Off Season Moves Thread

Tico Rick

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Tico Rick » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:57 pm

Downie has good skill, and he is a good soldier who you can always count on to stick up for his teammates, but his inability to control himself became problematic. I won't miss him.
Was it a problem in the playoffs? A lot of Downie's problems stem from the name on the back of his sweater and not his actions.
That's true, but unfortunately, if the sweater he wears is a Penguins sweater, his problems become the Penguins' problems. The team loses out because of the refs bias against Downie. This is another reason not to keep him, IMO.
Isnt it the only reason?
My point being that, while one can be sympathetic to things beyond Downie's control - the refs hating him - this hurts the team just as much as things that are under his control - his emotions. Both served to the detriment of the team, making him more of a liability than an asset.

Tico Rick

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Tico Rick » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:17 pm

Downie scored more goals per 60 minutes of ice time than Marian Hossa did last year:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/865 ... z3eKWoCUiI

Yowza.

columbia

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby columbia » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:22 pm

I would like to see him return.

skullman80

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:32 pm

Tiops is saying the Pens had an offer from a western conference team for Kunitz.
Tiops is about as unreliable as they come.

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:35 pm

Bit extra from Yohe on Cole.
Cole will tell you that his play had improved toward the end of his time in St. Louis. But he’ll also tell you the trade to the Penguins was the best thing that ever happened to him. His relationship with Hitchcock wasn’t always positive.

“The change of scenery was huge,” he said. “But I really think it comes down to the fantastic opportunity I was given in Pittsburgh. It really allowed me to showcase how I’ve grown and matured, not only as a player but as a person.”

Allow me to share one other story about Cole. I was in Buffalo minutes after the final game of the regular season, when the Penguins had clinched a playoff spot with a 2-0 victory. Johnston, looking mighty relieved, engaged in conversation with me. The topic? Ian Cole.

“Man,” Johnston said, shaking his head. “We liked him when we got him, but we didn’t know he was this good. Wow. What a good player he is.”

beachboy76

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby beachboy76 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:47 pm

Bit extra from Yohe on Cole.
Cole will tell you that his play had improved toward the end of his time in St. Louis. But he’ll also tell you the trade to the Penguins was the best thing that ever happened to him. His relationship with Hitchcock wasn’t always positive.

“The change of scenery was huge,” he said. “But I really think it comes down to the fantastic opportunity I was given in Pittsburgh. It really allowed me to showcase how I’ve grown and matured, not only as a player but as a person.”

Allow me to share one other story about Cole. I was in Buffalo minutes after the final game of the regular season, wh

en the Penguins had clinched a playoff spot with a 2-0 victory. Johnston, looking mighty relieved, engaged in conversation with me. The topic? Ian Cole.

“Man,” Johnston said, shaking his head. “We liked him when we got him, but we didn’t know he was this good. Wow. What a good player he is.”
Cole to Johnston is Adams to Bylsma and Ouellet to Therrien. :o

Except ya, Cole can contribute.

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:22 pm

:mrgreen:
Tiops is saying the Pens had an offer from a western conference team for Kunitz.
Tiops is about as unreliable as they come.
I agree. Leading up to the draft i heard on the fan that the Ducks had interest in Kunitz. I wonder if he made it up or if an actual offer was made. Kunitz is the closest we have top a 2nd line LW'ER at the moment

Craig

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Craig » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:44 pm

Downie has good skill, and he is a good soldier who you can always count on to stick up for his teammates, but his inability to control himself became problematic. I won't miss him.
Was it a problem in the playoffs? A lot of Downie's problems stem from the name on the back of his sweater and not his actions.
That's true, but unfortunately, if the sweater he wears is a Penguins sweater, his problems become the Penguins' problems. The team loses out because of the refs bias against Downie. This is another reason not to keep him, IMO.
Isnt it the only reason?
My point being that, while one can be sympathetic to things beyond Downie's control - the refs hating him - this hurts the team just as much as things that are under his control - his emotions. Both served to the detriment of the team, making him more of a liability than an asset.
Same could have been said for Cooke. I think each of those guys made the team better anyway.

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:29 am

https://twitter.com/dcmahiban/status/615651906728407042

No idea why we'd be contacting Franson... but then again, I had no idea why we'd be contacting Ward either. Might as well see if they're willing to strike a deal, I guess.

Bioshock

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Bioshock » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:58 am

Pens were after Franson at the deadline earlier this year. If nothing else, Rutherford sure is persistent. When he zero's in on someone he stays with it until it's absolutely no longer feasible.

columbia

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby columbia » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:04 am

https://twitter.com/dcmahiban/status/615651906728407042

No idea why we'd be contacting Franson... but then again, I had no idea why we'd be contacting Ward either. Might as well see if they're willing to strike a deal, I guess.
They're both, um, "heavy", so perhaps that's it.

Beveridge

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:25 am

What is the issue with Ward? Isn't he more of a net front, in your face, type player?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby meow » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:40 am

What is the issue with Ward? Isn't he more of a net front, in your face, type player?
Ehh, not really. He is a fairly skilled industrious guy. He's better on the wall than in front of the net.

Dickie Dunn

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:45 am

I like Ward, but I think the issue with him is that he'll turn 35 in December and is coming off two pretty damn good seasons with the Caps and might be looking for a raise over the $3 million he made last season.

Defence21

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Defence21 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:48 am

I like Ward, but I think the issue with him is that he'll turn 35 in December and is coming off two pretty damn good seasons with the Caps and might be looking for a raise over the $3 million he made last season.
Yeah -- Ward is a nice player who would have been a great fit the last time he was a free agent. This team, in my opinion, needs to be seeking players on the good side of 30. Not only is he on the bad side of 30, he's on the bad side of 35. Really not good.

Franson, I can understand, as he'd provide another long-term, young asset to what already promises to be a deep, young group for the long haul. If they grab him, you'd have to think one of Lovejoy or Scuderi is gone -- maybe even both. While I am not opposed to such a signing, I would hope it wouldn't be to the detriment of the offensive signing/trade they've so frequently discussed as a "must" this summer.

Last year something similar happened when GMJR discussed adding scoring, then plucked Ehrhoff out of nowhere only to ignore offense. This can't happen twice in a row.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 am

Ward's 34? wow...he's a lot older than I thought

I wouldn't mind him for a 2 year contract. Any more than that and I'm turned off

Clams Herbert

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Clams Herbert » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:17 am

Pass on Ward. He's a workhouse for sure, but we need top 6 help more than anything at the present. He's gonna get paid at least $4 million and he's the wrong side of 30 for me. Which is, anything over 30 lol.

Craig

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Craig » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:22 am

Ward's 34? wow...he's a lot older than I thought

I wouldn't mind him for a 2 year contract. Any more than that and I'm turned off
Younger than i thought. Hes gonna fall of the table soon though.

The U

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby The U » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:52 am

Joel Ward wants a 4 year deal. Yikes. That would scare me away. As mentioned above, I would have liked to have him the last time he was a UFA....this time...not so much.

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:54 am

Couple twitter quotes from LeBrun & Dreger (putting in spoiler to take up less space.)
Test. Ah... so the media plugin doesn't work if it's the first text after the spoiler tag.
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/sta ... 0335814656
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status ... 8508436481
Molinari confirms Pens DON'T want St. Louis.

Edit: Also, a brief quote from DK that makes me more concerned.
Rutherford needs to work together with his assistant GMs on a plan that makes sense for now and the short-term future. It can’t just be now. There’s a strong sense I get — and it gets stronger by the day — that Rutherford is much more about now than pretty much everyone else in the fold.
Highlights my main concern with the trades thrown out: Pens're (again) hamstringing the future for success today. Just offering it as food for thought; DK doesn't say he has any inside knowledge to confirm it, just as he says "a strong sense he gets."
Last edited by Avyran on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:04 pm

(Changing it from just copying the twitter feed.)

Canes placed Alex Semin on buyout today; Florida did the same for Boyes. Adds a couple names to the market, and Semin's a guy I'd be happy for the Pens to sign to a good contract.
Last edited by Avyran on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

columbia

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby columbia » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:06 pm

With the right deal....yes.

Clams Herbert

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Clams Herbert » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:06 pm

Hahaha. So much for that theory.

columbia

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby columbia » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:17 pm

Today was the deadline for buyouts?

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:18 pm

1st buyout window closes today. Semin & Boyes latest victims. There is a 2nd window in Aug., but only for teams w active arbitration cases.