Colossal TV Show thread

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:31 am

S2 of Schmigadoon (aka "Shmicago"). First ep was alright, 2nd ep very entertaining. I'm a fan of Cabaret and Chicago so the overall premise this season is an easy sell for me.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:31 am

Succession
Well damn.
That was something else. Some of the best TV I've ever seen. They did the death scene with the kids in a single 30 minute take. Unreal.
Yep. Absolutely one of the best episodes of television in recent memory. Performances were unreal. I haven’t really been feeling invested in this show lately but man that episode is a game changer in a way that i haven’t felt since the red wedding. Wedding episodes, man.
amazing episode

Troy Loney

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:04 am

while the outcome of the saga is going to drive intrigue. It’s just going to be hard for that show to hold the same level without Logan. Such a force of a character (both the performance and the writing)

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:18 am

while the outcome of the saga is going to drive intrigue. It’s just going to be hard for that show to hold the same level without Logan. Such a force of a character (both the performance and the writing)
i disagree. this is the final season so we probably only have 6 episodes left. even tho logan is gone, the control he still has over his kids will be apparent and will impact the show. additionally tom's heel turn has been enjoyable to watch. if the show were going to go beyond this season, i would agree but the other actors are extremely strong and the show is well written and it close out at the right time

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:25 am

i disagree. this is the final season so we probably only have 6 episodes left. even tho logan is gone, the control he still has over his kids will be apparent and will impact the show. additionally tom's heel turn has been enjoyable to watch. if the show were going to go beyond this season, i would agree but the other actors are extremely strong and the show is well written and it close out at the right time
I'm with LITT. This was a much needed kick in the ass for the show. It had already become repetitive and formulaic. Now all of a sudden the power dynamic has shifted. The kids, who were united against Logan, are going to get cut-throat and turn on each other. The board, who had become powerless with Logan around, are suddenly put into a position of authority. And I'm sure there will be some backstabbing going on there as well. Tom (and Greg) are going to see this opportunity and do all they can to take advantage of it, and save their own asses. I just hope 6 episodes is enough and it doesn't feel rushed. By the way, as for who will actually be the successor, my money is on Greg.

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:26 pm

I'm with LITT. This was a much needed kick in the ass for the show. It had already become repetitive and formulaic. Now all of a sudden the power dynamic has shifted. The kids, who were united against Logan, are going to get cut-throat and turn on each other. The board, who had become powerless with Logan around, are suddenly put into a position of authority. And I'm sure there will be some backstabbing going on there as well. Tom (and Greg) are going to see this opportunity and do all they can to take advantage of it, and save their own asses. I just hope 6 episodes is enough and it doesn't feel rushed. By the way, as for who will actually be the successor, my money is on Greg.
I think the show will be fine too, but I'll miss Logan. Every scene with him is just heightened. I think it ends up being Tom. I feel like he's shown he adapts to situations and can manipulate people. Kendall is just a caricature. Shiv thinks she's much smarter than she is. Roman is probably the smartest of the kids but not cut-throat enough. Greg is interesting, but not sure he could pull it off yet.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:08 pm

WBD had a press event today to announce the launch of their combo HBO Max and Discovery+ streaming service, creatively titled MAX. Along with this news came some show announcements, Dunk and Egg as mentioned in the GoT topic, a Conjuring series, more True Detective starring Jode Foster, this show that will be absolutely incredible:

Most surprisingly though,
“The stories from each of Rowling’s Harry Potter books will become a decade-long series produced with the same epic craft, love and care this global franchise is known for. The series will feature a new cast to lead a new generation of fandom, full of the fantastic detail, much loved characters and dramatic locations that Harry Potter fans have loved for over 25 years. Each season will be authentic to the original books and bring Harry Potter and these incredible adventures to new audiences around the world, while the original, classic and beloved films will remain at the core of the franchise and available to watch globally.”
I'm down for a season per book Harry Potter series. That's something different than a movie reboot.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:41 pm

I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan. I've read the first three books, got the jist of the series, and didn't bother with the rest. I enjoyed movies as well, and watch them like I do LoTR - every couple of years or so. But the Potter films condense so much of the story that a show really makes sense.

But dropping the HBO name? That's just dumb tbh.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:08 am

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:46 am

That looks interesting. For a second there, I was getting Fargo vibes.

The McConaughey-Harrelson season is some of the best TV ever made. I watched the second season, but remember nothing from it, and didn't bother watching the third with Mahershala Ali. Are the stories at all connected? This Alaska season has some weird occult stuff that reminds me of the first season.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:55 am

That looks interesting. For a second there, I was getting Fargo vibes.

The McConaughey-Harrelson season is some of the best TV ever made. I watched the second season, but remember nothing from it, and didn't bother watching the third with Mahershala Ali. Are the stories at all connected? This Alaska season has some weird occult stuff that reminds me of the first season.
Same, watched the lame second season, didn't bother with the third. This looks good, though. Also: Jodie Foster. I remember being disappointed with how season 1 ended, somewhat ruining the whole experience.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:03 am

Yeah, now that I think about it, I remember the ending wasn't perfect. Up until then though - it was nearly perfect.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:11 am

The spirals have to be a connection to season 1, right? Also is this on HBO or just Max?

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:13 am

The spirals have to be a connection to season 1, right? Also is this on HBO or just Max?
It will be on Max, but from HBO studios (I think?)

Now that I think of it: the streaming platform is Max, but there still will be an HBO cable channel, right?

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:17 am

It will be on Max, but from HBO studios (I think?)

Now that I think of it: the streaming platform is Max, but there still will be an HBO cable channel, right?
Right. Warner Bros Discovery really screwed the pooch with this rebrand.

the wicked child

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby the wicked child » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:42 am

Yeah, now that I think about it, I remember the ending wasn't perfect. Up until then though - it was nearly perfect.
I think the big issue was that there was so much symbolism and little things that pointed to some wild **** going down... People were speculating about all the different things that could happen... And it really didn't deliver on any of that, which is what I think hurt it a bit for a lot of people.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:58 am

yup

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:21 am

Joegap

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Joegap » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:44 pm

Anyone watch Beef on Netflix? It was a little weird to me at first, but enjoyed the first season.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:38 pm

Anyone watch Beef on Netflix? It was a little weird to me at first, but enjoyed the first season.
Just added it to my watch list after the reviews.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:49 pm

Mrs Maisel
The second episode of season five opens with a flash forward of a 60 minutes interview with an incredibly successful (and about 20 years older) Midge. The show is as quick and funny as ever, but this struck me as such an odd choice. The driving force of the show has always been “will Midge make it?” I mean, last season’s climax was Lenny telling Midge not to blow it. So, learning that not only does she not blow it and does in fact make it, but she’s one of the most successful comedians of all time really kills the central intrigue of the show.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:40 pm

Mrs Maisel
My wife wanted to start this tonight and after her five minute recap of S4 we came to the realization that she watched it with her mother while she lived with us during the pandemic and all I've seen of S4 is Midge stripping down in the street in E1. At least the weekly releases give me time to catch up.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:43 pm

The Detectorists is my new favorite discovered show.

Top 4 theme song.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:37 am

:thumb:

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:54 pm

@Freddy Rumsen Yeah, it's an excellent show. Love the theme song as well. Don't forget to find the Christmas special that came out of the blue at the end of last year.

I also love the theme that plays when these two come on screen

And then the Simon and Garfunkel jokes kick off... :lol: