Movie Thread

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:58 pm

AH, that makes sense. Yeah, that film was a steaming pile of awful.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:21 am

watched Jurrasic World last night. It was fun, but it didn't have any heart (only the first one did and that's why it's the best). It was kinda a downer with just about everyones character being so depressing. I thought it started off fairly well, but then about 45 minutes in when ingen took over the story (which you knew was coming), it went downhill. It's going to be extremely difficult to capture the magic of the first one again, especially with how much you can really do with sequels and a dinosaur park, but this felt like a reboot of the first trilogy only taking it's queues from the 2nd and 3rd movie to start off with. Where are they going to go with the next 2? It already feels like we are going to get a rehash of everything we already have seen. It was fun and I'm sure the 12 year olds got the same thing out of this as we did when the first one came out, but down the road they'll see how hollow it really is.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:01 am

I remember reading an article ages ago that claimed Jurassic Park 4 was going to feature dinosaurs with laser guns strapped to their back. This was later confirmed by a friend in the industry who worked on the early stages of JP4.

You know somewhere somebody is sitting in an office thinking, "Damn... A T-Rex with a laser?! I can't believe we passed on that. Get me Steve on the phone, I have a great idea for Jurassic 5."

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:03 am

the raptors came pretty close to having lasers on their back in this one...

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:04 am

The problem with Hollywood anymore is that nobody has anymore original ideas. We're just rehashing old movies, and in most cases, ruining them. This is exactly why I never want to see another Indiana Jones film ever again. The last one was bad enough.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:07 am

The problem with Hollywood anymore is that nobody has anymore original ideas. We're just rehashing old movies, and in most cases, ruining them. This is exactly why I never want to see another Indiana Jones film ever again. The last one was bad enough.

I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of creativity. All about the difficulty in getting a solid ROI.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:10 am

We'll agree to disagree then, because there are far too many reboots for my liking.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:17 am

We'll agree to disagree then, because there are far too many reboots for my liking.
Consumer activity supports the reboots.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2015

I'd argue that there are plenty of creative, original content. They just don't get supported with the large operating and advertising budgets.

But yes, I won't disagree that there are a lot of reboots. But I don't agree with the cause effect relationship you're attributing to that.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:18 am

there are still more quality movies coming out now than ever before. they just aren't the big budget ones.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:25 am

I agree that there are many low-budget original movies being made. But even with the reboots, you have a ton of big budget "original" movies also. At least "original" to the film world. There's the recent space trilogy with Gravity, Interstella, and The Martian. The highest grossing movie last year was American Sniper. Guardians of the Galaxy and LEGO movie were up there too. You have whatever Pixar puts out, which is usually an original story like Inside Out this year.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:28 am

I guess I'm just complaining about reboots in general. <shrug>

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:34 am

Reboots never bother me. If they're good, that's awesome. If they suck, oh well, it's not like the original is suddenly wiped from existence.

I consider Fury Road a reboot and it's my favorite movie of the year. Reboots can be awesome if done well.

robbiestoupe

Movie Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:35 am

I know this movie is probably not for everybody, but I'm really looking forward to it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2872518/

I expect some serious feels watching this. Definitely had many reading the book.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:09 am

I know this movie is probably not for everybody, but I'm really looking forward to it:

I expect some serious feels watching this. Definitely had many reading the book.
Man...Not sure I can make it through the beginning of that movie. I read the book before I had a child and I am willing to bet it would feel totally different now. Fantastic book. I love the imagery used for God's 3 'forms'.

robbiestoupe

Movie Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:19 am

Same here PFiDC. Read it before I had any kids. I've been thinking about rereading it anyway. It will be a good break from the Song of Ice and Fire marathon I've been on :lol:

I'm glad to see they have some legit actors in this movie, although not too surprised. It'll be interesting to see how it does in the theater.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:32 am

Man...Not sure I can make it through the beginning of that movie. I read the book before I had a child and I am willing to bet it would feel totally different now. Fantastic book. I love the imagery used for God's 3 'forms'.
I know nothing about this book, what would make it different with having kids?

robbiestoupe

Movie Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:37 am

I know nothing about this book, what would make it different with having kids?
The book starts out with the main character, Mack going on a camping trip with his kids. Two of his kids are canoeing and it tips over. Mack dives in the water to save one of the boys. In the meantime, he leaves his daughter behind at a picnic table. He comes back to find her missing. Finds out later that she was kidnapped and murdered.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:53 am

:shock: will not be reading that, thanks

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:55 am

This is my wife's response when I ask her if she wants to read any of the books that I've been reading (dystopian's for the past few years almost consistently). Too dark for her, apparently.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:54 pm

I'm sure any feels will be neutralized by Sam Worthington Sam Worthington-ing his way through the movie.

robbiestoupe

Movie Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:18 pm

That's as gruesome as the book gets, and it's a redeeming story. But like I said, not for everybody.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:01 pm

That's as gruesome as the book gets, and it's a redeeming story. But like I said, not for everybody.
I don't have a problem with this kind of stuff if it's in a fantasy or sci fi setting, but when it's too realistic, it's not appealing to me. sounds like an interesting premise. Anytime I hear about this type of thing, I remember this independent low budget movie from 2007 that was pretty interesting

The Man from Earth

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:18 pm

pretty shocking video of how bad things were on the hobbit movie

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:55 pm

After Take Shelter and Mud, Jeff Nichols is one of my favorite directors working. looks like that will continue

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:04 pm

pretty shocking video of how bad things were on the hobbit movie

I have never seen, nor do I ever plan to see, any of 'The Hobbit' movies, despite my love of the LOTR trilogy and all things Tolkien. This video does nothing but reinforce that position.