mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

relantel

Postby relantel » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:58 pm

if we win tomorrow and the Rags lose, we clinch a playoff berth
Magic number is 4. Rangers max 70. Pens at 67. Would require a Rags loss in regulation, as they don't have the Regulation Wins clinch on them (25 to 22 with 7 games left each).

FWIW, Pens have already clinched a better record than the Flyers. Their max is 67 and they cannot catch the Pens in regulation wins (25 to 14 with Philly having 8 games left)

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:42 pm

Yeah my brother was lower level in the corner where 93 buried it. Said the puck came right at him.

I was upper level center ice. I actually miss that barn a lot.
I'm very guilty of saying it. Sure, PPG is clean and shiny, has all of the fancy food, the new gambling area that will eventually open, and probably doesn't have a bad seat in the place. But the Igloo was dirty, had sticky floors and narrow hallways, had 20-30 year old technology as far as the eye could see, and smelled like stale beer (among other things) even on non-hockey days. But it had that old hockey arena feel to it, and I kinda miss that.
I mean there were times where due to the shape of the hallways and the width... you'd have two crowds trying to go in opposite direction and it pretty much was a traffic jam where nobody could go where they wanted to go.

There were a lot of things I don't miss about that place.

Good memories - sure, but mostly because of the hockey I saw on the ice and celebrating a goal with the voice of John Barbero, no so much for the view, seats, concourses.

The beginning of this clip just cracks me up
I used to think I wanted to be Mike Lange. When I took over PA announcing duties at the local high school a few years back, however, I realized I really wanted to be John Barbaro. When we score- excited but not obnoxious, when the other team scores- pleasant and polite, my daughter would say too excited. He just had the nicest voice and delivery whether he was reading lineups or a bank advertisement. Tim DeBacco of the Buccos has a similar style.

I'm not a Ryan Mill hater by any means, he has the over the top delivery most PA announcers do today. Not really my thing.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:09 am

FWIW, Pens have already clinched a better record than the Flyers. Their max is 67 and they cannot catch the Pens in regulation wins (25 to 14 with Philly having 8 games left)
that's the best news I've heard all day. it's been interesting to watch the Cryers this season. they started out so strong and they just imploded. didn't a lot of the analysts have them winning it all or at least winning this division?

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:28 am

The Igloo had character. It smelled odd, the floors were sticky, hallways narrow, bathrooms had troughs, some seats were completely behind pillars, though some seats it felt like you were close to the action or even on top of it if you're in the balcony.
I remember they ended up listing the troughs for the auction, and I want to say multiple troughs went north of $1000.

I mean I'm all for nostalgia, but I'm not scratching a check for a game used pisser.
:lol: I do regret not buying a couple seats, though they were overpriced then and they still are overpriced whenever they pop up on eBay. I eventually had to tell family to stop buying me those Wendall August roof ornaments.
I snagged a row of four seats when they upgraded the War Memorial in Johnstown back in the early 2000s. When I moved out here in the early 2010s, I knew I wouldn't have room in my tiny apartment for them. I've been lucky enough that my sister has been able to store them in her garage. That's where they've been for the last 10 years. As much as I want to make stands for them and throw them in my game room, I honestly don't have room for it. I need to make some sort of plan for them because the paint is starting to flake on them and it's not like the condition is going to improve over time.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:29 am

that's the best news I've heard all day. it's been interesting to watch the Cryers this season. they started out so strong and they just imploded. didn't a lot of the analysts have them winning it all or at least winning this division?
They were supposed to be up there, and the Pens were supposed to be borderline playoff team. Glad they actually played the games :mrgreen:

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:53 am

To be fair, this board also called the Pens a borderline team.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:59 am

thought this was interesting, not sure if I agree with it: https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden ... -shouldnt/

inarguably, we've won more without Geno than with him. the shift from middling to winning isn't directly attributable to him (our team defense has gotten much better) but I wonder if he should slot into his same exact role that he had before his injury

I wouldn't be upset with him on the second PP, at least to start

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:50 pm

I just moused over the title, if the point is Malkin shouldn't be top power play - our best or second best power play player - then I don't really agree with it...

I think I probably get the rationale...but I don't think I subscribe to it, because I'm an effective communicator as a power play coach and I believe I can get my player to fit into the working plan...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:51 pm

I'm open to leaving it as is to not mess with success and just having him jump in the first sign of the PP losing some steam

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 pm

Plug him in where mccann has been playing, i.e. not his usual half wall spot.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:55 pm

Wait a second... Mark Madden says something negative about Malkin!? Get right out of town.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:59 pm

The Trotz Preds used to have regular season success like this too.

Then the playoffs happened and a lack of high end talent killed them every year.

I like this team without Geno, but so will whoever we play in round 1. The game changes.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:07 pm

Are we saying there’s a Malkin effect similar to the Ewing effect?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:19 pm

Definitely not...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:22 pm

I like the idea of having two potent PP units. The problem is it never (?) works out that way. Put Geno on the top unit.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:07 pm

Mike Lange to make temporary return to Penguins broadcast
https://triblive.com/sports/mike-lange- ... broadcast/

the errey i breathe

Postby the errey i breathe » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:28 pm

I forgot about these boards for like 6 years. I guess I'm back if anyone even remembers haha.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:29 pm

Welcome back... :thumb:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:43 pm

See. The thing with Malkin on the pp. you put him on it, obviously. And if he wrecks it, you put McCann back in. It’s not like McCann is doing anything that a few weeks on the shelf is going to disrupt.

Also, that McCann play is going to dry up. The book is out on it. Yeah yeah yeah it might open other options, but so does Malkin firing lasers from the dot

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:01 pm

I feel like he fired lasers from the dot 5x more often years ago. And it was effective. Maybe because of gonchar

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:08 pm

Regardless...he's the only player on the team that is a threat to score from distance...

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:22 pm

It’s a hockey night in Pittsburgh!

Mike Lange returns to the air tonight, calling his first game of the season due to birth of Getzoff’s baby

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:31 pm

Gunnar Getzoff

What a name

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:35 pm

Mike Lange returns to the air tonight, calling his first game of the season due to birth of Getzoff’s baby
He sounds awful. We’re not yet in Tunch territory, but he’s unfortunately to the point where he shouldn’t be paid to talk.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:50 pm

He sounds awful. We’re not yet in Tunch territory, but he’s unfortunately to the point where he shouldn’t be paid to talk.
Last I heard him he sounded very weak.