Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:08 pm

This was @ tif's post

I wonder how much of him being underwater is due to the type of people who became the loudest voices. Biden could turn all of them into millionaires and they'd still be chanting "Let's Go Brandon" and complaining about everything regardless because he's not the God King Trump.

I'd also argue he was handed a real **** sandwich, with 1/6 and Trumps tax cuts and Trump's handling of COVID... I feel like we're still trying to work our way back but that's a huge hole to climb out of.
Democrats aren't chanting "Let's go Brandon". He's in the position of being even Steven with Trump right now is because he's lukewarm - at the absolutely most charitable way of stating it - among Democrats. And that's the part that's baffling to me, and what I was getting at with the comment about his record.

Most of what's going on are things that are outside of any President's ability to control, or even really influence that much. But they all point to the question of "am I better off today than I was four years ago". (I'm sure that's a timeless calculus for incumbents, but I only remember it being an express tenet of the Reagan reelect in '84) And I think that's true for a far bigger chunk of the country than you'd probably believe given Biden's popularity numbers. That's the part I don't get, and what prompted the observation about his record.
About the “even Steven” stuff. That poll was paid for by a Trump PAC.
CNN Poll: Biden faces negative job ratings and concerns about his age as he gears up for 2024

Biden, Trump virtually tied in hypothetical match-up: poll
Quinnipiac, two weeks ago

538 average has them right at the margin of error across, I think, five polls, with Trump (generally) surging.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:13 pm

Get **** with the polls.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:56 pm

Nancy: die in peace at your own home, you old hag.

I mistakenly thought when she stepped away from the speaker role, she’d just go away forever.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:58 pm

Also, if Big GOP is reading this, I'll vote for a non-Trump affiliated moderate leaning conservative. Please.
Haley? She's polling marginally better than the others against Biden. She's in the Bush GOP mold.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:10 pm

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:15 pm

Yeah. I still believe that the GOP wins easily if they run anybody but Trump.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:19 pm

Will Hurd seems like the most moderate republican running. Unfortunately he has no shot and didn’t even make the stage for the first debate.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:39 pm

Again, Pelosi should be forced to retire.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:49 pm

That pence number confirms that the poll is ****

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:22 pm

Whether it's a perception that's properly earned or not, I would say the fact that Biden's consistency there - swings no more than four points - sort of suggests that he's the **** in voter's eyes.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:27 pm

the ****?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:29 pm

The ****.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:30 pm

oh, the ****

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:35 pm

**** off.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:48 pm

weenie NTP66 dodint

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:05 pm

Whoops, I was wrong.... apparently "I was just doing my job" only goes as far as the Northern District of Georgia.

Mark Meadows fails in bid to move Georgia election case to federal court
Charges against Donald Trump’s onetime chief of staff Mark Meadows over efforts to reverse the results of the 2020 presidential election will not be heard in federal court, a sign that similar bids by the former U.S. president and his co-defendants to move the criminal case to a more favorable venue will fail.

Friday's ruling by U.S. District Judge Steve Jones denying Meadows' request to move his case from state to federal court is an early win for Fulton County, Georgia, prosecutors, who in August charged Trump and 18 others with conspiring to overturn Trump's 2020 loss to Democratic President Joe Biden.

Trump, the frontrunnner for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, has denied wrongdoing and pleaded not guilty.

Meadows is accused of arranging calls and meetings in which prosecutors say Trump pressured election officials to change the vote count in his favor, including a call where he urged Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to "find" enough votes to deliver him the state. He has pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutors had argued that those acts were not "necessary and proper" duties for a U.S. president and his chief of staff, but Meadows said they were part of his portfolio as Trump's top White House aide. The law allows a defendant to have their case heard in federal court if the charges against them stem from their official duties.

A lawyer for Meadows did not immediately return a request for comment. He could appeal the ruling.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:37 pm

Today in "blatantly unconstitutional political acts"...

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:12 pm

Well, he's a business protecting a revenue flow. It's the right thing to not upset a country that you do business with. I don't see that as a bad thing when it comes to just business.

Unfortunately for him, he's a business that is in a highly political sector / defense sector that is located and based in USA. From that perspective, it should always be F*** Russia and he should very much be hammered into the ground from that perspective.

Are you implying that SpaceX does business with Russia? Because it totally doesn't. SpaceX is a competitor for the Russian space industry. Even before the invasion and the sanctions, SpaceX basically killed the commercial market for Proton launches because the Falcon 9 offered lower prices without all of the drama and risk of going to Russia. Before SpaceX came along, The post-Soviet Russian space program for about 15-20 years had a quite substantial chunk of the commercial launch market because they could offer much lower prices that companies like Arianespace. SpaceX came along and basically gutted that whole revenue stream. The Russians wouldn't hire SpaceX to do anything.

Neither does Elon like the Russians. When he was founding SpaceX, his original plan was to start off by buying old Dnepr rockets (which are based on retired Soviet ICBMs) to launch small payloads. The Russians laughed at him and his notion of a private space company and told him to eff off, so instead SpaceX developed the Falcon 1, which led to the Falcon 9.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:33 pm

Well, he's a business protecting a revenue flow. It's the right thing to not upset a country that you do business with. I don't see that as a bad thing when it comes to just business.

Unfortunately for him, he's a business that is in a highly political sector / defense sector that is located and based in USA. From that perspective, it should always be F*** Russia and he should very much be hammered into the ground from that perspective.

Are you implying that SpaceX does business with Russia? Because it totally doesn't. SpaceX is a competitor for the Russian space industry. Even before the invasion and the sanctions, SpaceX basically killed the commercial market for Proton launches because the Falcon 9 offered lower prices without all of the drama and risk of going to Russia. Before SpaceX came along, The post-Soviet Russian space program for about 15-20 years had a quite substantial chunk of the commercial launch market because they could offer much lower prices that companies like Arianespace. SpaceX came along and basically gutted that whole revenue stream. The Russians wouldn't hire SpaceX to do anything.

Neither does Elon like the Russians. When he was founding SpaceX, his original plan was to start off by buying old Dnepr rockets (which are based on retired Soviet ICBMs) to launch small payloads. The Russians laughed at him and his notion of a private space company and told him to eff off, so instead SpaceX developed the Falcon 1, which led to the Falcon 9.
Ok? Then why protect Russia and Putin?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:35 pm

Why should a private company be forced to get involved in a war?

Seems like the U.S. Government could have provided what Starlink does.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:35 pm

Mark Meadows denied move to federal court in GA case.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:38 pm

Why should a private company be forced to get involved in a war?

Seems like the U.S. Government could have provided what Starlink does.
Were they not already involved in the war by offering services to Ukraine to begin with?
Within days of Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, Mr. Musk sent Starlink terminals to the country in response to public pleas from Ukrainian officials. Throughout the war, the connectivity provided by Starlink has been pivotal for Ukraine to coordinate drone strikes and gather intelligence.
Only reason they held up is that he believe Russia would use Nukes AFTER speaking to Putin and co. Personally.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:55 pm

Ok? Then why protect Russia and Putin?

What Freddy said. Elon has been pretty clear that he is opposed to the war, believes the parties should negotiate a peace, and he is a highly reluctant participant in the whole mess.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:56 pm

Except he’s allowing Starlink to be used for the war already.

IIRC he supports the pro-Russia peace deal where Crimea goes back to Russia and Ukraine stays out of NATO.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:59 pm

The funny thing about all of this is to ignore the obvious and that is Musk is slowly become more and more insane, likely due to overuse of ketamine and who the hell knows what else. He’s not a rational person anymore despite what all his fanboy think