Job and General Employment Thread

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:30 pm

The kangaroos girlfriend works at UPMC. She is fine. One of her coworkers is nearing retirement age and works a very specific job with very specific skill sets. Coworkers agreement with management was that she would give them six months notice when she planned to retire so that she could train a replacement. today, she was laid off at 5 o’clock in the morning before anyone else showed up. Now no one knows how to do her job. Plus, no chance to Say goodbye. Nice job UPMC life changing medicine.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:33 pm

Damn, no Liam Neeson autograph for Christmas for you.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:14 pm

That's terrible, but she is likely in a quite enviable position among those 1000

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:51 pm

Aren’t there a shortage of nurses and doctors? They should be the last people laid off
ha you think they give a **** about that?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:08 am

The kangaroos girlfriend works at UPMC. She is fine. One of her coworkers is nearing retirement age and works a very specific job with very specific skill sets. Coworkers agreement with management was that she would give them six months notice when she planned to retire so that she could train a replacement. today, she was laid off at 5 o’clock in the morning before anyone else showed up. Now no one knows how to do her job. Plus, no chance to Say goodbye. Nice job UPMC life changing medicine.
Horrible.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:00 am

Career day at kindergarten tomorrow. Going to just show my outlook calendar and tell them to go be garbage men or fire fighters

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:28 am

Career day at kindergarten tomorrow. Going to just show my outlook calendar and tell them to go be garbage men or fire fighters
Very true. I grew up on “go to college and work hard.” I’m now teaching my kids to not only work hard but to concentrate on being able to build relationships and keep them. That phrase of “it’s not what you know but who…” is true in the sense that if you’re likable as well as hard working you’ll be much better off.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:51 am

yeah i was only being partially facetious lol. learn how to do HVAC kid.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:37 pm

mini meow saw my outlook calendar the other day. we had a good conversation about how asking someone for their time is actually a huge thing that shouldn’t be taken lightly, yet everyone seems to.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:12 pm

Yeah I don't know what it is about corporate America, maybe just my job in general but the satisfaction is so low right now. I wish I could start all over but keep my salary :lol:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:41 pm

Yeah I don't know what it is about corporate America, maybe just my job in general but the satisfaction is so low right now. I wish I could start all over but keep my salary :lol:
not sure what exactly what it's going to look like/if I'll be successful but I'm so disillusioned with corporate life right now that I'm gonna probably stay willfully unemployed for the next couple of months to try to start my own business. so sick of this ****

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:17 pm

I'm dabbling in that mindset myself...more of a side hustle type thing I think because it's really niche. But I'll dominate the niche...probably completely alone, in fact.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:01 pm

My uncle keeps hinting to me he wants to retire. He has a well established business that I'd be able to run, turn key. But when you own a business you can't expect a steady paycheck every month. That's scary to me.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:02 pm

like it's all pretend. Make believe. I know we're here to accomplish a common goal. But there are times where if I do something or do nothing the outcomes are nearly the same in both scenarios. So it's hard to get motivated.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:13 pm

I'm dabbling in that mindset myself...more of a side hustle type thing I think because it's really niche. But I'll dominate the niche...probably completely alone, in fact.
“$20 and I’ll watch a hockey game with you. $50 and we can cuddle during it.”?

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:35 pm

Very true. I grew up on “go to college and work hard.” I’m now teaching my kids to not only work hard but to concentrate on being able to build relationships and keep them. That phrase of “it’s not what you know but who…” is true in the sense that if you’re likable as well as hard working you’ll be much better off.
:fist:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:38 pm

work culture in general in the US is ****. In terms of employee rights we are way behind Europe

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:49 pm

work culture in general in the US is ****. In terms of employee rights we are way behind Europe
:thumb:

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:00 pm

“$20 and I’ll watch a hockey game with you. $50 and we can cuddle during it.”?
Pls delete, per our NDA...

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:12 pm

6 months in at a startup and I really enjoy it. It may change after the honeymoon phase but I get to work with really smart people and get to make an impact on a tech that may transform quite a few industries.

Of course there’s always the thought in the back of my head that I could lose my job tomorrow. That’s always a thought to have with any job but more real when your company is flushing more than $1mil in the toilet every day just to pay its employees with little to no revenue. But if we’re successful it would be very satisfying.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:34 am

My wife is beginning to make noises about retirement. Basically, she can retire next year with a full state pension. At age 50, after 30 years as a teacher (yes, she graduated early from high school/college and got her Masters degree before I got my BA, and I'm a year older. She's one of THOSE people :lol: )

I honestly never thought she would retire at the exact earliest moment she could do it, as there are benefits to working past year 30 - adding more to the pension and retiring at year 32 with additional years banked etc. But after my job change, she went back to the classroom after being an administrator for ten years and isn't enjoying it. Parents, colleagues, district administrators and the general climate makes going to work pretty tough most days.

She has to stay at this school for 3 years (next year would be her last) before switching schools or moving to a role in the district office. She's interviewed for a couple admin positions in her school, and saw lesser candidates get the jobs because they've been at the school or district longer. Again, it's who you know and who you can suck up to. So she's kind of stuck for another year and then doesn't want to switch schools and start over, even if it's the same grade.

So now were starting to scheme other jobs for her that won't affect her state retirement: tutoring, consulting, etc.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:38 am

My wife is beginning to make noises about retirement. Basically, she can retire next year with a full state pension.
Did you really need to elaborate beyond this point? It’s time to suck off the taxpayers teet.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:44 am

No, I guess not. :lol: Just that she's ridiculously young to be fully retired. And how I never thought she would actually do it so early, as she's loved being a teacher. Just driven out of the profession by craven administrators, dimwitted politicians, and entitled ignorant parents.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:47 am

Just driven out of the profession by craven administrators, dimwitted politicians, and entitled ignorant parents.
You described 99% of jobs.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 am

Someone sounds jealous :lol: jk but I know I would be hahaha