mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:32 pm

Well, there you go. Another well-considered argument for contraction.

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:46 pm

2542 team games vs - say - 1680 team games. It's more TV to work around, it's more building availability issues to work around, there have been many varied in-season stoppages, etc.

1986 - 10/10/85 - 5/24/86
1987 - 10/9 to 5/31
1988 - 10/8 to 5/26
1991 - 10/4 to 5/25
...more teams get added
1992 - 10/3 to 6/1
1993 - 10/6 to 6/9
...more teams...
1994 - 10/5 to 6/14
1996 - 10/6 to 6/10
...more teams...
2000 - 10/1 to 6/10
2001 - 10/4 to 6/9
2002 - 10/3 to 6/13

It's just a little bit tougher to deal with all the logistics when you have more teams...
Statistically not really as you have more venues too.

However, the playoffs themselves have gotten longer because they switched out from the every other day east/west format to the goofy TV schedule that you are touching on. However, that also has nothing to do with number of teams in the League as it is the same 16 team best of 7 playoffs.

Olympics is a valid excuse for those years.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:15 am

no one cares about statistically. in practicality more teams = longer seasons

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:10 pm

More teams=more games
More games=longer season

Nobody is playing double headers. More games means spreading them out over a longer period of time.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:39 pm

It seemed fairly straightforward, but... :lol:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:02 pm

i mean we all knew how this would go..

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:08 pm

More teams=more games
More games=longer season

Nobody is playing double headers. More games means spreading them out over a longer period of time.
Each team is still only playing 82 games. Whether there are 2 teams in the league or 2,000, it is still 82 games per team, 41 per building. It is not matter if you have 1 team as the visitor each home game, or 41 different teams. THe number of teams in the league is not relevant.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:11 pm

It seemed fairly straightforward, but... :lol:
Yeah, it is, it is literally simply math, but some people seem to be dazzled by something shiny. 2 team league, 2,000 team league... 82 game season. 82 games. Period.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:11 pm

it is relevant though. Team A plays team B. Then team C has to play A. And D plays B and so on. And they were all in different cities two days ago.. The more teams playing the harder it is to schedule all of these moving parts in the same time frame. It's not like every team plays every two days and we're on our merry way.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:13 pm

i mean we all knew how this would go..
Sorry you had to take your shoes off to get to 10. What did you need to do to get to 31, or 82?

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:20 pm

it is relevant though. Team A plays team B. Then team C has to play A. And D plays B and so on. And they were all in different cities two days ago.. The more teams playing the harder it is to schedule all of these moving parts in the same time frame. It's not like every team plays every two days and we're on our merry way.
It isn't because there are more venues (arenas) and you have more teams to fill in holes made by other teams prior commitments. Travel also happed ever game when there were less teams. It isn't like there were back to back games in the same city with the same team all of the time. Even home-and-home's meant travel between every game. "Team A plays team B. Then team C has to play A. And D plays B and so on. And they were all in different cities two days ago.." happened before 92 too. Zero relevance.

The there side of your coin (which would also actually be wrong, but for demonstration purpose) is that having the pick 30 other teams to come to your building on any given day is easier to schedule than having 23 other teams to pick from. It would also be easier to fine a city to go to out of 30 option rather than 23. Other side of the coin that you are using as support.

It is 82 games. 41 home games. 2 team league, 2,000 team league, there is no relevance to how long the season takes to complete.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:21 pm

I like when Jim digs his feet in.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:34 pm

I like when Jim digs his feet in.
I gave them the "hands" thing because I didn't really care, and it was something that I could openly mock them with every time I post with my location. And I don't have lunch with girlscouts, or professional scouts, or whatever the sad brag was, so maybe having hands has something to do with skating (it doesn't, but I don't buy the cookies either). But this is literally grade school math. 82 games. Period. Whether the NHL season has 1,968 total games or 2,542 total games, or 5,000,000, each team plays 82. Period. Increasing the number of teams/cities while not increasing the number games played per team dose not affect the time it would take to play that same number of games. Arguing delays due to wanting things on NBC, or Olympics, or something like that... there is validity. By saying that straight "more teams" means more time to complete the same number of games per team, that is just not correct.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:37 pm

i'll be honest, i really could give 0 f's about this so it's not worth putting any effort in to convince you. so whatever, your big brain might figure it out one day. but increasing the number of teams and travel locations and also the impact of having to play X number of teams X amount of times most certainly affects who is available to play who any given day. so it drags out.. alas, i don't care. good day.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:57 pm

How the **** is this conversation still up for debate?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:15 pm

I liked Jim when he made smarter points about Brooks Orpik or whatever...I don't know if the cheese has slid off of his cracker or what...but these last couple have been *Rodney Dangerfield collar tug*...

Let's re-route...and I mean this sincerely, what's our top 3 issues to address going into the offseason, and how might you solve them...?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:22 pm

Well that's unfair. You know I don't offer solutions. :lol:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:48 pm

1) need a net front presence imo
2) Petterrson needs gone and Ceci needs re-signed
3) backup goalie

solutions:
1) trade zucker and mccann for a power forward - I think there's enough value between them to make something work
2) expansion draft
3) ???

also, Letang and Geno need extended. I'm hoping Geno may take a bit less than he has to help with the above

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:16 pm

Though that's a 2022 and beyond solution if that happens

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:43 pm

1. Need a solid 1B Goalie option. I'm not ready to write off Jarry like some, but we need a goalie that is Vokoun to Fleury so if the kitchen gets hot, it doesn't burn down. I like CDS, but he has had one purpose since he signed his last deal and that purpose expires after the expansion draft. Take whatever 6th/7th round pick you can get for him.

2. Shed some salary. Trade (or expansion draft) any/all of Pettersson, Tanev, Matheson, Zucker. The dollars and/or term don't make it worth it. If you aren't going to play Zucker with Crosby, send him off. He doesn't work with Malkin. I like Tanev too, but when the wheels go it's going to be ugly.

3. Don't make any FGMJR signings. This includes long or high term deals for people like Ceci, McCann, Kapanen, and even Rust, Malkin, and Letang. Be smart with your money. I'm not against signing any of those guys to extensions, or new deal for Ceci, but don't be foolish either.

Solutions:

1. I think I look at Anderson, Raanta, maybe Mrazek in FA. Guys that aren't going to cost a ton, but can trust for the most part. Could get crazy and go for a trade for Gibson, but that would cost Jarry most likely but then I'd be ok with CDS staying put.

2. Maybe you get lucky with one getting taken in expansion draft but this is going to be a tough task. Maybe now is the time to move a 2nd round pick for teams to take on salary while you still have a window. You'll need those high picks in several years. Unless you can find a hockey trade that makes sense.

3. I'm not worried about Hextall on this front. He doesn't seem to be a wasteful spender. I guess we'll find out.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:36 pm

A.) Salary shedding that brings a GMRH/PHOBB roster more into focus. Zucker, Pettersson, Matheson all make sense to one degree or another and are the heavy hitters, but there’s also a lot of bottom line bloat from FGMJR guys. Lafferty, Angello, Beetle, Riikola all on one way deals next season (which matters more for Mario’s pocket), while Friedman and his one way deal is our first and only exposure at this point to GMRH bringing in his own guy.

2.) Truculence. I target three areas: bottom line banger so Tanev isn’t a one man show, someone capable of playing with Sid or Geno (not necessarily full time) who can make space and be a net front presence, and a dirty work defenseman for the 2nd or 3rd pair.

The second request is probably the most difficult and expensive to fill, but was my original hope for Zucker who doesn’t provide enough physicality for my liking. Mid-30s Sid shouldn’t be the biggest and toughest guy on his line.

The defenseman could be Ceci, though he’s not a perfect fit for the ask. Watching the highlights from beating those losers in Smashville made it really hit home the trouble we’ve had at replacing an Ian Cole type on the blue line. PKer, physical, shot blocker. I assume that was the hope for JMFJ but he sucked. Ceci fills some of those holes but isn’t as mean as Cole was. Letang is particularly tough and gritty (and dumb) for his role, but the rest of the lot are puss bags.

D.) 1B goalie. Tough to do without moving salary, especially given how cheap CDS is.

Extra curriculars: acquiring more picks and increased focus on youth in WBS. I know we’re still very much JB win now mode, but this team won their first cup under HCMs because injuries forced the team to find out what they had in Rust, Sheary, Wilson, Kuhn, and Murray, not because they had Currie, Trotman, Czuczman, Erixon, Olesky, etc lying in wait.

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:39 am

How the **** is this conversation still up for debate?

That's a really good question.

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:29 am

I liked Jim when he made smarter points about Brooks Orpik or whatever...I don't know if the cheese has slid off of his cracker or what...but these last couple have been *Rodney Dangerfield collar tug*...

Let's re-route...and I mean this sincerely, what's our top 3 issues to address going into the offseason, and how might you solve them...?

I typed up a reply to the first part this but deleted it. I'll just say that I have always been a jackhole, but you have really slipped over the last year. Maybe you have let sycophants like billheis get in your ear, or COVID has hit you hard, or something, but whatever. If you need a release, I'll take it.

Three things that need to be addressed:

1. Figure out the team Identity. Is it what Hextall wants, is it what Burke wants, is it what Sullivan wants. Right now these do not line up. Shero and Bylsma didn't see the same path, Sullivan and Rutherford didn't either. Set the Pens on a direction and everyone in management/coaching needs to buy in.

2. Make final decisions on Malkin and Letang as early as possible so that you can move past that decision and get on with the bigger picture.

3. Make move/moves in terms of trades and signings that follow that identity.
If you plan to be a bit more physical of a team, move out players that don't fit that (Pettersson/Matheson/Marino at D, Guentzel at F) Bring in guys that play with an edge but aren't just goons.
If you want speed and scoring, move out players that don't fit that (Dumoulin/Pettersson at D, Reese maybe Zucker/Rust at F) Bring in guys with creative passing, goal finishing ability, and hands so that they can skate through traffic.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:21 pm

In priority order.

1. Geno 3 x 21
2. Ceci 3 x 10
3. Clear some dead cap (mccann, pettersson, or zucker in that order)
4. Replace the dead cap with balls (armia, Coleman, or mcginn in that order)
5. Get a 1A goalie (more faith in jarry than most)

Honestly no reason they can't do all 5

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:23 pm

I'd love to add another center to the fold but thats the lowest priority. Gonna have to ride carter/blueger as 2/3 when geno is out