mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:31 pm

Its within the context of the game enough for me.. It's a dick move by a dick but we have no answer for it. If I were him I'd do it every game.

Not clean. But not suspendable. And not a 5.

Score on the Power Play and it stops.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:32 pm

Because it's at least once or twice a year Wilson does something borderline. Clearly, the guy hasn't learned a damn thing. That hit last night was over a second late, and he, along with the Caps, thought there was nothing wrong with it.

It's a cumulative thing for me. He hasn't learned. The only thing thats going to make the lesson sink in is a lengthy suspension.
Yeah I agree with this. Most of his hits fall into the "borderline suspension but probably just a penalty." But when that happens 8 times a year then you've gotta put a stop to it

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:48 pm

The system isn't designed like that...

"Hey, look, here's a bunch of stuff that you were generally not seriously penalized for...sometimes in game, rarely out of game, but regardless, you generally were not penalized at the time or in retrospect in a major way...now, we have decided to amass all of that for an indeterminate amount of time and have decided to levy [this] punishment against you..."

So what do you do...? How do you do it...?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:56 pm

Right. It's not a Tom Wilson problem. It's the fact that NHL Player Safety is a charade. They don't want to fix it, and it won't be fixed until the blowhard generation is dead.

The only thing I can do is just say **** it and not watch anymore, spend my time and money elsewhere.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:34 am

NHL player safety has nothing to do with Wilson's interference penalty on Jankowski

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:31 am

I still say just score on the pp. score on the pp then chirp him about it.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:32 am

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:32 am

Pens be like: "pass"

ha ha

ha

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:13 am

If it’s a after an injury, this is trading a dollar for twelve cents. Add that up over time and your chirps don’t pay the bills. You also have ‘18 where there wasn’t a penalty called after the ZAR hit, and it ended up being a tactical advantage they needed to win the cup. Just like the ensuing Tampa and Vegas series’. He went out there and committed 3 or 4 charges a game without pushback.

I think dodint has it figured out. There’s no real retribution, and the league could certainly give him a lifetime achievement suspension at any point. But they think THIS way is better. So it’s a big turn off and I’m some percent less engaged than I was a week ago. This is like year 6 of this and now we play them like 60% of the time so it’s dumber than ever.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:16 am

Tom Wilson is not someone who will change his play because of suspensions. The way he plays is why he has a job just like all the guys like him before. The suspensions are just part of the job. See also,

Matt Cooke
Raffi Torres
Steve Ott
Sean Avery

Et all
Last edited by Pavel Bure on Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:17 am

I also remember Messier used to do this thing where when he was about to get hit, he’d raise his gloves/stick up and nail the guy in the face. A lost art in times like this...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:37 am

The system isn't designed like that...

"Hey, look, here's a bunch of stuff that you were generally not seriously penalized for...sometimes in game, rarely out of game, but regardless, you generally were not penalized at the time or in retrospect in a major way...now, we have decided to amass all of that for an indeterminate amount of time and have decided to levy [this] punishment against you..."

So what do you do...? How do you do it...?
Repeat offender status already gives you a shorter leash. I don’t think the current system is really that different than what you’re describing. You tell a guy he needs to be on his best behavior, and then you judge him differently than other players. Cooke got this treatment. His last suspension with us wasn’t his worst offense but it was his longest suspension.

The distinction here is that you don’t want to look at the Jankowski hit and elevate a 2 minute penalty to a 5. Id argue his physical ability makes a late shot to the chest on an unsuspecting player worthy of a suspension because of his unique ability to hurt people this way - and an often matching intent.

Wilson has the cheat code to intentionally injure people with hits that would be legal with weaker players. This isn’t where you look at the rule book and shrug your shoulders. The DoPS makes **** up all the time to deal with anomalies. This wouldn’t be so different.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:45 am

Repeat offenses don't apply to no and minor penalty situations...so that's what I'm saying, you can't take a bunch of nothing and make it something...you can't ex post facto him to death...

So, all you have is the stuff they deemed off the ice punishable in an 18 month window...which isn't enough to Raffi Torres him anyway...so there isn't much here...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:49 am

The premise that DOPS has limits and standards on what they can and can’t do is a dubious one.

They make decisions and then rationalize. Sometimes those decisions are obviously political. Even these days.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:55 am

I mean, the repeat offender act is collectively bargained, their decisions are subject to arbitration...it's not quite this untethered, Federal Reserve type lawless body...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:13 am

Yeah, ultimately this is a lot of dodinting without anything actionable.

But there’s this nuance people don’t get...if you’re in a scrum and JG Pageau gets a little spicy with the face wash and it’s basically a punch to the nose, the league's considers that the same thing as if Chara does it, and your jaw goes all wobbly in the slo mo replay.

So for that jankowski incident, I think you need to entertain the possibility that it’s a major. Because the act itself was late, unnecessary, etc. And the damage is different than if it’s McCann laying the hit. Wilson’s not getting punished for being strong. He’s being punished for being strong and stupid. This should be part of the framework of DoPS.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:19 am

That's not unreasonable on its face...but you still have to apply some sort of off-the-ice penalty for it to really register and I don't think they did that at all...not even a little whack on his no-no place...so if I'm right (didn't look it up), this is lost in the sands of history as a minor penalty...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:35 am

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pengu ... qe-lR1ny6s
The Pittsburgh Penguins have named Chris Pryor director of player personnel, it was announced today by general manager Ron Hextall.

"Chris brings a wealth of knowledge and experience and is a welcome addition to our hockey operations staff," said Hextall.

In his new role, Pryor, 60, will help oversee the scouting efforts in North America and Europe, and assist with all player personnel decisions. This is the first hire made by Hextall, who was named general manager on February 9.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:12 am

I thought he'd end up here...Hextall's right hand man...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:36 am

Did we not have a director of player personnel previously?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:19 pm

We need a director of player health

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:20 pm

That's not unreasonable on its face...but you still have to apply some sort of off-the-ice penalty for it to really register and I don't think they did that at all...not even a little whack on his no-no place...so if I'm right (didn't look it up), this is lost in the sands of history as a minor penalty...
And it will. And that's fine if you're cool with a guy doing this sht repeatedly and being part of the game. I'm not and would like that to change.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:29 pm

It was Karmanos, I think, who was let go before the season started, amongst others. GMJR kinda gutted the whole thing in the offseason.

EDIT: Apparently a "Derek Clancey" in 2019: https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/sport ... ce-356657/

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:54 pm

It was Karmanos, I think, who was let go before the season started, amongst others. GMJR kinda gutted the whole thing in the offseason.

EDIT: Apparently a "Derek Clancey" in 2019: https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/sport ... ce-356657/
That’s ECHL Hall of Famer Derek Clancey to you. And per the Trib article on the matter, he was canned to make space for Hextall’s boy.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:56 pm

Of the 23 active players on the Flyers’ roster today, 16 were drafted while Pryor was with the organization:

• Nicolas Aubel-Kubel, RW (second round - 2014)

• Connor Bunnaman, C (fourth round - 2016)

• Sean Couturier, C (first round - 2011)

• Joel Farabee, LW (first round - 2018)

• Morgan Frost, C (first round - 2017)

• Claude Giroux, C (first round - 2006)

• Shayne Gostisbehere, D (third round - 2012)

• Robert Hagg, D (second round - 2013)

• Carter Hart, G (second round - 2016)

• Scott Laughton, C (first round - 2012)

• Oskar Lindblom, LW (fifth round - 2014)

• Nolan Patrick, C (first round - 2014)

• Ivan Provorov, D (first round - 2015)

• Travis Sanheim, D (first round - 2014)

• Carsen Twarynski, LW (third round - 2016)

• James van Riemsdyk, LW (first round - 2007)

Two others, defensemen Philippe Myers (2015) and left winger Michael Raffl (2013), were undrafted free agent signings during Pryor’s tenure.
Pretty impressive.