2020 Penguins draft review + free agents/trades review

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:44 pm

2nd round (52nd overall): Joel Blomqvist (G) - Karpat U20 (Jr. A - SM-Liiga [top junior league in Finland]) -> Will likely play in top men's league in Finland (Liiga) or second-tier league (Mestis). Jorma Valtonen Award - Best Junior Goalie in 2019-20. Jr. A SM-Liiga First All-Star Team.

Very narrow stance. Quick up and down in and out of the butterfly. Very fluid mover, moves around real easy, real quick and sharp. Doesn't get his feet set for a lot of shots, which isn't really the trend in my eyes...but that's not necessarily a bad thing. He wants to be one of those micro-adjusting goalies. Just gotta be careful with anchoring and setting yourself for second chance opportunities with that. He has a little bit of a tendency to over-slide for me. Real sound butterfly. Rebound control is a plus. Shows some good propensity to get crease depth off of his post-integration. I'm not in love with the glove positioning in his stance, but he makes it work. I'm surprised it's not up a little higher or the fingers aren't up a little higher. Good catch consistency though, he does a good job telescoping it out when appropriate. What a terrific skater. There's some fluidity to his movement that I really like. Like every kid, he needs to get stronger...but I'd really like his core strength to improve. Goalie scout I know gave good marks for his stick positioning and his composure on breakaways. Really improved over the course of the season. Many teams had him as the #2 goalie in the draft class behind Askarov - who is insane. Starter potential.
Last edited by mikey on Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey

2020 Penguins draft review

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:47 pm

3rd round (77th overall): Calle Clang (G) - Rogle BK J20 (J20 SuperElit [top junior league in Sweden]) -> Will likely play in Allsvenskan (second tier Swedish league, very good quality promotion/relegation).

Flashy, wide-stance netminder. Plays deep in his net and likes to throw his body around and make dramatic saves. Has a good amount of holes in his technique. Looks like a goalie that may have been scarred by playing on some porous defensive teams. He moves well, almost too well. He plays with some "fun aggression", has a little bit of young Jarry in him almost. He likes to use his stick in and out of the crease. He communicates with his D. He likes to be active and involved. Glove is perky and fun. He's a bit of a wild card and a real battler, especially as far as Swedes go. You can sense that he wants to be the hero in every game. Long shot for me, but I see the high upside.
Last edited by mikey on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:49 pm

4th round (108th overall): Lukas Svejkovsky (RW) - Medicine Hat (WHL)

Plus skating. He's very slippery when he wants to be. I like his change of direction game. His ability to shake loose, especially behind the net is very nice. It's all finesse though, there's not a lot of body to it, so you have to wonder about his ability to keep possession of the puck. He does flash some hands, particularly in misdirection situations. He has some pre-programmed moves and they're effective at this level. I think he'll need to prove that he's more truly dynamic in terms of read and react plays before I'm sold. The hands are good, but like a glitch in NHL, sometimes when you know something works, you keep going back to the well -- and that's not how you get better. It's the thinnest of hairs to split, but it's so meaningful. Plus shot. He has this toe-drag -> shot combination that is very effective in junior, but also he's a little too comfortable with it. The reptitiveness of that action and what it represents mechanically gives me the impression that he doesn't have a quick enough release. Pucks just have to get off of his stick faster. Very distracted by contact. He uses his arms, hands, and stick to protect himself against even routine contact and it distracts him from the puck in almost every instance. For a skill player, I'd expect better puck control at this age. He loses it in unforced situations too much. Hockey sense is only average, maybe a tick below. I'd like for him to look use his linemates more. I see him out on the right point of the PP sometimes, which is interesting for a RHS. Not much for defense. Doesn't play physical at all. Listed at 5'9", 158 lbs. and that looks about right. Looks like he used to play more center, but there's no chance this is a center at the pro level...hell, I don't think this is a junior center. He takes enough shifts off where it's bothersome, even for a skill guy. Doesn't win loose puck battles regularly. Passing accuracy at 5v5 is something that needs to improve. He would rather go offside than dump a puck in - in some respects, I don't mind that, but in this case I find it to be a little bit of a vision/hockey sense issue. A little too easy to push to the sidelines for me. The skill and skating is interesting, but it's wrapped up in too many traits that scream "good junior player" for me.
Last edited by mikey on Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:51 pm

5th round (149th overall): Raivis Ansons (LW) - Baie-Comeau (QMJHL) -> Will likely play in Latvia's top league this year (not a good league).

I'll level with ya here, while I did have some prior knowledge because he spent time on a line with Legare...I couldn't get through either game I put on of his...I know I made it through most of the Q game, but quit...and then I was gonna forget the whole thing, but I wanted to see the Latvian League game from this year and the first shift actually gave me some hope...then by mid 2nd period, I had to quit again...

It's like, you ever see those gifs or videos of the peewee football team that just throws a screen pass to that 5'10" 200 pound kid who is basically like letting a snow plow out on the bumper car ride...? That's this. Except for Ansons, the kid's shoelaces are tied together...he's a horse, he looks like a big bag of meat out there...but he is not coordinated. He has no puck skills. Passing and pass acceptance aren't there. The shot doesn't do anything for me. He moves around well, but things like weight transfer and what not just aren't there, so it nullifies the impact of his hits. This is not a good player at the QMJHL level, I can't imagine this going well. This is the pinnacle of lazy scouting. Taking one of our prospect's linemates...but it's not like Crosby's Pouliot or whoever...this is like taking Malkin's Nordgren, but even that's a lot of credit here...I'd say if he was more coordinated, try him at defense and see where it goes...he's not dumb, he tries defensively, he PKs...but come on man...just trade the pick for one of the decent players that didn't get QO'd today, don't throw it directly in the trash like this...it's insulting to fans like me, even if you don't owe me that or anything...
Last edited by mikey on Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:53 pm

6th round (170th overall): Chase Yoder (C) - USNTDP (USHL) -> Will likely play at Providence College (NCAA).

Chase Yoder finished up his second season with the USNTDP slightly improving his point totals from his U17 season. He finished this season with 10 goals and 10 assists for 20 points in 47 games. His plus-9 rating in USHL play ended up being one of the best figures on the team. Yoder spent a majority of the season playing in a depth role and as a penalty killer. Yoder is a smart kid who plays a hard-working and honest two-way game. He is strong on his stick and can be relied on to chip pucks out of the zone or win big faceoffs. We really like how advanced his defensive stick play and timing is for this age and caliber of player. He has a stocky build and a low center of gravity that he uses to his advantage to gain leverage and win puck battles all over the ice. Yoder tries to engage physically but he just isn’t overly strong yet, but there is a willingness there. He is an above average skater with decent speed and an increasingly powerful stride. He is a very good penalty killer and really embraced his role, showing a terrific ability to block shots, take away passing lanes, and win puck battles. It’s a little bit of a double-edged sword with Yoder. We’re impressed at him embracing his role as a grinder who does the dirty work. On the flip side, a lot of the time NHL clubs end up with a depth player because they failed as a skill player and now have to recalibrate their sights. Starting at this point on the development curve, doesn’t leave a lot of room for error. While his hands seemed to improve throughout the season, he just can’t reliably beat players at this level. With him whisking off to Providence College in the fall, it may make it tougher for him to tap into a little bit of that offensive upside. It really does look like he has the head for the game to offer a little bit more, but he is also a bit hamstrung by his role and linemates most of the time. His shot is a tick above average and so is his playmaking and passing ability. If he has anything in his bag already, it’s a toe-drag move that he turns into a shooting opportunity, but that’s about the length of his consistent offensive gusto. If his skill continues to develop, he can combine that with his heady two-way play, proper forecheck angling, and compete to widen his window a little bit more in terms of making it as a pro.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:55 pm

We traded the rights to Matt Murray to Ottawa for Jonathan Gruden and 52nd overall. I'll put Gruden details in here too...

We traded 139 to Colorado for 149 and 211. Then traded 211 to Washington for a 7th in 2021.

Jonathan Gruden (LW/RW) - Simple game. Skating really fell off as the year went on, I wonder if there's an injury there. It's not very good anyhow, but it looked prohibitively bad by the end of the year. He's limited in what he can do, but unlike a lot of players, he knows it...so that's nice. He doesn't dick around with the puck, he gets it and moves it. By the end of the year he was playing with McMichael and Foudy, which is a bounty of talent to have on a junior line, so he was just so used to getting it and moving it. I thought his passing was crisp and accurate and he can make a lot of different types of passes with effectiveness. Doesn't really get loose for shots, he just goes to the net and tries to hold court. Because of his skating and his posture, his balance is a little off for me...so it makes it tough for him to really absorb a ton of contact, but also dish it out...he means to grind and play the game the right way as a third wheel on a line, but it's a little tough for him. He had time with Jack Hughes when he was with the NTDP and then Connor McMichael in London - his numbers are a little misleading compared to the product that I see. I guess this is like adding another Judd Caulfield - but smaller, little better with the puck maybe - to the organization...I don't think that was a need, I don't think this is a want, but apparently we didn't have a lot of say in the matter...I don't know, I don't see it working out to be an NHLer, I just can't figure out what he could do for me...I don't know what Sergei Plotnikov looked like when he was 20, but I can't imagine it looked a ton different than this...maybe I had a couple too many drinks trying to watch what's his ass - the Latvian - and it's fogged me up, so I'm just gonna call it here...
Last edited by mikey on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:40 pm

Looking at fan base reaction for the NHL draft drives me insane and this fan base (looking at you r/penguins) is especially infuriating. Anyone who thinks the Pens were going to find a right handed defenseman in the second round to step into the 2021 lineup like a safety from Alabama should lose their right to vote.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:57 pm

It’s BPA always on the nhl. If you draft by position, especially after maybe the 5th overall pick, your an idiot.

The only caveat is if you have two or three stud goalies.

In the pens case, we got nothing so BPAllday

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:14 pm

Thank you for your service mikey

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:36 pm

Ok boys, it's all there...I'm sure I'll collect little tidbits over the next little while...if you need anything else, you know my number...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:58 pm

I’m all about the Ansons pick now.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:20 am

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:37 am

:thumb:

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:07 am

:thumb:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:07 am

Yes, thanks for the overview.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:33 am

Canucks blog had a pre-draft goalie write-up from a few days ago that coincidentally features our first two draft picks of the year. What's very welcome is a very quick bit of footage of Blomqvist: https://canucksarmy.com/2020/10/04/3-go ... nhl-draft/

Apparently the Nucks were trying to trade into the 2nd to ensure they could draft Blomqvist and were pretty disappointed when we took him.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:08 pm

Sorry again for sticking things here, but like I said in my unruly thread of everything, if I'm wrong, I'd like to be able to find it easier...I only save draft stuff to my computer...

So I spent three hard seltzers' worth of time watching Mark Jankowski this evening...I saw him at C and LW, which I really didn't recall in my casual watching...

Here's the thing...it's tough to know where to start here...I guess I'll get the tl;dr people out of the frame early here: I think his best might be the forward version of Marcus Pettersson...

First thing's first: I really don't think this is a third line player in the NHL...at center or wing...I don't think that's where the game is at right now. Maybe in 2009 or 2010, yeah, maybe it's there...maybe in 2002...I don't think it's there now. I talk about this often, about embracing the role...this is a former first round pick, his GM said that he was the best player in the draft or whatever nonsense...so there's this pedigree that comes with that. He's not that. He's gotta embrace the role and he has no idea how.

What is nice: he's not an idiot. I don't think he doesn't understand the game. I just don't think he knows what to do, he has no identity and (hopefully) as a result, he doesn't much drive...he's not intense...the game plays him all day. He doesn't play it. I'm not sure he's played a shift in the league...they've all played him. I believe Matt Cullen is still around, right? This is exactly the type of player that Cullen's little tips and tricks could really, really benefit...he needs help. Development isn't just about playing in the minors...it took him six years or whatever to get to the show and I don't think he's ready...or wasn't when he came in at least...

His skating doesn't do much for me...it's not sharp, he's not strong, he's not anything better than average at skating...I don't really think he's that good of an athlete. You can move off of his spot, you can move him off the puck on the boards, he doesn't hit ya, you can shield him from the net, you can shield him on the forecheck...so he's gotta get stronger, he's gotta get sticky...good defensive players have viscosity...Jordan Staal wouldn't beat shoeshine boy in a foot race, but Staal stuck to you, he stuck to your hip, he stuck to your stick, and you couldn't lose him...that's what made him so good defensively...he's a sticky boy. Jankowski is that kid from the Simpsons that is always working in the fast food places...

I don't think he can handle the puck at this level. It's not even about the deking and all that...I just mean handling it in open space...you look at the window in which he can stickhandle relative to the plain of his shoulders (is that the right plain? Plane? I don't know, maybe I'm in one already, sorry)...it's such a small window. He doesn't handle passes well, he doesn't handle the puck well, the puck poise is low...I think the shot is ok, but he can't get lose to really get it going. It's not a real threat if you can't get to where you need to be to shoot and he's not a player that can score on the rush for me...

His timing is ok...his timing on the rush, his timing on when to pop open in sustained attacks...I think that's actually ok...but if he's in any sort of coverage, you sunk his battleship...

That said, you forget the draft stock and you go: this player signed for league min. Well, yeah, that's what we got. I think he needs to be harder to play against, I think someone has to tell him this is it...I mean that, if he doesn't cash here, it's off to Germany or Switzerland...I don't think he's gonna get a lot of kicks at the can here...he's pretty far off for me...

I will say, I didn't go back and watch any games from his 30 point season...that's a mystery to me as to how that could have possibly happened...but this isn't a third line player for me...offensively or defensively...he needs some help...I hope we give it to him and hope he salvages a career...

offsides

Postby offsides » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:53 pm

Thanks for the good info mikey

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:48 pm

That was a depressing read. Especially given the 30 point season two years ago that was on the heels of a 17 goal season.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:50 am

I guess I saw only games from the 30-point season.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:35 am

Or I'm just not reading the situation well...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:40 am

Well, I saw him maybe three or four times...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:59 am

Sticky boy

brwi

Postby brwi » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:16 am

Thanks for the detailed analysis, mikey. I haven't seen a lot of the guy but the line about how the game plays him instead of him playing the game reminded me of a guy rumored too often to be coming to the Pens, Viktor Rask. Or a guy the Pens had, Galenupchuck. Maybe he'll be decent as a 4th liner but I think I'd rather have seen a more unpleasant guy to play against in that spot.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:12 am

Lukas Svejkovsky is an intriguing prospect.