Meow's Morning Meeting - 4-1-15 vs. PHI

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:49 am

Come on in and have a seat. So...where should we begin? Let's start with what little positives there were. Fleury played well early on. Can't really fault him for any of the goals. The centers did well in the dot. Rob Scuderi was great on the PK despite being a dash 2 at ES.

Ok, enough trying to find some good points about the game. Time for the bad. Everything else was bad. The compete level, bad. The discipline, bad. Puck support, bad. Top six, bad. Bottom six, bad. I normally don't single individual players out - how bad is Blake Comeau playing right now. I know Kunitz is the easy target currently, but Comeau is on a whole different level of suck at the moment. If I went back and rewatched the game, I'd be hard pressed to find one positive play from Comeau.

You'd think with only having 5 D, the forwards would put on their work books and help out in the trenches a bit more, but the opposite happened last night. You have to give credit to the Flyers :shudders: because they have the mojo to beat the Pens consistently.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:59 am

Sid and Fleury looked good. That is all. I turned this one off and went to bed with 10 left. I really had high hopes going into the game and even more so after Sid scored. After that it was just a hot mess.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:00 am

You'd think with only having 5 D, the forwards would put on their work books and help out in the trenches a bit more, but the opposite happened last night. You have to give credit to the Flyers :shudders: because they have the mojo to beat the Pens consistently.
After the game, HCMJ called out the forwards for not carrying their weight.
Last edited by llipgh2 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:00 am

They played like garbage except for the first 10 minutes of the game. Is it being tired? Is it injuries? I don't know, but it was bad whatever it was. Work ethic was low, the only bright side was no one got seriously hurt in a game against a flyers team that is officially out of the playoffs.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:11 am

After the game, HCMJ called out the forwards for not carrying their weight.
Good. They should be embarrassed for leaving their D and goaltender out to dry.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:14 am

Yeah, the first 10 minutes were good. Good home start in a rivalry game. Some push back from Philadelphia, but overall not a bad first at all. Early second, things were still ok...both teams really clogging up the area around each net...and then a couple of goals and we really got down on ourselves...and then the 3rd period was largely a waste, outside of about three or four shifts...

Disappointing that there wasn't more will in the last half of the game...

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:20 am

Side question-since Malkin missed the game last night, can the Pens call up a player under the "emergency basis" rule? Does it have to be a forward, or can it be a defenseman?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:49 am

letang and malkin are extremely important, so i'm not going to make too many judgements about this one.

but i'll say this...when our top guys aren't making an impact, the rest of the team shuts down. this is a pretty consistent phenomenon. i don't think you want the top and bottom of the lineup to share a brain like that. maybe there needs to be a kind of "captain" of that group who can pull everyone up by their boot straps. sutter actually seems to be more spunky lately...maybe he's priming himself for that role. but like almost everyone else, he only played for 10 minutes last night.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:54 am

Side question-since Malkin missed the game last night, can the Pens call up a player under the "emergency basis" rule? Does it have to be a forward, or can it be a defenseman?
Any skater. So, to answer directly, it can be a defenseman. Provided he makes under $650,000.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:54 am

Therriensoff.youtube

darkstar57

Postby darkstar57 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:13 am

Any skater. So, to answer directly, it can be a defenseman. Provided he makes under $650,000.
Good god, it can't be...

Thats Taylor Chorney's music

Que glass smach and enter Chorney

Sorry was watching some old WWE this morning with my nephew

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:15 am

The hopeless optimistic words: Pens played well in first 10 minutes. Pens are also not the only team slumping, but instead Detroit & the Isles are both 3-7 in their last time also.

The actual thoughts I had: They absolutely sucked last night. I don't care about losing to a better team. I do care about being outworked by an inferior team, and that did happen. And then it's the same sorry excuse after every game: "We got outworked, blah blah blah."

The Pens advertising that playoff tickets go on sale today immediately after that loss is not the best time. :P Ditto to NBC advertising a Philly-only talk show. NBC's broadcast as a whole was trash again outside of Bob McKenzie during the intermission.

darkstar57

Postby darkstar57 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:22 am

One positive i like out of this game is the Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist line

Winnik and Hornqvist just create havoc in the offensive zone, the tie up opposing players in the offensive zone and give more time to crosby. On Crosby's goal, both where in front of the net, they also work the boards very well

Move Perron to Geno's line with Comeau and slide Kunitz down to play with sutter

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:31 am

I was at the Vancouver game and Flyers game where the Pens got turned inside out. Felt like money wasted this time actually.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:53 am

Zero chance that i'd pay to see them play any divisional opponent right now, except maybe Columbus. Definitely not Philly.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:09 am

Thanks, this is the piece I was missing.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:21 am

letang and malkin are extremely important, so i'm not going to make too many judgements about this one.

but i'll say this...when our top guys aren't making an impact, the rest of the team shuts down. this is a pretty consistent phenomenon. i don't think you want the top and bottom of the lineup to share a brain like that. maybe there needs to be a kind of "captain" of that group who can pull everyone up by their boot straps. sutter actually seems to be more spunky lately...maybe he's priming himself for that role. but like almost everyone else, he only played for 10 minutes last night.
Yeah, this kind of goes to the persistent passenger theme. This team has a bunch of guys who meet the basic requirements for their roles, but lack the physical or psychological ability to step up and do more than the bare minimum when the stars are injured/negated. You could see Pouliot trying to do this last night--trying to shoot more and take control of the PP--but who else?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:36 am

Yeah, this kind of goes to the persistent passenger theme. This team has a bunch of guys who meet the basic requirements for their roles, but lack the physical or psychological ability to step up and do more than the bare minimum when the stars are injured/negated. You could see Pouliot trying to do this last night--trying to shoot more and take control of the PP--but who else?
it's weird, though...if you look at the players individually, other than Bennett, they've all played their parts appropriately. the sum of the parts is worse than it should be.

Pitts

Postby Pitts » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:49 am

They played like garbage except for the first 10 minutes of the game. Is it being tired? Is it injuries? I don't know, but it was bad whatever it was. .
I thought about this as well, but at this time of year, it should not matter! You can't have those excuses in the playoffs, so why have them now with only 5 games left in the season??? Get your **** together Penguins! Or it's one and done this spring.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:09 pm

it's weird, though...if you look at the players individually, other than Bennett, they've all played their parts appropriately. the sum of the parts is worse than it should be.
That's kind the problem as I see it. They've all pretty much played their parts as expected, but when the time has come for someone to step up and do more than play his expected part, it just hasn't happened for the most part (maybe Comeau earlier in the season). During the Cup run, there were obviously players who did this--Talbot, Staal, Kennedy, Scuderi, heck, even Satan in his own small way. This team just doesn't seem to have that collectively or individually.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:12 pm

Either that, or they're saving it for the playoffs.

Would need to be some hell of a switch flip, though.

Faubert5
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - no fan of the Predators

Postby Faubert5 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:29 pm

One positive i like out of this game is the Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist line

Winnik and Hornqvist just create havoc in the offensive zone, the tie up opposing players in the offensive zone and give more time to crosby. On Crosby's goal, both where in front of the net, they also work the boards very well

Move Perron to Geno's line with Comeau and slide Kunitz down to play with sutter
As much as I agree with it I don't believe that Kunitz will be removed from the power play or the first two lines for any reason other than a season ending injury.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:39 pm

I wish they'd give Bennett a 2nd line shot the rest of the regular season... what's the worst that could happen, losing to a non-playoff team? Wouldn't want that!

I'm cool with Winnik on sid's line, but put Perron and Bennett with Malkin and Kunitz and Comeau with Sutter.

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Another loss by more than 2 goals, and to another supposedly inferior team. Still sour about this. I think it also wiped out the slight optimism I had after the SJ game.

This team is declining going into the playoffs, if it even makes it in. These kinds of teams generally lose fast in the playoffs, and people afterwards generally say "not surprised, since they were declining heading into the playoffs."

I still hope that I'm wildly off base here.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:46 pm

This team is declining going into the playoffs, if it even makes it in. These kinds of teams generally lose fast in the playoffs, and people afterwards generally say "not surprised, since they were declining heading into the playoffs.
The Islanders (who are more or less guaranteed to be our opponent) have the same record we do over their last 10 (3-6-1).

With the way BOTH teams are going, anything can happen in the 1st round.