Politics And Current Events

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:56 pm

It's definitely dodgy because when people hear it's being transmitted primarily in the gay community, they think that it's only gay folks who need to be aware, but you also want to give people all of the information needed to protect themselves. It also may create unwarranted hate/stigma where people call it a gay disease or blame gay people, sort of like when bigots called Covid the "China flu."

When over 95% of people who are getting a disease are gay, then it is a gay disease. While "everyone can get this" may be technically correct (yes, the best kind of correct), that cushions and lessens the message for the one group that needs to hear it the most: gay men who have promiscuous sex with multiple other men. That group should be the focus of messaging, and the messaging should be very clear and explicit that: (1) this disease is being spread by sex; and (2) for crying out loud, if you are someone inclined to have sex with other men, please help us stop the spread of this disease by not putting strange peens in your mouth/butt (or putting your peen into strange mouths/butts) for the next couple months, or at least until you've received a monkeypox vaccination. But that sort of direct messaging is mostly not taking place precisely because health officials are worked about "stigma" bulls**t.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:15 pm

That messaging is taking place by members of the community according to members of the community. Much like covid messaging, some are still ignoring it.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:41 pm

This headline says it all:
Louisiana delays storm aid for New Orleans over abortion dispute

The state’s bond commission voted to temporarily block a $39 million line of credit to the city for a power station to combat flooding until the Democratic mayor and council rescind vows to defy the state’s new abortion ban.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... hurricane/

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:12 pm

Never should have 'rebuilt' it the first time.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:14 pm

Never should have 'rebuilt' it the first time.
That's a different issue.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:55 pm

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:03 pm

That messaging is taking place by members of the community according to members of the community. Much like covid messaging, some are still ignoring it.

If accurate (and I have no doubt you are correct) would not those people in fact deserve some stigma for their behavior?

Certainly, people here and elsewhere were not shy about expressing their belief that the anti-mask and anti-vax people were (and still are) idiots who were screwing things up for other people. Neither were health officials shy about calling people out. We even had health authorities closing down restaurants and other businesses and arresting people. Yet I perceive a lack of the same forcefulness when it comes to messaging about monkeypox.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:10 pm

As it should be. They are wildly different conditions

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:18 pm

I know. I hate it when people on the train don’t wear their condoms and pass on monkey pox to everybody.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:33 pm

That is why I wear two at all times.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:36 pm

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:16 pm

I know. I hate it when people on the train don’t wear their condoms and pass on monkey pox to everybody.
Yes, totally different situations. That's why the Covid shutdowns only applied to places where people would come into contract with others involuntarily and didn't impact any businesses or events where people we willing to accept the risk of being around other people. Oh, wait, no they didn't. To the contrary, the government sued to shut down those businesses that wanted to stay open and accept the risk, such as the Crack'd Egg.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:51 pm

Are we still discussing the 50th iteration of the 5 boring American politics topics? :)

Just to interrupt the important monkeypox discussion - here is part 2:

(The gentleman in the video is apparently https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olavi_Uusivirta )

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:35 am

Yeah it’s called the Dunning-Kruger effect

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:33 am

If accurate (and I have no doubt you are correct) would not those people in fact deserve some stigma for their behavior?

Certainly, people here and elsewhere were not shy about expressing their belief that the anti-mask and anti-vax people were (and still are) idiots who were screwing things up for other people. Neither were health officials shy about calling people out. We even had health authorities closing down restaurants and other businesses and arresting people. Yet I perceive a lack of the same forcefulness when it comes to messaging about monkeypox.
I’m not crying for a person that gets monkey pox at this point, if that’s what you’re asking. The risks are known. They need to adjust behaviors for a bit to stamp this thing out… numbers are on the decline by the way so it seems they are.

You posted about how it’s largely transmitted via intercourse. So stigmatizing all gay men seems like the opposite of factual messaging. There are many monogamous gay men. Many gay men that don’t participate in the activities that would lead to an increase in getting monkeypox. So wouldn’t messaging “it is a gay diseases” be the the wrong messaging?

I’m also not worried about monkey pox at all. Is it killing people? Not really. Is it being transmitted to people’s grandmas? Not really. Is it having a huge impact on our hospitals? Not really. Is it shutting down the whole country? Nope. I brought up covid to show how completely 100% different the situations are… and they are.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:40 am

Yes, totally different situations. That's why the Covid shutdowns only applied to places where people would come into contract with others involuntarily and didn't impact any businesses or events where people we willing to accept the risk of being around other people. Oh, wait, no they didn't. To the contrary, the government sued to shut down those businesses that wanted to stay open and accept the risk, such as the Crack'd Egg.
I’m pretty sure there have been a total of zero monkeypox deaths in the US. Monkeypox is closer to ceftriaxone/azithromycin resistant gonorrhea than covid in basically all aspects of the disease.

I’m not sure how this is even an argument at this point. You, as a libertarian, want to invade the personal lives of people because of a disease that isn’t life threatening? Should we shut down country concerts when someone gets herpes? Covid killed millions of people. Monkeypox has literally killed not one person in the US.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:55 am

Yeah it’s called the The Diane-Kruger Effect.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:58 am

he doesn't give a whit about gay guys and monkeypox
all he cares about is pointing out what he considers to be an obvious contradiction
remember, libertarians are smarter than the rest of us, plebe

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:51 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:44 pm

Please tell me that is Photoshopped…

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:45 pm

Okay, it is. He’s kissing his own star, which is almost as weird.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:42 pm

Dr Oz has a star? not that I cared about it but hat invalidates the whole star thing anyway

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:47 pm

Dr Oz has a star? not that I cared about it but hat invalidates the whole star thing anyway
I think anyone of any fame can have one but it has to be paid for by the person or their fans/supporters.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:16 pm

I think anyone of any fame can have one but it has to be paid for by the person or their fans/supporters.
That’s right. Anybody can nominate somebody for a star. The star needs to accept the nomination, have five years experience in entertainment (there are different categories that qualify), a history of “charitable contributions,” and, most importantly, a payment of $55,000.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:27 pm

Sounds like the "Radio Hall of Fame" that Stern used to make fun of.