Rutherford actively pursuing first-rounder.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun May 24, 2015 3:30 pm

From Molinari.
The Oilers are one of six teams — Buffalo, Toronto, Arizona, Philadelphia and Winnipeg are the others — holding two first-round choices this year, and Rutherford figures to focus his efforts on some of those clubs.

“There are some teams that have acquired an abundance of first-round picks, and they may not need them all,” he said. “I’ve actually talked to a couple of those teams already.”

Sabres GM Tim Murray has made it known he’ll listen to offers for the lower of Buffalo’s two first-rounders, No. 21 overall.

The Penguins have only one selection, their second-rounder, in the first four rounds this year. Florida received their No. 3 in the 2014 trade for Marcel Goc and their fourth-rounder went to Toronto in the Feb. 25 deal for Daniel Winnik.
Molinari also discusses combining the draft pick that the Pens could ask for in return for Bylsma (he's Buffalo's top choice, it seems) in a bigger deal for a 1st-rounder.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun May 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Once again, the Pens are letting Bylsma twist in the wind.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun May 24, 2015 7:34 pm

Wonder what they would need to give up. Could a promising but largely unproven goaltending prospect (Murray or Jarry) yield a first round pick?

Defence21

Postby Defence21 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:07 pm

Once again, the Pens are letting Bylsma twist in the wind.
He's getting paid. Hard to feel sorry for him.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun May 24, 2015 9:13 pm

#joking

Anyway...who exactly do the Pens have, who could be packaged to get a first? I suppose there is Sutter...

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun May 24, 2015 9:18 pm

They could move up with trading someone like Bennett or someone with their 2nd. Not saying they should, but there're options, I think.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun May 24, 2015 9:19 pm

To get a first? Surely you jest.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 24, 2015 9:23 pm

"They may not need them all"

This can't be a thing an NHL GM said about first round picks.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sun May 24, 2015 9:24 pm

*Shrug* I dunno, was just throwing out a tradeable piece, not necessarily saying it's a good deal. I think the market's definitely there for picks, especially from someone like Buffalo who already has a wealth of prospects (soon-to-be-Eichel, Reinhart, etc). Trading a pick for an NHL player like Kunitz or something.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun May 24, 2015 9:43 pm

I'd rather he were actively pursuing a better scouting department.

FLPensFan

Postby FLPensFan » Mon May 25, 2015 12:14 am

I'd rather he were actively pursuing a better scouting department.
:fist:

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Mon May 25, 2015 8:13 am

Kunitz, Scuderi, and rights to Bylsma for a #1 pick.

Amirite?

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon May 25, 2015 8:14 am

Kunitz, Scuderi, and rights to Bylsma for a #1 pick.

Amirite?
Is that you, C&G?

Craig

Postby Craig » Mon May 25, 2015 8:32 am

I was thinking the same thing. If thats a thing, the pens should be grabbing up firsts every year.

Defence21

Postby Defence21 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:48 am

I was thinking the same thing. If thats a thing, the pens should be grabbing up firsts every year.
I think you're reading too literally and nitpicking a bit. I read the quote as Rutherford saying there are a few teams out there stocked with young talent that might be willing to part with a first rounder for help elsewhere.

It's less of "they may not need them all" and more of "they have needs that likely won't be filled with a later first rounder." It's like any trade: you have an abundance of an asset, so you use it to bring in another type of asset your team is lacking. In this case, the asset is a draft pick or ultimately youth. Teams can have an abundance of youth, and not enough experience.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 25, 2015 9:25 am

That's possible, but I don't think GMJR has earned the benefit of the doubt it this regard.

Defence21

Postby Defence21 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:59 am

That's possible, but I don't think GMJR has earned the benefit of the doubt it this regard.
Not sure I understand? I realize GMJR speaks his mind often and has had the tendency to dig a few holes with his words, but his one year tenure here, to me, has been pretty good, minus a few mistakes -- taking on Spaling and trading Despres for Lovejoy. Not sure why he hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 25, 2015 10:02 am

He's been fairly cavalier with our draft picks so far, which is no small blunder considering our lack of organizational depth. He also had one big trade chip that he played, and got nick spaling as a side piece instead of something useful and future-oriented.

Defence21

Postby Defence21 » Mon May 25, 2015 11:24 am

He's been fairly cavalier with our draft picks so far, which is no small blunder considering our lack of organizational depth. He also had one big trade chip that he played, and got nick spaling as a side piece instead of something useful and future-oriented.
I suppose it's all in how you view it. I am not a huge fan of Spaling, and too would have liked to see another quality piece, such as a draft pick or young player in return. But there's no arguing that the Penguins got what they truly wanted/needed in Hornqvist, who came better than advertised. I'll also agree that Rutherford send draft picks a bit too willingly, specifically in effort to acquire Winnik. That being said, he turned Bortuzzo into Cole, which has the potential to pay major dividends. He also brought in Comeau, Downie, and Ehrhoff on bargain deals -- some more successful than others -- and acquired Perron for what, at the time, was considered a bargain return of a 1st rounder and Klink.

I'll agree overall that Rutherford has made some mistakes, but I'm of the opinion that his good has outweighed his bad. He's earned the benefit of the doubt, in my opinion, but I realize that's not a consensus view.

Arturs Irbe

Postby Arturs Irbe » Mon May 25, 2015 11:39 am

Wonder what they would need to give up. Could a promising but largely unproven goaltending prospect (Murray or Jarry) yield a first round pick?
That'd be my guess. If they're not trading a core piece or a young defenseman then there aren't many other options on the current roster. Perron would be the only player I could see that might get them a first round pick back.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 25, 2015 11:47 am

I suppose it's all in how you view it. I am not a huge fan of Spaling, and too would have liked to see another quality piece, such as a draft pick or young player in return. But there's no arguing that the Penguins got what they truly wanted/needed in Hornqvist, who came better than advertised. I'll also agree that Rutherford send draft picks a bit too willingly, specifically in effort to acquire Winnik. That being said, he turned Bortuzzo into Cole, which has the potential to pay major dividends. He also brought in Comeau, Downie, and Ehrhoff on bargain deals -- some more successful than others -- and acquired Perron for what, at the time, was considered a bargain return of a 1st rounder and Klink.

I'll agree overall that Rutherford has made some mistakes, but I'm of the opinion that his good has outweighed his bad. He's earned the benefit of the doubt, in my opinion, but I realize that's not a consensus view.
He did some good things, I agree.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Mon May 25, 2015 1:08 pm

i'm still disgusted edm got mcdavid

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon May 25, 2015 2:08 pm

Depending on what they think of Pouliot, they *could* trade Letang.

Defence21

Postby Defence21 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Depending on what they think of Pouliot, they *could* trade Letang.
I don't necessarily advocate this, as it would leave a veteran void on a defense that likely will lose Martin and Ehrhoff and maybe even Scuderi. Letang also is a Norris-caliber defenseman that championship teams need to win. All of that being said, he's not very good on the power play, and with Maatta, Pouliot, and Cole in the mix, this team has enough guys who can run the show. If Letang brought back a major haul, such as a first rounder and at least one high end NHL-ready prospect, it might be worth considering -- but he'd be awfully difficult to trade given how good he was this season (hard to give him up) and given how badly hurt he was at the end of this season (hard to find takers?).

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 25, 2015 3:14 pm

Letang is amazing. One of the most impactful D-men in the league night to night.

And I would be totally fine if he was traded. I have no faith in his health.