Meow's Morning Meeting - 4-22-15 vs. NYR - GAME 4

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:49 am

Morning Yinz. Short and sweet today. The Pens don't have the horses to compete with the President Trophy winners. You can point fingers at anyone you want, but it really is that simple. You can't have 75% of your top 4 D out and expect to do much. This roster is giving it their all, but it ain't enough.
Last edited by meow on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:01 am

It's frustrating because we're there...we're in these games, we're structured and well-intentioned...we might be just a Letang away from a tie series or even a 3-1 lead...the margin is so tight...but Letang is a player that is worth that one-goal swing, so to speak...I'm just frustrated, not disappointed with the team...this is what I expected, HCMJ has us playing the right way, Fleury has been stellar, etc. but we just can't quite reach the gold ring...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:03 am

From what I watched, I was pleased with the play last night, but you nailed it... It's impossible to expect this team to match up well against such a talented team like the rangers. Still, I really hope they don't just roll over. Forcing the rangers to win in Pittsburgh or taking it to a game 7 would be nice. Here's to Friday...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:34 am

It's frustrating because we're there...we're in these games, we're structured and well-intentioned...we might be just a Letang away from a tie series or even a 3-1 lead...the margin is so tight...but Letang is a player that is worth that one-goal swing, so to speak...I'm just frustrated, not disappointed with the team...this is what I expected, HCMJ has us playing the right way, Fleury has been stellar, etc. but we just can't quite reach the gold ring...
pretty much this

FLPensFan

Postby FLPensFan » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:40 am

This pretty much sums it up. They over-extended the defense at the end of the season. What's left of the Pens defense is gassed. Pens need to get a 2-3 goal lead going into the 3rd and hold on for dear life to try and steal another game. I'm disappointed, but can't say with all the injuries this wasn't the expected result with the way they finished the regular season.

Oh...hello! :)

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:42 am

Last night was one of the worst playoff games I've watched from a pace of play standpoint. There was no flow to the game at all. If I didnt have a rooting interest in the game I wouldn't have watch it. Its a true shame Pens win or loss how the NHL product has slipped.

The Pens just cant seem to get the bounces to go their way. Both NYR goals were garbage, my hat goes off to MAF who has played a phenominal series to this point.

This morning I am more frustrated about how the NHL game has evolved than I am the Pens performance.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:43 am

Good to see you over here, FLPF...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:45 am

FLPensFan

Postby FLPensFan » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:50 am

:thumb: Looking forward to talking some hockey and not listening to several broken records stuck on repeat.

tfrizz

Postby tfrizz » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:52 am

The lack of PMDs is killing the Pens. So many blown breakouts, and little threat of generating offense from the blue line means the Rangers can cheat a bit in the defensive zone.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:57 am

It's a shame this team isn't healthy. They're finally playing pretty sound playoff hockey but the horses just aren't there. My opinion of HCMJ has really improved over the last week. Bummer that Fleury's great series may be for nothing.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:58 am

The lack of PMDs is killing the Pens. So many blown breakouts, and little threat of generating offense from the blue line means the Rangers can cheat a bit in the defensive zone.
That and a lack of forecheck. The Rangers aren't giving up the blueline, forcing us to dump it a lot. The Rangers have done a good amount of obstructing us once we dump it in, but we have been a step slow. Kunitz hallmark during the Cup Final runs was his ability to get in on the forecheck, lay a big hit, and turn the puck over. He hasnt been noticable at all on the forecheck. To be honest I cant think of anyone outside of Lapierre and maybe Comeau who have.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:07 am

HCMJ has us playing the right way
it's the competitive way...which is the "right" way, technically. but it's a horror show to watch.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:10 am

That and a lack of forecheck. The Rangers aren't giving up the blueline, forcing us to dump it a lot. The Rangers have done a good amount of obstructing us once we dump it in, but we have been a step slow. Kunitz hallmark during the Cup Final runs was his ability to get in on the forecheck, lay a big hit, and turn the puck over. He hasnt been noticable at all on the forecheck. To be honest I cant think of anyone outside of Lapierre and maybe Comeau who have.
unless you're an animal like hornqvist, you aren't breaking through the constant goal line defense.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:12 am

Meow and mikey summed up my feelings pretty well. I'd add that losing 1-goal games has been a lot more encouraging than getting blown out, and aside from the fact that Sid and Geno will be another year older next year, I'm much more excited about the future of this team than I have been in years. I've been very impressed with HCMJ's coaching, especially in this series. He is not the problem. Next year Adams will be gone, and if GMJR can unload Scuderi and Kunitz by any means possible, we should have a younger and faster team that will be competitive.

I'd also like to see Rossi traded to the Wheeling News-Register for a couple of proofreaders, and the NHL bring in a new set of officials next year, but those are things beyond the control of the Penguins organization.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:27 am

HCMJ has us playing the right way
it's the competitive way...which is the "right" way, technically. but it's a horror show to watch.
Yes, "right way" is coachspeak for defensive...I've never been bored by an NHL game before, but last night is about as close as you can get...even Doc and Pierre, both hockey guys who love and care about the game, were like, "uhhh...so...ya know, this kind of sucks..." it was a game played in a vat of molasses with a sand base...

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:27 am

Its tight in the playoffs, but the better team is wi. Ing despite a pretty outstanding performance from fleury.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:28 am

I'm much more excited about the future of this team than I have been in years
it's not surprising that i lean towards the cynical side here, but i'm very very concerned about the future. i think at this point it will be a surprise if letang can ever make it into a deep playoff run. and we are in serious trouble with our forward depth. sid, geno and hornqvist can excel in today's NHL. we have no one else under contract and no one else in the prospect pool who you can say that about. someone can mention sutter, and that's fine, but he's done after next year. and since he's the only valuable chip we have, it's definitely worth considering a trade

we aren't winning the cup next year. we need to go into the season thinking that way, personnel wise, and treat this like the rebuild it is to try in some way to get some young blood in here.

or we can pay sutter 4.5 million, and use our 15 million in cap space on a couple of alex semin's. with GMJR in charge, i expect the latter.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:28 am

Yeah, the team has the compete, but you can just tell how the goal scoring ability has been sucked away by having no puck movers on the blue line. It hampers offense way more than some give it credit for. When the defense should be

Letang-Maatta
Erhoff-Martin
Pouliot-Cole
x Scuderi, Lovejoy

but two thirds of that isn't even healthy...it's going to have it's effects.

I believe the team is structured, playing, and focused correctly. These aren't losses from lack of effort, which are the only losses I can't stomach. But remember...we were up 3-1 on the Rangers last season. Keep the faith.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:32 am

I'm much more excited about the future of this team than I have been in years
it's not surprising that i lean towards the cynical side here, but i'm very very concerned about the future. i think at this point it will be a surprise if letang can ever make it into a deep playoff run. and we are in serious trouble with our forward depth. sid, geno and hornqvist can excel in today's NHL. we have no one else under contract and no one else in the prospect pool who you can say that about. someone can mention sutter, and that's fine, but he's done after next year. and since he's the only valuable chip we have, it's definitely worth considering a trade

we aren't winning the cup next year. we need to go into the season thinking that way, personnel wise, and treat this like the rebuild it is to try in some way to get some young blood in here.

or we can pay sutter 4.5 million, and use our 15 million in cap space on a couple of alex semin's. with GMJR in charge, i expect the latter.
There just isn't a way to logistically "rebuild" without moving a huge piece. With Letang finally playing to his pay grade, it's hard to want to move him. Combined with his health issues and you probably won't have many takers. But sure, if you can package him and Bennett together and get yourself a McDavid, go for it. The only thing moving a Letang at this point will really bring is cap relief, because Sid and Geno aren't going anywhere.

thehockeyguru

Postby thehockeyguru » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:33 am

Meow and mikey summed up my feelings pretty well. I'd add that losing 1-goal games has been a lot more encouraging than getting blown out, and aside from the fact that Sid and Geno will be another year older next year, I'm much more excited about the future of this team than I have been in years. I've been very impressed with HCMJ's coaching, especially in this series. He is not the problem. Next year Adams will be gone, and if GMJR can unload Scuderi and Kunitz by any means possible, we should have a younger and faster team that will be competitive.

I'd also like to see Rossi traded to the Wheeling News-Register for a couple of proofreaders, and the NHL bring in a new set of officials next year, but those are things beyond the control of the Penguins organization.
Part of me wants to be excited about how close we are, but the fact remains that we arent generating a whole lot of quality chances and the games arent as close as the score. The Rangers a lot of quality scoring chances last night, a lot more than we did. The blue print is out there to beat the Pens, I want to see the Pens adjust to what teams are doing.

We have tried by trading Neal for Hornqvist, but more needs done. Ehrhoff would have been a huge help in my opinion. We need guys like him who can get shots on net when the Rangers pack all 5 guys in around Lundqvist.

The Pens first goal was a result of Domoulin getting a shot from the point through. The game could have been 2-1 if anyone but Scuderi gets the puck on their stick after Hornqvist's drive to the net with seconds remaining in the 3rd.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:33 am

There just isn't a way to logistically "rebuild" without moving a huge piece. With Letang finally playing to his pay grade, it's hard to want to move him. Combined with his health issues and you probably won't have many takers. But sure, if you can package him and Bennett together and get yourself a McDavid, go for it. The only thing moving a Letang at this point will really bring is cap relief, because Sid and Geno aren't going anywhere.
i don't think you can trade players who are on LTIR, so i wouldn't worry about letang going anywhere.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:34 am

it was a game played in a vat of molasses with a sand base...
hah, this is about as accurate a description as it gets.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:35 am

i don't think you can trade players who are on LTIR, so i wouldn't worry about letang going anywhere.
How does that work in the offseason? Genuinely curious. If he was LTIR'd for all the postseason, is his status in the offseason irrelevant for trading purposes?

Faubert5
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - no fan of the Predators

Postby Faubert5 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:36 am

Yeah, the team has the compete, but you can just tell how the goal scoring ability has been sucked away by having no puck movers on the blue line. It hampers offense way more than some give it credit for. When the defense should be

Letang-Maatta
Erhoff-Martin
Pouliot-Cole
x Scuderi, Lovejoy

but two thirds of that isn't even healthy...it's going to have it's effects.

I believe the team is structured, playing, and focused correctly. These aren't losses from lack of effort, which are the only losses I can't stomach. But remember...we were up 3-1 on the Rangers last season. Keep the faith.
This combined with the lack of a power play (which was happening before Letang got hurt) have really killed this team. I do take some consolation in the performance of many of the young defenseman and that we should have some cap relief next year. If one or two young forwards could step up or we get someone in the offseason we might have a chance next year.

Miracles happen and that's what it would take for this team to come back with Letang, Maata, and Dupuis out and Geno running on empty.