Something Still Wrong with Sid?

EdOlczyk

Postby EdOlczyk » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:01 am

I might just be looking into it too much but Sid is not the same player at all.

He's lost a step, his burst of speed he used to crank up and it's showing.

This has been a weird year with inconsistent refereeing but I seriously think he has something long term that will only get worse as time goes on.

I hope I am reading too much into it but this is supposed to be his prime years. What say ye

shafnutz05

Re: Something Still Wrong with Sid?

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:05 am

I have kind of flip-flopped on this...earlier in the season, I would have told you he's playing scared, mentally off, nagging injury, etc. But I mean....he is #1 in the league in scoring. You can't really sneeze at that. Granted, it's a measly one point per game :pop: , I'm much more inclined now to lend credence to the way the league is being run rules-wise now.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:58 am

This is the first time in his career that I personally am questioning his effort. Against the Kings the guy looked like the best player in the league, then the next couple games he is barely noticable. Not sure if it is an injury or him throttling down to be 100% come playoffs.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:16 am

I don't question his effort, but I think something is just off.

He is still one of the best in the league, but he isn't "Sid".

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:24 am

his effort defensively certainly looks off. But offensively it seems like the league has a problem more than Sid.

Sid is leading the league in points despite all the crap we give him. That's got to count for something. Considering scoring is down in the entire league, I'm not too worried about his offensive production.

But his "controller has been disconnected" crap has to end in the defensive third.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:55 am

He's been much much better this month. You can really see him taking the puck to the net a whole lot more. He could stand to skate harder in the defensive zone, but honestly who couldn't? He's coming around, the whole team is just pretty snakebitten in scoring right now.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 am

Yeah that shot percentage stat was pretty telling. Total funk mode

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:00 am

When was the last time he was healthy going into the playoffs? I am pretty certain that I can recall him saying he was injured the past 3 playoffs after they were eliminated.

This team is top heavy and needs production from Malkin and Crosby to move on, its that simple.

If he is in fact throttling down until the playoffs I am fine with that as long as he gives 100% and is healthy come round 1.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:37 am

When was the last time he was healthy going into the playoffs? I am pretty certain that I can recall him saying he was injured the past 3 playoffs after they were eliminated.

This team is top heavy and needs production from Malkin and Crosby to move on, its that simple.

If he is in fact throttling down until the playoffs I am fine with that as long as he gives 100% and is healthy come round 1.
I don't think anyone is ever truly healthy.

But you are right, if the Pens move forward, they need production from Geno and Sid, and that hasn't occurred outside of flashes in the playoffs in like 5 years.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:45 am

Geno was generally very productive last year in the playoffs. He had 14 points where the first non-LAK/CHI guy was McDonough at 17 points.

Sid on the other hand had 9 points and was a -4 (Geno was +6).

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:50 am

Sid's playing almost 2 minutes less per game this year compared to last year.

I think that, combined with his perceived amount of effort, can be traced back to HCMJ saying he wanted to take the load off of them in the regular season. I think Sid and Malkin both aren't exactly going all out by design, to be ready for the playoffs.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:50 am

Geno was generally very productive last year in the playoffs. He had 14 points where the first non-LAK/CHI guy was McDonough at 17 points.

Sid on the other hand had 9 points and was a -4 (Geno was +6).
Yeah, I guess I'm saying at the same time. It seems when one is up, the other is down, and vice versa. And especially Sid in the playoffs. Geno will get hot every so often.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:06 pm

I can't think its anymore than the game itself causing him to have a "down" year. If it weren't for injuries, this would be the 4th straight season he's challenging for the scoring title. Maybe 5th out of 6th my math may be off. But going back to the high ankle sprain, the concussion, then the jaw, each of those times the scoring race was OVER when he got hurt. I just can't look at a year when the Art Rose winner may not even have 90 points and think Sid's all of the sudden lost a step. The way the league is to me is about 95% to blame.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:54 pm

Sid's playing almost 2 minutes less per game this year compared to last year.

I think that, combined with his perceived amount of effort, can be traced back to HCMJ saying he wanted to take the load off of them in the regular season. I think Sid and Malkin both aren't exactly going all out by design, to be ready for the playoffs.
I think it will definitely be interesting how this translates to the playoffs.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:18 pm

I had heard an idea that Sid's stature makes it harder for him to fight through the muck. It makes sense to me that its easier for a defenseman to drape on him than it is a guy like Malkin.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:22 pm

On one hand, it's like he's definitely not the same. But he's leading the league, can we really complain? In the past the argument has been they're all world in the regular season then flame out in the playoffs. Hopefully HCMJ is just reversing that and keeping some gas in the tank to use come May & June.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:23 pm

On one hand, it's like he's definitely not the same. But he's leading the league, can we really complain? In the past the argument has been they're all world in the regular season then flame out in the playoffs. Hopefully HCMJ is just reversing that and keeping some gas in the tank to use come May & June.
Kind of where I'm at. He is frustrating as hell to watch sometimes, but at the end of the day he's leading the league in points. If he does well in the postseason, I'll forget all about those drop passes and turnovers.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:26 pm

He just reminds me of his original self of being Adam Oates on Steroids. I just think its the league. At his current pts/game rate he'd be well ahead (well him and Malkin). I just think the league is...well boring.

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:33 pm

He's also sounded sick here and there in post game interviews, so that might be something.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Frankly I think Sid needs to go to a remote village in Mongolia from the middle of June to September to clear his head. I don't get the impression he is really enjoying his work, mostly for the same reasons Mario did not either in the mid-90's. The idiotic way the games are referred and how little there is actual hockey being played has to be hard on someone with such natural skill.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:40 pm

Frankly I think Sid needs to go to a remote village in Mongolia from the middle of June to September to clear his head. I don't get the impression he is really enjoying his work, mostly for the same reasons Mario did not either in the mid-90's. The idiotic way the games are referred and how little there is actual hockey being played has to be hard on someone with such natural skill.
Lemieux was a bit more vocal during his playing career. Sid wont criticize the NHL or the game. That is good and bad.