OFFICIAL GDT: ISLANDERS VS PENS 4/10/15

Faubert5
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - no fan of the Predators

Postby Faubert5 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Kris Letang will not play again for the Penguins this season, “even if we make a deep run in the playoffs,” general manager Jim Rutherford told DKonPittsburghSports.com after tonight’s game at Consol Energy Center.
No Letang means no deep playoff run even if they did get lucky and get in and on a roll. He is way too important to this team. Just let this season be over already yeesh.
But the playoffs would still be such a good experience for our young playe-oh wait
If we do make the playoffs I wouldn't be surprised to see a WBS guy make the roster.

offsides

Postby offsides » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:45 pm

I'm inclined to believe DK, that MJ is not going anywhere.
Regardless of what happens, I don't think ownership has any desire to be paying three coaches next season.
Good point that I completely agree with.

Faubert5

Postby Faubert5 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:46 pm

Regardless of what happens, I don't think ownership has any desire to be paying three coaches next season.
Good point that I completely agree with.
I could see some new assistants but that's about it.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:52 pm

Kris Letang will not play again for the Penguins this season, “even if we make a deep run in the playoffs,” general manager Jim Rutherford told DKonPittsburghSports.com after tonight’s game at Consol Energy Center.
No Letang means no deep playoff run even if they did get lucky and get in and on a roll. He is way too important to this team. Just let this season be over already yeesh.
But the playoffs would still be such a good experience for our young playe-oh wait
If we do make the playoffs I wouldn't be surprised to see a WBS guy make the roster.
Well Harrington or dumoulin is a sure bet I think. On forward, nah. Adams will dress before anyone from WBS. And I'd hate to see someone like kapanen bust his cherry in such a toxic situation.

Sarcastic

Postby Sarcastic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:52 pm

It'd be kinda embarrassing for the org. to fire a coach of their choice after 1 season, no?

Having said that, 3 recent moves showed me he might not be the right guy for the job. He played Greiss instead of Fleury in a critical game vs Flyers. Then had Kunitz out in the last seconds of a game vs whoever that was, when a better defensive player should have been out there - they scored and we lost the game. And had Sutter take 2 crucial faceoffs when other guys were doing better on the night (I think he only won 5 of 12) and lost both. I think that was vs Ottawa, but my short term memory doesn't work so well. You get the idea. I've had a problem with his bench management for a while now. I think he's a talented coach and maybe he can do a better job with a different team or once he gets some experience at the NHL level, but right now I think it's too much for him. To be fair, it must be hard to coach with all the injuries, but the right players should be on the ice at the right time. I am not that happy with him.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:58 pm

Game was blacked out on Gamecenter since it was on NHL Network so the control room missed out on being entertained by my frustration. Doesn't look like I missed all that much. I'm eerily not all that upset about the proceedings. I decided after the playoff choke last year that I wasn't going to get too worked up about regular season games again because it just wasn't worth raising the blood pressure for them. I could see back in late December/early January that this team just didn't have it against teams from their division and as it turns out, most of the good teams in the Eastern Conference. That being said, it's inexcusable that they've gotten to this point even with the injuries. It goes back to playing all 60 minutes. They haven't played all 60 since the west coast trip and it's going to end up costing them.

That being said, if Tampa wins and Montreal loses and the Sens lose and we win, we play the Lightning, right? I have off all next week...hmmmmm

cma3585

Postby cma3585 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:23 pm

Well Harrington or dumoulin is a sure bet I think. On forward, nah. Adams will dress before anyone from WBS. And I'd hate to see someone like kapanen bust his cherry in such a toxic situation.
Unless Adams got hurt...he played 35 SECONDS tonight. So I think Bennett and at this point any AHL scrub like Rust or Farnham the team views as more valuable.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:29 pm

I honestly expect both Harrington and Dumoulin to get called up, but I don't think Chorney has played bad at all during his emergency recall. As for forwards, these team desperately needs speed and agitation. It needs Bobby Farnham.

bhflyhigh

Postby bhflyhigh » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:41 pm

What else could HCMJ have done this game that he didn't? The Pens played great. Sid played like the Sid of yesteryear. No one could take the puck from him and no one could catch him. Malkin was pretty good as well. They just don't have guys that can make good on their chances. I agree with the poster that mentioned that all the zone time and pressure is wasted because we don't have guys that can bury the puck. Halak was on. Not taking anything away from him. He was in position and ready for almost every shot we took. We gave up a back breaker on the power play (Tochet runs that, right?) I just don't see how to pin this loss or this season on HCMJ.

Sarcastic

Postby Sarcastic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:59 pm

What else could HCMJ have done this game that he didn't? The Pens played great. Sid played like the Sid of yesteryear. No one could take the puck from him and no one could catch him. Malkin was pretty good as well. They just don't have guys that can make good on their chances. I agree with the poster that mentioned that all the zone time and pressure is wasted because we don't have guys that can bury the puck. Halak was on. Not taking anything away from him. He was in position and ready for almost every shot we took. We gave up a back breaker on the power play (Tochet runs that, right?) I just don't see how to pin this loss or this season on HCMJ.
It's a combination of everything, mostly a bad roster.

Bioshock

Postby Bioshock » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:12 am

When Pouliot was hurt Tuesday in Ottawa, the Penguins desperately wanted to demote him and replace him with another defenseman — the most obvious move imaginable — the NHL told them they couldn’t. First, the league explained that Pouliot couldn’t be sent down because he was hurt, which makes no sense given that he hasn’t been placed on injured reserve. Then, the league came back with yet another one of those vague, unpublished CBA explanations — I wrote about this silliness last week — that accused the Penguins of wanting to demote Pouliot strictly to circumvent the cap. That’s considered a no-no, but it’s not laid out in black and white anywhere, and the league apparently has carte blanche to interpret any such matter any way they please.

As a result, the local hockey team played for its playoff life last night with four NHL defenseman plus emergency recall Taylor Chorney because … um … well … even they don’t know.

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:18 am

Wtf?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:07 am

I couldn't watch the game but I assume it went something like: Pens outplayed the Isles, Isles got a stretch of chances and made good on them and the Pens couldn't score because *insert goalie* (Halak in this case) was playing the best game of his season

Man, I haven't felt this apathetic towards the team in a while. We don't deserve to beat the Sabres tomorrow

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:19 am

I agree with the poster that mentioned that all the zone time and pressure is wasted because we don't have guys that can bury the puck.
Fun Fact: the best puck-possession team in the NHL this year did not make the playoffs.

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:23 am

When Pouliot was hurt Tuesday in Ottawa, the Penguins desperately wanted to demote him and replace him with another defenseman — the most obvious move imaginable — the NHL told them they couldn’t. First, the league explained that Pouliot couldn’t be sent down because he was hurt, which makes no sense given that he hasn’t been placed on injured reserve. Then, the league came back with yet another one of those vague, unpublished CBA explanations — I wrote about this silliness last week — that accused the Penguins of wanting to demote Pouliot strictly to circumvent the cap. That’s considered a no-no, but it’s not laid out in black and white anywhere, and the league apparently has carte blanche to interpret any such matter any way they please.

As a result, the local hockey team played for its playoff life last night with four NHL defenseman plus emergency recall Taylor Chorney because … um … well … even they don’t know.
The league pulls this one, yet allows the Pronger crap. Garage league.

Faubert5

Postby Faubert5 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:17 pm

I honestly expect both Harrington and Dumoulin to get called up, but I don't think Chorney has played bad at all during his emergency recall. As for forwards, these team desperately needs speed and agitation. It needs Bobby Farnham.
I think this is a good situation to get a young guy some time. Zero expectations given the black holes that we have on many spots on our top three lines.