Expansion Draft

columbia

Expansion Draft

Postby columbia » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:20 am

I'll sign on for that luncheon

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Expansion Draft

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:21 am

I'm still hoping that Vegas takes Luongo. :pop:
That'd be awesome... then we could trade Fleury and actually get something for him.
its my understanding that maf waived his nmc soley to be moved to vegas in the expansion draft and the nmc goes with him there?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Expansion Draft

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:23 am

That'd be awesome... then we could trade Fleury and actually get something for him.
its my understanding that maf waived his nmc soley to be moved to vegas in the expansion draft and the nmc goes with him there?
Have there been any interviews with him about waiving the NMC? I'm just curious if he wants to be "the guy" again somewhere and he knows it won't happen here. He's been fantastic throughout this transition, but now I think the transition is done and he's ready to move on.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Expansion Draft

Postby meow » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:36 am

Would it though? because then we'd lose dumo or cole or hornqvist

oh yeah and that reminds me

@meow you still want Vegas to take Hornqvist?

middlefinger.gif
The dude can't even keep his finger from getting broken!!

For reals though, I don't want him taken or gone. Quite the opposite. He's hugely important to the team, but I am concerned with his body literally falling apart at any time and have a cartoon cloud filled with brooms and dust pans roll in to sweep him up.

Pavel Bure

Expansion Draft

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:39 am

Would it though? because then we'd lose dumo or cole or hornqvist

oh yeah and that reminds me

@meow you still want Vegas to take Hornqvist?

middlefinger.gif
The dude can't even keep his finger from getting broken!!

For reals though, I don't want him taken or gone. Quite the opposite. He's hugely important to the team, but I am concerned with his body literally falling apart at any time and have a cartoon cloud filled with brooms and dust pans roll in to sweep him up.
Similar to Kunitz

Pavel Bure

Expansion Draft

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:41 am

Isn't Schultz an UFA?

Factorial

Expansion Draft

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:45 am

No.

Dickie Dunn

Expansion Draft

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:50 am

Even if Horny was being held together by duct tape he would finish out the season.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Expansion Draft

Postby meow » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Even if Horny was being held together by duct tape he would finish out the season.
He would, but at that point is he more or less effective than say, a Hagelin who was left unprotected instead and drafted?

Jim

Expansion Draft

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:04 pm

I think I understand all the expansion draft rules, but I can't seem to find if LV drafting a pending UFA counts as that team's 1 player lost.

LV picks Cullen, does that satisfy PITs one player drafted since we technically still own his rights.
Yes, but it would be very stupid for them to do that without signing him first (during their 48 hour FA period).

Jim

Expansion Draft

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Oh. Well if Jim said it, it has to be true
Lol was gonna say that
If you finally accept that in your heart, things will be easier for you...

willeyeam

Expansion Draft

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:09 pm

but seriously do you have a link

Jim

Expansion Draft

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:10 pm

If the alternatives are Bernier and Khudobin tier players...I definitely take Fleury. He's a THREE TIME cup winner and one of the best personalities in hockey period. The Last Vegas Flamingos are going to struggle regardless so why grab a marginally better goalie and sacrifice marketability?

Maybe it's not the best hockey move but it's easily the best business move
One thing that people need to understand also is that LV needs to get to the cap floor. Picking all young players on entry level deals like Grubauer might sound good, but won't work cap wise.

It's another reason they will likely take Fleury and even guys like Phaneuf.

Plus like what was said earlier, you need at least some stars. Fleury is a three time champ...that is a lot when it comes to marketing
I have done the draft probably a dozen times and I have never had any issue with the cap. There will be plenty of decent players with mid-to-high $ contracts available, especially on D.

Dickie Dunn

Expansion Draft

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:19 pm

He would, but at that point is he more or less effective than say, a Hagelin who was left unprotected instead and drafted?
That's an interesting question. Horny is signed for one more year at $4.25mm; Hagelin two more at $4.00mm. Hornqvist is your most physical forward, one of your best shot blockers, a net front presence on the PP, has good hands around the net, and is typically a lock to get you 20+ dirty goals a season. Hagelin is likely your fastest forward, one of your top penalty killers, has no hands anywhere on the ice, and is a complete crapshoot for 15 goals or 5 goals.

So I guess the question ended up being less interesting that I thought. Hornqvist every day of the week. You already get better production and similar speed from Rust, who saw his PK time double in the postseason. There's no one on this roster like Hornqvist. Other than the lights out speed Hagelin is the easier player to replace. Even an injured or less effective Hornqvist gives you physical play, defensive responsibility, a net front presence, and a willingness to score goals by letting the puck bounce off his face into the net.

dodint

Expansion Draft

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:22 pm

I'd be really happy if Hagelin got picked. I like him, no issue there. But his game seems to be speed based and he's 28. What's left when the speed goes? Hair?

columbia

Expansion Draft

Postby columbia » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Hypothetical:

Fleury is available in the expansion draft and Rutherford - per deal with GMGM - also exposes one of Dumo, Schultz and Cole. Basically whichever of the 3, that GMGM wants.

Pens either retain Fleury (my hope) or ship him to a team of his choice.

mikey

Expansion Draft

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Plus, he has less term. I like having flexibility when it comes to non-core pieces.

If I'm Vegas, I'm not just drafting a team...some of these guys I'm drafting are for the assets. Ian Cole, Patric Hornqvist...that's easily a 2nd round pick at the deadline for me...easy. Oskar Sundqvist won't make the team and he'll end up on waivers and he has no trade value...why go there?

Not every piece is going to suit up for the club, you have to think about long-term success. That's why I'm not going to go nutty for goalies...you're gonna lose 60 games the first year. You get some upside "plus" goaltenders that don't have a lot of term or money and you see if you can keep games close heading into the 3rd at home...that's all.

I wouldn't go crazy trying to compete in year 2. I'd be thinking medium/long-term here...you can't trade everyone, but we're not the only team that is getting a player taken from it. That's why it's tough to look at 1/30th of the puzzle and go "well...here's what they're going to do, because this is our best player available" ...don't work like that...
Last edited by mikey on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey

Expansion Draft

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:25 pm

I'd be really happy if Hagelin got picked. I like him, no issue there. But his game seems to be speed based and he's 28. What's left when the speed goes? Hair?
That ******* visor... :evil:

Jim

Expansion Draft

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Hypothetical:

Fleury is available in the expansion draft and Rutherford - per deal with GMGM - also exposes one of Dumo, Schultz and Cole. Basically whichever of the 3, that GMGM wants.

The penguins will be exposing two of Dumoulin, Schultz and Cole.

columbia

Expansion Draft

Postby columbia » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Hypothetical:

ok....

TheHammer24

Expansion Draft

Postby TheHammer24 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Hypothetical:

Not necessarily, and I think that it's unlikely. You expose Hornqvist and protect 87, 17, 71, 81, 58, 3, 4, 8.

Dickie Dunn

Expansion Draft

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:35 pm

Nope that's stupid.

Jim

Expansion Draft

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:35 pm

...you're gonna lose 60 games the first year. ...
I think that there is a good chance that Vegas can put together a rather decent team right out of the box. Not a contender, but a team that could vie for a playoff spot. Going in expecting 60 losses is not the right mindset... that's Pirate fan mindset; "We are rebuilding" Go in thinking that we are drafting for this year and next... and let year 3 onward take care of itself. You establish that you mean business on the ice, you take care of your players off of the ice... FAs will sign in the coming years and replace anything that you might lose.

mikey

Expansion Draft

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:36 pm

If they're within 20 points of a playoff spot, I'll buy you a Coke...

Jim

Expansion Draft

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Hypothetical:

Not necessarily, and I think that it's unlikely. You expose Hornqvist and protect 87, 17, 71, 81, 58, 3, 4, 8.
I strongly feel that if the Pens wanted to pay Schultz what "he" is asking for then he would already be signed.

... or, as Vegas would get to talk to him before the draft maybe Schultz is simply going to say "I have zero desire to play for Vegas and will not sign with you" forcing Vegas to opt elsewhere on the Pens exposure list. (they could still draft him for the RFA comp though)

... or, Schultz is basically the exact opposite of the kind of defenseman that Vegas will be looking for so is in no real danger of being picked.