GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

NTP66

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 16, 2021 3:52 pm

I still think we win this series, but Jarry needs to be better.

The U

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby The U » Sun May 16, 2021 3:53 pm

How do you give up 41 shots to the Islanders in a playoff game? I guess it’s a good thing they play a trap and don’t commit to extra offense or perhaps we would have given up 60 shots.

Many of their scoring chances were from the center of the ice and were dangerous. Most of ours seemed to come with the shooter within a few feet of the boards. (Which is prime scoring area if you’re shooting on Jarry but not Sorokin)

shoeshine boy

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby shoeshine boy » Sun May 16, 2021 3:55 pm

I'd prefer never to hear another sentence that contains the words "Guentzel" and "boards".
that was as cheap a play as I've seen by a goalie in years. Sorokin knew he was dead on the wrap around if Jake got that puck. complete BS that it's only 2:00. didn't feel bad at all when Rusty dumped that Fish Stick on Sorokin's back in OT.

skullman80

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby skullman80 » Sun May 16, 2021 3:55 pm

Losing game 1 isn't a death knell but Jarry needs to not be poop and the team after the first period overall didn't play very good outside of short bursts. That needs to change.

shmenguin

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 16, 2021 3:56 pm

Isles got physical and turned the game around.

Goaltending needs to be better but it’s not like we got bad goaltending intentionally. This team still being a bunch of little waifs, however...

Dickie Dunn

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun May 16, 2021 3:58 pm

Jarry played extremely timid and without an ounce of testicular fortitude. As good as the Sid line and two-thirds of the Carter line were, there were a lot of guys out there today that need to pick it up. Did Zucker or McCann play? Third line did nothing noticeable after Gaudreau’s goal. Fourth line played a lot of minutes but did not forecheck as I would expect them to. Pettersson-Marino pairing is charming soft. Goaltending was the biggest issue, but there’s more to sort out from this effort.

Blue Canary

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby Blue Canary » Sun May 16, 2021 4:02 pm

Sorokin >>>> Jarry. And that’s not supposed to be the case.
No, it’s not.

IMO, this is on Jarry. But if the team saw that Jarry was feeling the stage, and not in a good way, then just one PP goal would’ve helped. You guys cited other good examples (forecheck, timidity, etc.) of what the Pens have to address.

I’m not buying this business I’m reading on message boards (my big mistake, I know) that Trotz has Sully’s number. Sully’s beaten him twice when the Caps had greater talent than these Isles. (BTW, didn’t we lose game 1 to Trotz’s Caps in 2016? And Sully figured him out then.)
Last edited by Blue Canary on Sun May 16, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaucho

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby Gaucho » Sun May 16, 2021 4:04 pm

It's on Jarry, period.

FistOfCaufield

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby FistOfCaufield » Sun May 16, 2021 4:12 pm

i thought ceci effort on the second goal was atrocious, basically gave an nhl goal scorer a free look… and marino got bill rushed by a guy whose not physical on the ot goal… learn to erase someone… have some sand in the pants

The U

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby The U » Sun May 16, 2021 4:15 pm

Goaltending needs to be better but it’s not like we got bad goaltending intentionally. This team still being a bunch of little waifs, however...
With our new front office, I think this is probably the last season in which our average height and weight is 5’10 175lbs.
I don’t think a team this small/timid is capable of surviving multiple rounds of playoff hockey. Life for the opponent is made way too easy.

Blue Canary

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby Blue Canary » Sun May 16, 2021 4:19 pm

With our new front office, I think this is probably the last season in which our average height and weight is 5’10 175lbs.
I don’t think a team this small/timid is capable of surviving multiple rounds of playoff hockey. Life for the opponent is made way too easy.
Genuine question: Shouldn’t speed cancel out size disadvantage? Can’t push around a team that out-thinks and out-skates you, right?

Or am I overestimating the Pens’ team speed?

Gaucho

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby Gaucho » Sun May 16, 2021 4:21 pm

No need to overanalyze the game. The loss is on Jarry and Jarry alone.

shmenguin

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 16, 2021 4:24 pm

The things that get our bench pumped up are limited to a handful of fortunate moments within any given game. A team like the isles or caps can go will themselves to get engaged and amped up by changing the physical tenor.

If we get goaltending and play like we have been, it doesn’t matter. We can win. But when something is off, this team doesn’t have a toolkit to balance it out

Blue Canary

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby Blue Canary » Sun May 16, 2021 4:29 pm

No need to overanalyze the game. The loss is on Jarry and Jarry alone.
You’re always looking out for my mental well-being.

Stop it.
j/k :P

The U

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby The U » Sun May 16, 2021 4:34 pm

The things that get our bench pumped up are limited to a handful of fortunate moments within any given game. A team like the isles or caps can go will themselves to get engaged and amped up by changing the physical tenor.

If we get goaltending and play like we have been, it doesn’t matter. We can win. But when something is off, this team doesn’t have a toolkit to balance it out
Agreed, good point. Teams with more physicality can flip a switch and generate momentum. I don’t think any of this contributed to today’s loss in a big way but this is just a general thought I have as I watch this team play. It’s like building a basketball roster with all Guards and not big men. You’ll be faster than some players on the other team but is it worth not having any size, net front presence, physical forecheck, or ability to eliminate guys and create odd man rushes? Many times today a physical confrontation resulted in a Penguin falling down to the ice and giving the Islanders a chance the other way.

We have lost 10 of our last 11 playoff games. Something about the mixture/makeup of this roster is off regardless of what happened today.

meecrofilm

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby meecrofilm » Sun May 16, 2021 5:03 pm

Jarry played extremely timid and without an ounce of testicular fortitude.
Multiple times I was surprised Jarry didn't come out to play the puck. Seems it was indeed indicative of a larger issue.

Made some real good saves, but you're often judged by the ones you let in, not the ones you stop, in terms is quality. Deflating performance.

willeyeam

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby willeyeam » Sun May 16, 2021 5:19 pm

Sorokin >>>> Jarry. And that’s not supposed to be the case.
I think Sorokin looked pretty shaky. He ultimately got the W and didn't let in the softies like Jarry, but he looked like one of those dudes from the 80s flopping all over the place. I feel fine about this series if he's in net again

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby meow » Sun May 16, 2021 5:20 pm

Welp. We can’t get worse goaltending next game, right? Right??

Part of Jerry’s allure. His aura. Is that moxy he plays with. He’s very confident in his abilities. He was not today

faftorial

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby faftorial » Sun May 16, 2021 6:24 pm

Maybe Jarry is still injured? What was it that kept him out of the last game?

King Colby

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby King Colby » Sun May 16, 2021 8:22 pm

Pens were good today, not great but good enough to win. Passable goaltending would have got the W.

I thought the weak link up front was the Blueger line. Tons of minutes but not good ones.

the wicked child

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby the wicked child » Sun May 16, 2021 9:48 pm

Maybe Jarry is still injured? What was it that kept him out of the last game?
High Glove.

willeyeam

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby willeyeam » Sun May 16, 2021 9:56 pm

Jarry had an injured brain and glove hand, apparently

Cagsjr724

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby Cagsjr724 » Sun May 16, 2021 10:16 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pens still win this series. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders sweep them again.

mikey

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby mikey » Sun May 16, 2021 10:57 pm

So, virtually anything is possible...?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 1

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun May 16, 2021 11:57 pm

So, virtually anything is possible...?
Flyers winning the Cup still isn’t