Penguins Prospects Thread

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:08 am

I'm sure someone has done some work on these lists to test their veracity, right? Does "the #14 prospect in MLB" over the years actually mean anything...? Does that mean you're almost certainly getting a player...? I don't know. I don't get how baseball scouting works, I don't get the sheer scale of it, I don't get pitchers vs hitters values, I don't get any of it...
It would be interesting for someone to put together a formal analysis using a measure like WAR to see which ranking is the most reliable and what common traits there are for players that are rated high and bust vs players rated low that break through. But it would be more of a comparative analysis than say "here's a reasonable valuation for the #25 ranked prospect" due to the volume of outlets/scouts that rank prospects (little consensus beyond maybe the top 10 guys, and that's generally just using empirical data (where a guy was drafted by an actual team combined with their performance in the minor leagues).

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:23 am

#20: Ty Glover - no upside
#19: Chase Yoder - no upside
#18: Emil Jarventie - not good at anything
#17: Nolan Collins - no upside at all
#16 Raivis Ansons - dropped four spots from las year

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:24 am

@mikey hates Nolan Collins.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:53 am

That's not fair to say...I hate all of those players.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:28 am

Where the hell do 15 other guys come from?

Blomqvist, pieniniemi, belliveau, Pickering, poulin, uhh... tankov, broz, yager

Umm... svejkovsky? Puustinen? Gruden? Alexander pechurskiy?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:44 am

It's probably Johannes Salomonsson, Keven Veilleux, then Filewich...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:53 pm

I was on the ice with Filewich once and he was trash

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:07 pm

TIL: There's something called the THHL...Tiger Hills Hockey League. Where, five years after scoring 30 (!) in the AHL and getting a cup of coffee in the NHL, he wasn't finishing top 3 in scoring in the Tiger Hills Hockey League...a regional senior league in Southwestern Manitoba...

meow

Postby meow » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:18 pm

I don’t right recall if it were the summer before or after his 30 tuck A season this was but you can imagine my shock

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:46 pm

Does this men rally looks like sucks to you...? He cash the net and he score.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:02 pm

Good for him on managing to get his face out of the way before smashing into the post.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:16 am

it's encouraging to see that in 2015 Rust was ranked as our 19th best prospect: https://www.pensburgh.com/2015/8/3/9090 ... er-25-2015

that either means we had a ton of great prospects at that time (which could be true considering we won back to back Cups soon after) or that the top 25 isn't as pointless as we think

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:29 am

The list is right there. It's pretty good.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:28 pm

Interesting. We will never come close to that with this year's list.

400+ NHL Games (4) - maatta dumoulin rust guentzel
200-399 (10) - kapanen sundqvist Archibald Murray blueger Harrington pouliot jarry megna Bennett
100-199 (2) - Wilson, despres (193 each)
1 or more games - Dea (37) Samuelsson (13) payerl (2) uher (2)

D'agostino, Byron, McNeill, marcantuoni, zlobin the only 5 to never play a single NHL game. 710 total AHL games among them.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:28 pm

A lot of lessons at the top of that list about guys that care and guys that compete...that's why you go to the rink, that's why you have to talk to players, and coaches, and their teammates, and their billet family and all that kind of stuff...because on tape, Pouliot, Despres, those guys make it. They make it in a video game, ya know? Where you don't have to account for personality and drive and all that stuff really...those guys had the technical skills to do it and just didn't care that much...those were 1st round picks.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:36 pm

A lot of lessons at the top of that list about guys that care and guys that compete...that's why you go to the rink, that's why you have to talk to players, and coaches, and their teammates, and their billet family and all that kind of stuff...because on tape, Pouliot, Despres, those guys make it. They make it in a video game, ya know? Where you don't have to account for personality and drive and all that stuff really...those guys had the technical skills to do it and just didn't care that much...those were 1st round picks.
it's one of those things that I always wonder how much scouts/GMs look into when evaluating prospects for drafts, trades and what else

I know it's not that cut and dry but I'd much rather invest in a team of lower skill, higher drive guys than higher skill, lower drive guys. We're obviously in a place of luxury by having a generational talent in 87 on our roster but it infuriates me in any sport when the team I follow drafts a guy who is obviously talented but also obviously doesn't really care that much. They're going to sputter out more quickly than someone who gives a **** (because the giving a **** not only means they're going to put effort in during the games but also they're going to continue to try to improve on their skills in practice/the offseason)

ERod is a punching bag here but I do appreciate his game because you can see the fire in his eyes, despite his obvious lack of talent

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:41 pm

Marcantuoni is a fitness model now so I guess that's something.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:54 pm

it's one of those things that I always wonder how much scouts/GMs look into when evaluating prospects for drafts, trades and what else
Right. It's a matter of preference. You stated yours. So, that's how your draft would form, with that kind of weight. I know a team that goes: IQ, Compete, Skill, Skating, Misc.

I know a team that goes: Skating, Skill, IQ, Compete because they feel like they can coach up compete enough to make the skill shine through.

So, it's all considered. And some guys end up getting ND'd because of their interview or because of their compete or because an off-ice incident that folks don't know about...but the weight of attributes matters.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:17 pm

Skating, Skill, IQ, Compete
This is madness

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:29 pm

Yeah, I don't endorse that certainly...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:34 pm

What kind of egotistical **** nut thinks they can coach up compete level?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:50 pm

What kind of egotistical **** nut thinks they can coach up compete level?
morons

it's kind of funny whenever I'm playing a pickup sport and hear either myself or someone else get called a "tryhard". even in pickup sports, you're **** damn right I'm a tryhard. why would I not put in full effort?

meow

Postby meow » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:05 pm

I’m not going to endorse that. Adult league try hards are pathetic people most of the time

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:08 pm

Especially those who play a level below their actual skill.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:20 pm

Especially those who play a level below their actual skill.
I’ll concede that. If I’m playing against people that I know I’m better than I’ll generally play at some % of my actual compete level because that’s just not fun

but if I’m playing against people at or above my skill level I’m definitely going full Gym Class Hero. Not because I care that much about winning but because I pride myself in my compete level