get burned at the stake for being a "witch". Times can change quickly

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:13 pm

I think it is going to take total war to eliminate this scourge from the planet. What does that look like? Don't ask me. But I promise you that pulling every American out of the Holy Land won't make a lick of difference.

If it wasn't for the Battle of Vienna in the 17th century (and the Battle of Tours centuries before), Europe would be a drastically different place, and not in a good way. A worldwide caliphate is not some fringe worldview, it is part and parcel of Islamic belief. There is no room for secular belief systems anywhere in the Koran
Just so we're clear, you're saying Islam has to be eradicated?
Well, to be fair, it's pretty obvious that these individuals believe that we need to be eradicated. No?

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:16 pm

I firmly believe that what we're actually witnessing are the death throes of a religion that, much like Christendom before it, is slowly losing its grip on the people. It's a long process, but it's going to happen and is already happening.
The crazy thing to me is that ISIL is basically and end-times cult. They are working to bring about the Quranic end-of-days scenario, where a small (5,000) group of Muhammad's followers are holed up in Jerusalem, fighting infidels, awaiting the salvation of Jesus.

It has been shared here before, but this piece from The Atlantic was published earlier this year. It remains perhaps the best short-form essay on what these wack-a-doodles are after.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... ts/384980/
Yes, it is a psychotic religious cult..yet you blame the West.
I don't think anyone here is "blaming the West" for the acts. But I'd like to hear the argument that we didn't create an environment that fostered the culture that feed the development of ISIS by our actions in the Middle East since the end of WWII

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:16 pm

The discussion has been a little more nuanced lately. I dig.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:17 pm

So them killing each other for hundreds of years is the fault of the USA?
This is about them killing us. I don't give a hot crap as to why they've been warring within their own faith.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:17 pm

Chechnya aside, the Ruskies have enjoyed all of this, as they largely were immune from things. That has changed and it would seem that it's now try a global war. If that's the case, then wipe these freaks out.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:22 pm

Islam can survive this, it is just going to be an incredibly painful and bleaching process. 300 years ago you could get burned Christians would burn you at the stake for being a "witch". Times can change quickly

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:28 pm

Islam can survive this, it is just going to be an incredibly painful and bleaching process. 300 years ago you could get burned Christians would burn you at the stake for being a "witch". Times can change quickly
Sorry, I thought this was implied. I was referring to how drastically even the Christian faith has changed in that time, and especially since the middle ages

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:38 pm

Sorry, I thought this was implied. I was referring to how drastically even the Christian faith has changed in that time, and especially since the middle ages
Ah, okay. I legit thought you meant that today witches/wicca are accepted. :lol:

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:49 pm

So them killing each other for hundreds of years is the fault of the USA?
This is about them killing us. I don't give a hot crap as to why they've been warring within their own faith.

They'd find another reason to kill us. We are just providing an easier one, in their eyes, right now.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:54 pm

Psychotics waging a religious war decide to expand it.
Shocking.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:59 pm

I apologize if this was already posted (if so, I didn't see it):

https://youtu.be/D9bk76nB6Bk

Very moving.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:49 pm

For anyone that thinks I am a total Islamophobe, I found this act to be incredibly disgusting and embarrassing:

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/v ... /76027308/

I wish people like this redneck didn't exist, because it completely shatters any rational debate in terms of the threat of radical Islam. This is an example of a *true* Islamophobe, no question.

But when I hear people like Hillary Clinton do everything they can to separate Islam from terrorism, it's infuriating. Terrorism in the 21st century is a distinctly Islamic thing, and you can say that while simultaneously acknowledging there are many other Muslims that follow the loose tenets of the faith, minus the killing and converting.

The only certainty is that this is only going to get more and more ugly. I don't anticipate any 9/11 style attacks in the near future, but there are going to be many attacks like what happened to that Russian airliner and what happened in Paris.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:05 pm

I don't anticipate any 9/11 style attacks in the near future, but there are going to be many attacks like what happened to that Russian airliner and what happened in Paris.
I wouldn't be so sure.

2,977 on a single day? Maybe not quite that large, but I can imagine a number of scenarios that, while killing slightly less people, would strike terror in American hearts and actually have an extremely large detrimental impact on commerce and the economy.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:41 pm

I don't anticipate any 9/11 style attacks in the near future, but there are going to be many attacks like what happened to that Russian airliner and what happened in Paris.
I wouldn't be so sure.

2,977 on a single day? Maybe not quite that large, but I can imagine a number of scenarios that, while killing slightly less people, would strike terror in American hearts and actually have an extremely large detrimental impact on commerce and the economy.
On NPR today they were talking about mustard gas and chlorine attacks as two chemical weapons attacks that are definitely "doable" in that they don't require a high level of technology and have quite nasty results.

ExPatriatePen

Postby ExPatriatePen » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:17 pm

I wouldn't be so sure.

On NPR today they were talking about mustard gas and chlorine attacks as two chemical weapons attacks that are definitely "doable" in that they don't require a high level of technology and have quite nasty results.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:18 am

I wouldn't be so sure.

I don't think New Yorkers are susceptible to chemical warfare. They live in filth

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:49 am

Groan ...

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:35 am

So we're headed for a Trump/Cruz showdown?
The good doctor looks to have begun his descent in the polls.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:38 am

My guess now is that HRC wins in November, with relative ease.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:48 am

My guess now is that HRC wins in November, with relative ease.
It's too early on a Friday to depress me like this.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:58 am

Agreed.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:01 am

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:03 am

Okay, that makes me a little happier.