Brooks Orpik

doublewinder

Brooks Orpik

Postby doublewinder » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:49 pm

Confused.
Everybody in PIT couldn't wait for him to leave after last season; despite scoring some big goals, he was bashed for being a pylon cone.

Do we miss him?
How has he done in Washington, stats appear to show he's been a top 4...so WTF...how is that possible given all the flack he took last season?

thehockeyguru

Brooks Orpik

Postby thehockeyguru » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:51 pm

Confused.
Everybody in PIT couldn't wait for him to leave after last season; despite scoring some big goals, he was bashed for being a pylon cone.

Do we miss him?
How has he done in Washington, stats appear to show he's been a top 4...so WTF...how is that possible given all the flack he took last season?
He signed a deal the Pens couldnt and shouldnt have matched. I dont know what you are getting at.

skullman80

Brooks Orpik

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:54 pm

The contract he got was absurd. I mean good for him that he cashed out, but no way for that money.

Faubert5
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - no fan of the Predators

Brooks Orpik

Postby Faubert5 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:00 pm

By the end of that contract we'll be glad we didn't do it and without the rash of injuries probably wouldn't be talking about it.

DigitalGypsy66

Brooks Orpik

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:13 pm

With the Pens GM team's record, I'm sure they'll trade Harrington for him in a year or two. :lol:

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Brooks Orpik

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:15 pm

He scored some big goals? As in one? That I remember correctly deflected off an Islander or two before going in?

Silentom

Brooks Orpik

Postby Silentom » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:17 pm

All I miss about Brooksie is the stare. Other than that it was time for both parties to walk their separate ways.

Morkle

Brooks Orpik

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:29 pm

I never cared for Brooks. He was the king at committing penalties and crying about it.

tifosi77

Brooks Orpik

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:37 pm

I think the team does miss him, but I feel that Washington was almost trolling Pens fans with that absurd contract offer. Good on him, I don't begrudge him his riches. But that was a stupid contract.

King Colby

Brooks Orpik

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:45 pm

I think they trolled their own fans with that one. Awful.

mikey

Brooks Orpik

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:47 pm

Still not a good contract, but he's playing well over there for sure. We were right to let him walk...

That said, our fanbase and others, are always of the "grass is always greener" mentality...because we over-analyze every second of 82 games, while most of us only hear about how other teams and players play...their faults aren't magnified for us like ours are...that's why people like myself don't get into a panic about a lot of things because I know how other teams conduct their business...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Brooks Orpik

Postby meow » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:49 pm

I never cared for Brooks. He was the king at committing penalties and crying about it.
He should have thanked the ref.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Brooks Orpik

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:50 pm

Were seeing where loyalty to aging, declining players ring offered more money than the pens can afford to give out gets you in Kunitz Dupuis and Scuderi

darkstar57

Brooks Orpik

Postby darkstar57 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:01 pm

He also is playing for a defensive minded coached in Trotz and not having to make 50 foot break out passes out of his zone.

I figured he has 1-2 good years left him under a defensive coach, but he'll tail off significantly towards the end of the contract

Staggy

Brooks Orpik

Postby Staggy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:02 pm

I would have loved to have Brooks here for this year. He'll probably be pretty decent next year as well. But that contract will be an albatross in a few years and there's no way we should have given it to him. A 2 year ~$10 million offer was about all I would have been in favor of offering and obviously no way he would or should accept that.

Pavel Bure

Brooks Orpik

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:15 pm

Confused.

Do we miss him?
Know what I miss? Those multi-colored snow ones at the circus. Yeah they were usually hard as rocks and quite frankly not that good but the joy of getting mom to buy one was awesome. Yeah about one bite of them would be good and then they'd turn into that weird freezer burn slush but man the monkey in the tree decided he didn't like ground dwellers. He started throwing coconuts at them and laughing. The ground dwellers bided their time for the monkey would soon run out of fruit to throw and he would get thirsty. He came down from his tree and bent over to drink from the pool is warm this time of year. I mean yeah it's still early spring but it has a heater, who wouldn't love that? It might as well be a bath. All you have to do is sit in it and glide around. So relaxing you start to feel your eyes on the prize of hockey. Look the Stanley cup is important and I think Brooks Orpik understands that.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Brooks Orpik

Postby LITT » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:25 pm

Brooks OrPECK

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Brooks Orpik

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:00 pm

Cardboard Brooks resigned here for a discount at least

Tico Rick

Brooks Orpik

Postby Tico Rick » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:06 pm

By the end of that contract we'll be glad we didn't do it and without the rash of injuries probably wouldn't be talking about it.
We could have used his veteran leadership this year, and the Caps are now benefiting from it, but in a couple of years that contract will be a dead weight that drags down the Caps.

Tico Rick

Brooks Orpik

Postby Tico Rick » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:25 pm

Yep. We could have used his veteran leadership this year, and the Caps are now benefiting from it, but in a couple of years that contract will be a dead weight that drags down the Caps.
Last edited by Tico Rick on Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wallflower

Brooks Orpik

Postby wallflower » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:52 pm

Aw, he was my favorite. :(

I think they could've actually used his leadership this season but that deal...geez oh man.

doublewinder

Brooks Orpik

Postby doublewinder » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:57 pm

I guess my questions are:

-Was he top 4 defenseman last season(s) for us or trsh?
-Is he playing well this season...and WHY if he did suck the past few years for us did he suddenly turn around?

mikey

Brooks Orpik

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:01 pm

- top 4
- Yes, coaching/system, change of scenery.

Avyran

Brooks Orpik

Postby Avyran » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:02 pm

I guess my questions are:

-Was he top 4 defenseman last season(s) for us or trsh?
-Is he playing well this season...and WHY if he did suck the past few years for us did he suddenly turn around?
He played top 4 minutes for us, yeah. Our top 4 was Letang, Martin, Niskanen, & Orpik. However, that does not mean he was good. Bylsma's system needed lots of movement & puck skills from the defense: something Orpik does not have in great numbers. It's the same reason why Scuderi looked absolutely abysmal. Bylsma did not really adjust his system to meet the players; he assumed the players would play his system.

Because of this, he is playing better this year. Trotz does not require nearly as much from the defense in his system at Washington. He is also alongside John Carlson, a very, very good defender in his own right. In this system, Oprik can do what he is good at - play defense. Combine that with the lax rules meaning clutch & grab is more viable (which Orpik somewhat needs now), and everything's sorta working out for him. The Caps are not trying to ask more than Orpik is capable of, and it makes him appear much better.

As for the contract... ask the Caps again in 2-3 years if it's a good contract or not.

doublewinder

Brooks Orpik

Postby doublewinder » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:52 pm

So basically Orpik was a bad top 4 last year, but a solid top 4 this season due to coaching and obstruction.
Got it.

So we don't really miss Orpik from last season.
What about Nisky?