mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:02 pm

Malkin most dangerous Penguin in the post season on a knee with torn ligaments and a brace..and ya'll wanna trade him for pucks. c'mon man. He missing some time recently but the Pens are infinitely better with him then without him. Unless this is tear it down start over rebuild, you keep him because you can't replace his production coming back the other way for a team trying to win now.
Are they still in win now mode? 3 straight first round exits, a barren farm system, and aging veterans. If the playoffs these past 3 years have shown anything it’s that a well coached defensive team can and has waited for blunders from this group and capitalized on them.

I have zero interest in being the Red Wings who are still in shambles from holding on too long
Did we lose because we played a defensive team? Seems like we had our way with the Isles and lost because we couldn't keep pucks out of our net, but not even because of our team play, but because our goalie was giving up bad goals and there aren't other NHL goalies lying around in our system to make a change to...

16 goals and 231 shots to 21 goals and 187 shots. We had over 400 shot attempts in six games. We controlled the pace of most of the series. They had to swap goalies to try to get the series going their way. Our goalie couldn't get to a 9 out of 10 shots coming his way.
Yeah…it’s really easy to get sucked into alternate theories here. But we lost the series because of Jarry. And now we’re actually seeing that the Isles aren’t pushovers, so all the stuff where we couldn’t solve their physicality and Trotz vs Sullivan and stuff like that…that’s because they’re actually pretty good. And we…we were REALLY good. But our goalie blew it.

So even though you have McCann and ZAR not performing and Zucker being a weirdo and Pettersson being overall an unfortunate phenomenon…we still outplayed them handily and they won because of a legendarily sucky performance from one guy.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:36 pm

Malkin most dangerous Penguin in the post season on a knee with torn ligaments and a brace..and ya'll wanna trade him for pucks. c'mon man. He missing some time recently but the Pens are infinitely better with him then without him. Unless this is tear it down start over rebuild, you keep him because you can't replace his production coming back the other way for a team trying to win now.
Are they still in win now mode? 3 straight first round exits, a barren farm system, and aging veterans. If the playoffs these past 3 years have shown anything it’s that a well coached defensive team can and has waited for blunders from this group and capitalized on them.

I have zero interest in being the Red Wings who are still in shambles from holding on too long
Did we lose because we played a defensive team? Seems like we had our way with the Isles and lost because we couldn't keep pucks out of our net, but not even because of our team play, but because our goalie was giving up bad goals and there aren't other NHL goalies lying around in our system to make a change to...

16 goals and 231 shots to 21 goals and 187 shots. We had over 400 shot attempts in six games. We controlled the pace of most of the series. They had to swap goalies to try to get the series going their way. Our goalie couldn't get to a 9 out of 10 shots coming his way.
And the two years prior to this year?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:45 pm

There was no care given vs. Montreal. None. We decided we didn't want to do anything that year and cashed out on the bubble thing.

2019 fits your narrative. But changes have taken place since then. I mean, clearly, because we played the same team in 2019 and we were better this time around...way better.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:01 pm

Yeah we sucked in 19 and deserved to lose. It was a bad year and reflected poorly on everyone.

In 18 we ran out of gas at the worst time. In 20 we didn’t want the bubble - like a lot of teams who already had been to the big show.

The outcomes haven’t been incorrect up until this year. But 19…I don’t like anything about that one. It was Sully and Kessel taking turns being unhelpful and a bunch of uninterested bystanders.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:55 pm

2020 didn't happen. Sorry.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:35 am

I'd suggest potential platoon with Jarry but I have a feeling he wants to leave Carolina because he and Ned are splitting time.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:10 am

I used to have time for him...but other goalie coaches ruined his potential, imo. Also, the idea of having two scrambly, athleticism-based goalies might not be the best idea...or maybe it's the best...I don't know.

I'd be really sensitive about spending real money on goaltending. I think I can get plus goaltending without spending a combined $5 million, which would give us a huge advantage in the flat-cap market...Mrazek will break that model...

E-Ramone

Postby E-Ramone » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:18 am

I used to have time for him...but other goalie coaches ruined his potential, imo. Also, the idea of having two scrambly, athleticism-based goalies might not be the best idea...or maybe it's the best...I don't know.

I'd be really sensitive about spending real money on goaltending. I think I can get plus goaltending without spending a combined $5 million, which would give us a huge advantage in the flat-cap market...Mrazek will break that model...
Yeah, just having DeSmith available against the Islanders might have been enough to win the series and make this goaltending issue seem much less dire. Combine a healthy DeSmith with hopefully a ton of motivation for Jarry to up his game, and I think the goaltending is better in 2022 w/o dropping serious coin on the position.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:23 am

I’ll agree with all this. And the goalie free agent market is pretty deep this year if we felt the need to dip into it. Mrazek would be outside the top five of targets for me.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:25 am

Are we going to get anyone for under 2 mil that's an upgrade over CDS?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:26 am

Are we going to get anyone for under 2 mil that's an upgrade over CDS jarry?

meow

Postby meow » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:27 am

Negative

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:41 pm

Probably pretty easily...you just have to be creative...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:45 pm

Negative
so which is it?

bhflyhigh

Postby bhflyhigh » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:49 pm

My favorite play this year by far was CDS punching the puck. You keep him here based on that alone.

meow

Postby meow » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:51 pm

Negative
so which is it?
The difference is our valuing of CDS. It’s no secret that I think a lot higher of him than mikey does.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:07 pm

Yup

meow

Postby meow » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:09 pm

So who we getting for under 2 sheets that is an upgrade?

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:58 pm

Carey Price after he is bought out ;) He signs here since he wants to play with Crosby...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:08 pm

answer the question @mikey

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:10 pm

Matt Murray?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:25 pm

Well, my first instinct was to go over to the KHL or SEL. Because, let's pretend I believe in CDS. Fine, then I have a guy. I know I believe in Jarry. So I can roll the dice and waive CDS if I want...

But even looking at the NHL...what is Raanta gonna get? What is Rittich gonna get (probably more than 2, to be fair)...? I assume Ullmark will get paid, so we can't go there...

But I have some guys over there that'd be interested in...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:33 pm

I don't believe in Jarry

meow

Postby meow » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:35 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:38 pm

A headcase with a high glove problem.