Off Season Moves Thread

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:00 pm

Both of those two proposed trades make us a worse team now and in the future IMO
Sutter is going to walk and Kunitz shouldn't be playing top 6 minutes. Bennett isn't going to get a fair shake. None of these players fit into our long term plans.

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:16 pm

I agree with slappy (though likely for a different reason). If we have to give up Pouliot for Oshie, the trade isn't worth it. The Skinner trade I can get more on board with, though I despise the idea of once again trading a first rounder. The Pens desperately need high-end (hell, even middle-end) prospects in their system. As of now, it consists of Kapanen & Sprong, and maybe Harrington. None are NHL ready.

I'd rather give Plotnikov a try & see what can be snagged at FA before going further. Heck, I'd rather try Plotnikov & Tikhonov with Malkin just to see if they have any synergy. If they don't, well, at least the Pens have a 3rd-line replacement or two when they deal Kunitz & whoever for Rutherford's coveted top 6 winger.

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:25 pm

I agree with slappy (though likely for a different reason). If we have to give up Pouliot for Oshie, the trade isn't worth it. The Skinner trade I can get more on board with, though I despise the idea of once again trading a first rounder. The Pens desperately need high-end (hell, even middle-end) prospects in their system. As of now, it consists of Kapanen & Sprong, and maybe Harrington. None are NHL ready.

I'd rather give Plotnikov a try & see what can be snagged at FA before going further. Heck, I'd rather try Plotnikov & Tikhonov with Malkin just to see if they have any synergy. If they don't, well, at least the Pens have a 3rd-line replacement or two when they deal Kunitz & whoever for Rutherford's coveted top 6 winger.
That was my point, I wouldn't trade picks for Skinner let alone our 1st. To be honest I'd be happy with ditching Scuderi and signing both Williams and Tlusty. I'd do that before trading any assets.

Defence21

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Defence21 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:06 am

If Rutherford circles back to St Louis, I think the Penguins' best option is what Dreger suggested might be the topic of discussion: Sutter for Oshie and Fabbri. I would assume the hang up there was twofold: one, GMJR was holding out for Kessel and didn't want to hurt his chances by making another trade and two, St. Louis wanted more than just Sutter. So how about Sutter and Harrington for the pair?

While I really like the idea of Skinner, I'm worried the Penguins will have to give up too much to get him. If they can grab Fabbri and Oshie in a deal without giving up Pouliot or a 1st rounder, they not only would secure an entry level major scoring prospect, but a winger who could be rejuvenated on a new team. They'd be solving a problem now without depleting their chances to continue to replenish talent for the long haul through the draft.

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Fabbri-Malkin-Oshie
Plotnikv-Fehr-Dupuis
Spaling-Tikhonov-Bennett

I'd sign Fehr to play third line center, deal Kunitz for a draft pick, and deal Scuderi to a team needing to reach the cap floor. I'd then sign Gonchar to be the 6th defenseman who takes a regular night off.

Letang-Maatta
Cole-Pouliot
Doumalin-Gonchar/Lovejoy

I feel like Gonchar might bring a bit of calm to an otherwise "hyper" team. He'd also be a fantastic mentor for Pouliot, who could grow into this team's power play QB before long. Who better to teach him how to run a power play with Crosby and Malkin than Sarge?

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:05 am

D, Gonchar is toast man. He's not for this league any more...your point is well taken, but it's gonna have to be someone else. Gonchar was healthy scratched right out of the league last year...I'd be very surprised if he got another NHL contract...

Craig

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Craig » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:56 am

Maatta and pouliot each look slotted a pair high to me. Maatta broke down real bad his first year when logging high minutes and didnt play most of last year. I think if hes logging minutes with letang he may be breaking down in february again.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:12 am

We need more depth, not less. Other than dumping Kunitz and Scuderi we shouldn't look to trade the farm for any one player

Jim

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Jim » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:00 pm

Per Rob Rossi:

The Pens offered their 2016 1st, Kunitz, Pouliot, and Scuderi for Kessel. Leafs declined.
Where did he get that info?

Jim

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Jim » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:04 pm

I would like to see what Kessel could do in Sid's wing for an entire season.
Yeah, I am not sure why everyone is so opposed to getting a 35g-80pt (as the top defensive target) guy. He doesn't back check very hard... ao what, there are 5 other guys on the ice to cover for that. Not every player on every line on every shift has to do everything.

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:14 pm

I'd like to see how free agency plays out first before we go the trade route. If we can get Tlusty at a reasonable price, he would be a nice add to the left side in a Top 6 role. If Oshie can be had for Sutter I think you have to pull the trigger. We could have the below top 6 without giving up Pouliot, Maata, or any picks. Imo, that is huge.

Tlusty - Crosby - Hornqvist
Perron - Malkin - Oshie

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:14 pm

I would like to see what Kessel could do in Sid's wing for an entire season.
Yeah, I am not sure why everyone is so opposed to getting a 35g-80pt (as the top defensive target) guy. He doesn't back check very hard... ao what, there are 5 other guys on the ice to cover for that. Not every player on every line on every shift has to do everything.
In a vacuum, I'd be super-happy to get the guy. In light of the Pens' current situation & what they'd have to give up to get him, though...

slappybrown

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby slappybrown » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:11 pm

@MarkMaddenX: No1 wants Phil Kessel. If @PenguinsGMJR wants 2b exception 2that, Pens shud pay accordingly. At this pt, taking Kessel=doing Leafs a favor.

Mark... Stop mark.

Clams Herbert

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Clams Herbert » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:13 pm

No idea what his contract is, but word is Shattenkirk is available. Hell of a way to round out the defense. Somehow package up and get him, and a mix of Backes, Oshie, and Rattie. Sutter, Dumolin/Harrington, Bennett, a 1st? Who knows.

Clams Herbert

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Clams Herbert » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:15 pm

@MarkMaddenX: No1 wants Phil Kessel. If @PenguinsGMJR wants 2b exception 2that, Pens shud pay accordingly. At this pt, taking Kessel=doing Leafs a favor.

Mark... Stop mark.
Everyone seems to think Mr. The Thrill is some terrible, lazy player. He's not. Literally the only thing that's the issue is the cap. It's not a matter of if. Phil would get 40-50 goals playing with Sid or Geno.

Avyran

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Avyran » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:18 pm

Wait, Shattenkirk's available? That doesn't make any sense... he was arguably their best defender last year, IMO (better than Pietrangelo). I doubt that's true.

Whatever the case, he's at 4.25 for 2 more years.

columbia

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby columbia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:23 pm

Clams Herbert

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Clams Herbert » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks columbia. Yeah, if true, that's a player you throw some serious stuff for. He's a stud.

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:42 pm

If Shattenkirk is available, which would be curious, the Blues have to come away with a top tier #1 center...that's something they haven't had with this core...

Clams Herbert

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Clams Herbert » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:59 pm

If Shattenkirk is available, which would be curious, the Blues have to come away with a top tier #1 center...that's something they haven't had with this core...
Good thing we have a wonderful new Brandon Sutter for them!

Yeah they've never seen a true first line center with this young crop. Who could even make that swap though? You'd think it would have to be a kid on an early contract with a high ceiling.

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:09 pm

How about something around Jason Spezza in Dallas...? David Krejci in Boston...? Possible veteran guys that could be the principles in a bigger deal...I don't know...frankly, I find it very unlikely that they move him before decommissioning guys like Oshie and Steen...

Clams Herbert

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby Clams Herbert » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:11 pm

Bleh. He's a true #1 D. Not elite but definitely a #1. I'd think they could do better than an old in return.

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:21 pm

Letang, Sutter, Kunitz, 2016 2nd rd pick

for

Shattenkirk, Oshie, and Steen.

mikey

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 pm

Bleh. He's a true #1 D. Not elite but definitely a #1. I'd think they could do better than an old in return.
Definitely, but desperation is a stinky cologne. If they want to get this thing going and, ya know, get out of the first round...they need some impact now help, not some "two years later he'll be good...probably" or else I'd say exchange him for Draisaitl or something...but that's not gonna cut it.

Shattenkirk and Oshie for Krejci, Marchand, Khoklachev and maybe a pick...?

spiritfan

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby spiritfan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:30 pm

another day gone by and the Pens get another day older... one thing GMJR can do and has control of is buyout Scuderi and Kunitz by Wednesday... all of this silly Kessel trade stuff should be over by then... to take Kessel the Pens have to trade S or K... buyout won't clear enough cap space... one thing is certain, this franchise is a mess and that hour long after draft meeting of the four horseman... the GMJR and Morehouse talk away from the table during the draft is very very interesting... perhaps some back stabbing going on?... yes, the circus has arrived at the country club... BRING IN THE CLOWNS!

thehockeyguru

Off Season Moves Thread

Postby thehockeyguru » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:36 pm

another day gone by and the Pens get another day older... one thing GMJR can do and has control of is buyout Scuderi and Kunitz by Wednesday... all of this silly Kessel trade stuff should be over by then... to take Kessel the Pens have to trade S or K... buyout won't clear enough cap space... one thing is certain, this franchise is a mess and that hour long after draft meeting of the four horseman... the GMJR and Morehouse talk away from the table during the draft is very very interesting... perhaps some back stabbing going on?... yes, the circus has arrived at the country club... BRING IN THE CLOWNS!
One thing that is undeniable is that Moorehouse should not be involved in any hockey operations decisions. The fact that he was at the draft seemingly giving his opinion really bothers me. I hope he is gone the moment that Mario sells his interest in the team.