Bug ID Thread

dodint

Bug ID Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:27 pm

Nice, thanks. Ordered some borax bait on Amazon.

robbiestoupe

Bug ID Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:30 pm

I notice with those traps the ants for some reason don't even notice it. So I'll nudge one towards the entrance, it'll go in, and the next day or two you'll see ants marching in and out of the trap.

Troy Loney

Bug ID Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:32 pm

What’s everyone’s lantern fly situation?

I have two bush / vine type things near my house that they congregate on everyday I go out and mash a couple times a day.

Also on my dog walk, I take beachwood most days and there’s a stone wall where they fester. I take junk mail catalogues with me and mash as I walk past

MrKennethTKangaroo

Bug ID Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:53 pm

There's a tall ass tree of heaven between my two neighbor's property line. Ive had a few in my yard but the full invasion hasn't reached this neck of the South hills. But it's a matter of when, not if.

Kane

Bug ID Thread

Postby Kane » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:56 pm

Had to look those up - always wondered what they were called. TIL.

Ad@m

Bug ID Thread

Postby Ad@m » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:24 pm

The wife put out some traps but maybe they're just old. The ants walk right by them on the way to whatever they were attracted to in the first place.
I mentioned this in another thread, but give the clear 'take back to the hive' ant bait [with I think Borax in it] a try, and give it a week to see how it does. Every few years we get those tiny little ants, and putting a few traps near where we find them has resolved it for us.
We used to use those Terro ant bait traps that had liquid in them, but they are messy. My wife found a solid version of this that seems to work just as well, minus the sticky mess around the trap: https://maggiesfarmproducts.com/product ... l-ant-kill

NTP66

Bug ID Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:25 pm

The wife put out some traps but maybe they're just old. The ants walk right by them on the way to whatever they were attracted to in the first place.
I mentioned this in another thread, but give the clear 'take back to the hive' ant bait [with I think Borax in it] a try, and give it a week to see how it does. Every few years we get those tiny little ants, and putting a few traps near where we find them has resolved it for us.
We used to use those Terro ant bait traps that had liquid in them, but they are messy. My wife found a solid version of this that seems to work just as well, minus the sticky mess around the trap: https://maggiesfarmproducts.com/product ... l-ant-kill
My man. :thumb:

RonnieFranchise

Bug ID Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu May 30, 2024 8:08 am

Appears I have termites, powder post beetles, or some other wood destroying insect in my fence.

A couple years ago I had giant carpenter ants coming into the house and bought a product called PT Phantom that seriously left those mf'ers dead in their tracks on the way to wherever they thought they were going. Been spraying that on the fence, we'll see how it goes. Appears confined to a fairly small area. Just piles of sawdust (which is actually their poop, not sawdust) and no apparent structural damage so far.

Leaving for vacation on Saturday, if it is still going on when we get back I need to call an exterminator because I can't have those mf'ers destroying my fence or getting to the house.

They are actually a pretty fascinating part of the ecosystem but stay away from my property.

skullman80

Bug ID Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 30, 2024 9:12 am

Anyone having an unusual amount of small ants in their home this summer? We usually get the bigger black ants that find their way in during the spring rains, but this is the first year we're having an onslaught of tiny ants. If one piece of dog food misses the dish they'll find it and swarm. We've been killing them with spray for about two weeks but it doesn't seem to matter. Thinking of calling for an exterminator.
The one year we had an ant issue I got that Ortho home spray stuff and sprayed all around the foundation of the house, and the doorways (inside and out), windows, back patio etc and that seemed to put a stop to that quickly. I now do that same thing normally in early spring and we haven't see any issues with ants since then.

This is the stuff we use...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ORTHO-Home-Def ... 1000194289

dodint

Bug ID Thread

Postby dodint » Thu May 30, 2024 9:13 am

The stuff NTP66 suggested got rid of the small ants almost immediately.

skullman80

Bug ID Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 30, 2024 9:19 am

I didn't realize I was replying to a post from july of last year. Oops lol. Guess I'm not in this thread that often.

RonnieFranchise

Bug ID Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu May 30, 2024 5:57 pm

So the correct answer was carpenter bees. Which as far as damage goes, it could have been much worse. They just bore and lay eggs without causing mass destruction.