McCann to TOR for Hallander and a 7th

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:00 pm

Although, a lot of people are saying championships are built from the 4th line LW out.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:07 pm

I mean JFC the guy is a nice player but he's just a guy... unremarkable.
He is. The best. Defensive forward. In NHL history. Are you this stupid in real life...? His defense rating is 100. Supposedly, out of 100...so...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:11 pm

Although, a lot of people are saying championships are built from the 4th line LW out.
No point in even pretending to compete if you can’t shore up the fourth line LW.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:22 pm

Hockey “analytics” are busting people’s brains. I’m sure Patrick Maroon is a quarter of the 4th liner that ZAR. It’s like they are plugging numbers into their phones the entire game instead of watching ZAR and McCann disappear 15 games at a time

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:25 pm

Also…

Pens fans directly after loss to the Isles: we need to get bigger, we were pushed around

Pens fans after trade of soff, playoff disappearing McCann: what are we doing giving up a guy who was so good?!?!?!?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:28 pm

Underwhelmed at the return but better than giving him to Seattle for free I suppose.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:50 pm

Uncharacteristically, I tweeted out some stuff about this trade...it won't get read, but there's analytics that I have access to that aren't public domain that tell a different story about McCann...

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:41 pm

He’s a guy. An NHL guy but a guy none the less. I don’t think his 14-17 goals make or break anything the Pens want to do.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:47 pm

Uncharacteristically, I tweeted out some stuff about this trade...it won't get read, but there's analytics that I have access to that aren't public domain that tell a different story about McCann...
All 69 followers will appreciate it

meow

Postby meow » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:50 pm

I’m not here to beat the anti-analytic drum, but it should be a fourth or fifth level of player evaluation. Pass the eye test. Pass the character test. Pass the teammate test. Then maybe get into some deep numbers. I’m all for saying “This is the worst defensive player in the league” and some fancy stats guy saying “actually, he’s not that bad. He’s about average.” And then me saying “shut up nerd. I was exaggerating.”

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:51 pm

Lol **** hell mikey. You think I’m going to seek out your seldom used Twitter account to read about proprietary analytics developed by “professionals” employed by teams when I can look at a JFresh analytics card developed by hastily aggregating generic stats available to the masses through the API for the league website, repost and retweeted by every half assed blog and Redditor like they’re **** gospel? Not a chance. McCann is the second coming of Bobby Clarke. Time to embrace it.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:55 pm

I’m not here to beat the anti-analytic drum, but it should be a fourth or fifth level of player evaluation. Pass the eye test. Pass the character test. Pass the teammate test. Then maybe get into some deep numbers. I’m all for saying “This is the worst defensive player in the league” and some fancy stats guy saying “actually, he’s not that bad. He’s about average.” And then me saying “shut up nerd. I was exaggerating.”
Sorry meow. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the player headed to his fourth team in seven seasons before hitting 26 years old. Analytics say he’s perfect. You’re just uneducated.

meow

Postby meow » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:56 pm

Shut up nerd

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Also…

Pens fans directly after loss to the Isles: we need to get bigger, we were pushed around

Pens fans after trade of soff, playoff disappearing McCann: what are we doing giving up a guy who was so good?!?!?!?
Legitimately think they'd rather their team win the Analytics Cup than the Stanley Cup

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:59 pm

DD's anger toward Jesse is beautiful

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:01 pm

Yeah, I'm sure Zach Aston **** Reese is the piece Seattle needs to make a run in year 1.

How many of the 31 other GMs have even heard of Zach Aston Reese?
He's an analytics darling. All of them.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:58 am

Count me into the group that thought we would get more for McCann.

I will have to wait and see the list of unprotected defensemen / what Seattle claims, but most should teams with 4 decent defensemen should rather acquire a McCann instead of paying Seattle to not take their 4th defenseman?

Edit: I always find it strange that 7th round picks are included in these deals. I know that Hextall likes draft picks, but a 7th must be worth very close to nothing...

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:57 am

@Dickie Dunn
heh

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:20 am

We'll find out in about an hour or so, but it sounds like McCann won't be protected by Toronto...so, that would be two upper echelon teams that will protect depth players over him...

meow

Postby meow » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:27 am

Dinosaurs beating up nerds. Again. SMDH

Jim

Postby Jim » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:31 am

We'll find out in about an hour or so, but it sounds like McCann won't be protected by Toronto...so, that would be two upper echelon teams that will protect depth players over him...
He himself is basically the definition of depth player.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:33 am

We'll find out in about an hour or so, but it sounds like McCann won't be protected by Toronto...
lol

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:35 am

Did you not see his goals above replacement rate...? He is actually the #1 player in the league on a per minute basis...I'm dead serious (about the stat, not the sentiment)...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:59 am

Hopefully this just completely does Jesse in. CPZ started it. McCann can finish it.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:04 am

Did you not see his goals above replacement rate...? He is actually the #1 player in the league on a per minute basis...I'm dead serious (about the stat, not the sentiment)...

How were Gaudreau's meaningless, I mean advanced stats? He is older but seems like a good #13 type. Did better in Pittsburgh than in Nashville. Better (keep UFA) option than Jankowski, maybe even over Sceviour or Rodrigues (blaspheme).