mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri May 07, 2021 9:08 am

Boston does not scare me. They can’t consistently score. Their play is wonky as a whole.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 07, 2021 9:13 am

I just hate how the Penguins play in Boston. Rask seems to just take games over when he gets going.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 07, 2021 9:17 am

If we lose to the bruins, ok. Like, not great but better than losing to Isles and/or Caps. I don't think that team is really that dislikable anymore. Despite Marchand. I actually think Chara and Krug bothered me a lot more in recent years.

...but we shouldn't be losing to the Bruins

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 07, 2021 9:27 am

The Bruins with Hall have been pretty good...I think I'd rather take on the Isles, narrowly...

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri May 07, 2021 9:30 am

Right, we shouldn't lose to the Bruins but it's one of those things. Bruins, Canadiens, Islanders all seem to give the Penguins a hard time in the playoffs no matter what the situation is. Kind of like how the Penguins own the Capitals.

The Bruins have one great line and great defense/goaltending. IMO if you find a way to beat up on the defense/goaltending aspect, no way their top line will make up for it.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 am

Caps play the Flyers twice and the Bruins once. If we beat the Sabres on Saturday, the Caps only have to lose once (in regulation) and we have the top seed. I think that's likely to happen

maybe I'm going to regret this but I'd much rather play the Isles than the other two

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:37 am

I want home ice throughout.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri May 07, 2021 9:40 am

By my calculations which could be wrong-

Beat Buffalo tomorrow and Boston can't finish ahead of us, we'd own RW tiebreaker. So win that and we get home ice first round.

Caps tiebreakers are way more complicated but I think the bottom line is if Philly at least takes them to OT once and Boston beats them on Tuesday we win the division. Unfortunately Caps control their own destiny and Bruins could be locked into their playoff position by Tuesday's game and resting players.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 07, 2021 9:44 am

Beat Buffalo tomorrow and Boston can't finish ahead of us, we'd own RW tiebreaker. So win that and we get home ice first round.

Caps tiebreakers are way more complicated but I think the bottom line is if Philly at least takes them to OT once and Boston beats them on Tuesday we win the division. Unfortunately Caps control their own destiny and Bruins could be locked into their playoff position by Tuesday's game and resting players.
I think we have a higher seed than the Caps if they lose in OT twice or in regulation once. If we win Saturday we'll have 37 ROW and the Caps currently have 34 with 3 left so if we end up tying in points we'll have the tiebreak there

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Fri May 07, 2021 9:46 am

It was implied if we resigned him before the draft.
Seems like it would be wise to wait to re-sign anyone until after the draft so that you don't need to expose them. Have a deal in place and sign it during the week between the draft and the start of free agency.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri May 07, 2021 9:52 am

I think Caps tiebreaker is straight forward assuming Pens get a ROW vs Buffalo tomorrow. Caps would have to get 5 of 6 in the remaining games to overtake us. A tie with us getting the ROW tomorrow gives Pens the division.

Magic number is 4 (with ROW) to win division. Only way Boston is locked into anything is if Caps take all 4 points vs Philly. Otherwise Boston will have at least home ice to play for assuming they don't drop any points in their games.

meow

Postby meow » Fri May 07, 2021 9:53 am

I think Ceci earned himself a juicy deal that some other team is going to pick up the bill for.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri May 07, 2021 9:58 am

I think we have a higher seed than the Caps if they lose in OT twice or in regulation once. If we win Saturday we'll have 37 ROW and the Caps currently have 34 with 3 left so if we end up tying in points we'll have the tiebreak there
First tiebreaker is RW though, then ROW, no? RW is tied now so Pens need a regulation win over Buffalo then in a tie need Caps to have only two points come in a regulation win. If it is tied in RW then Pens would either win in ROW or be tied in ROW and win on total wins, or be tied there and win head to head.

Sucks because they have done so well head to head, but I get the league wants to emphasize regulation wins.

Tiebreakers at the bottom of this page in a drop down https://www.nhl.com/standings/2020/division

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri May 07, 2021 10:00 am

That's what I get for going to ESPN to get my standings when they don't have RW listed. I take back everything I said.

Prepare for the Bruins.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 07, 2021 10:01 am

ah didn't realize it was RW before ROW

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:02 am

Boston was the one team I didn't really want to face in round 1, but if we want to win the Cup, we have to beat better teams than them.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 07, 2021 10:05 am

I fear Boston because they're going to play a very defensive series and it's going to slow us way down. Rask could end up stealing the series

I don't think the Isles have enough skill and the Caps are a bunch of dodints

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri May 07, 2021 10:07 am

**** Boston

**** Washington

**** the Islanders

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri May 07, 2021 10:11 am

**** Boston

**** Washington

**** the Islanders
And if they have any relatives in Cleveland **** them too

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri May 07, 2021 10:21 am

**** Boston

**** Washington

**** the Islanders
And if they have any relatives in Cleveland **** them too
EXACKLY

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 07, 2021 10:27 am

Tanev's contract, today, is a bargain. No use planning around a theoretical decline.

High character physical player on multi year deal is what an expansion team should be looking for. I'd be more worried about him being scooped up than Bleuger.
The length of Tanev's contract makes me think Seattle would not take him. I could see them being interested in Matheson or Zucker, for one, they have to take some money on, and those guys ~appear like they can occupy top 4 or top 6 spots on a team right now. I'm sure every team has an attractive looking role player that they'll have to expose in this draft, it's going to be hardest for Seattle to fill those prime roster spots.

meow

Postby meow » Fri May 07, 2021 10:33 am

If Tanev is exposed, he will be taken. He’s the perfect player to be Seattle’s first captain.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 07, 2021 10:47 am

did they come out with the parameters of the expansion draft yet? will anything about it be different than the Vegas one?

I'd be surprised if it was the same just with how successful Vegas is. I'm guessing the owners are annoyed that Vegas is so good immediately

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 am

Boston was the one team I didn't really want to face in round 1, but if we want to win the Cup, we have to beat better teams than them.
I could see Boston doing a 2013 here and making a run. Or they could lose to the Caps in the first round. Really depends on Rask and whether they could get supplemental scoring.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri May 07, 2021 11:20 am

re: home ice

As long as we have it against BOS or NYI I am happy. I don't think it matters as much against WAS. We've won plenty of game 7s there. We can't seem to win consistently in Boston or on the Isle.