mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:16 am

What is it with teams and retreads these days?

Tocchet did the head coach thing in Arizona for a few games when Gretzky was there, Hitchcock back to Dallas, Carlyle back to Anaheim, Julien/Therrien and Montreal...

Is the NHL coaching pool really that small?

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:18 am

NHL: once you're in, you're in. But it's tough to get in that bubble... :(

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:18 am

Reaves is going to run wild and out of control now... aaaahhhhhhh! :scared:

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:18 am

It might be the biggest old boys network going.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:23 am

Man, the Pens sure have lost a lot of players and personnel this off season. The 2017 team was basically the same as 2016. 2018 will look fairly different, not only on the ice but on the bench/front office as well. We were pretty lucky to have most of the band back together for the repeat Cup. (Sorry, Reverend)

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:24 am

Eww. Why would anyone take that job?

Edit: Also, I really just hate people.

https://twitter.com/Arnar86/status/882941055229988864

So god damn stupid.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:26 am

Source of the post Eww. Why would anyone take that job?
My guess is that it's the first step to get back into a head coaching spot that could land him a better opportunity later down the road. I'd like to see him stick around a bit longer, personally.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:27 am

As discussed earlier in the offseason, this is what happens to winners...everyone wants a piece...as an individual, this is how you move up in most settings...

Why Not Us

Postby Why Not Us » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:29 am

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/pekka ... nashville/

With all due respect to Rinne, I'm not sure how he can watch his team get smoked in Pittsburgh- in large part because of his performance- and surmise they were destined to lift the Cup.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:34 am

In his defense, I think he was referring to their entire run and not just the Final. Here's the full quote:
Right up until Hagelin’s empty-netter, I thought we would win. Honestly, I’m still having a hard time accepting that we didn’t. It just felt like … man. It just felt like “our” season. Until the very end … it just really did feel like it was our destiny to lift the Cup this year. And so to have to watch another team do it — in our city, in front of our fans — that was a tough pill to swallow. And it probably won’t stop being tough for a while.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:36 am

I hope they suck ass this year and Bonino scores like 4 goals all season.

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:37 am

Hell yes

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:46 am

I hope they suck ass this year and Bonino scores like 4 goals all season.
Which would only be 5 less than he scored in 2015-2016.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:47 am

In his defense, I think he was referring to their entire run and not just the Final. Here's the full quote:
Right up until Hagelin’s empty-netter, I thought we would win. Honestly, I’m still having a hard time accepting that we didn’t. It just felt like … man. It just felt like “our” season. Until the very end … it just really did feel like it was our destiny to lift the Cup this year. And so to have to watch another team do it — in our city, in front of our fans — that was a tough pill to swallow. And it probably won’t stop being tough for a while.
I liked that he talked about all of the other series, but then when it was time to discuss the Cup he was like "and then we just lost."

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:55 am

I liked that he talked about all of the other series, but then when it was time to discuss the Cup he was like "and then we just lost."
I imagine that he was quite angry.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:55 am

I mean he can be angry, but he was a large reason as to why they didn't win.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:08 am

Nah. It was the refs. They scored a goal in the last 120 minutes+ of hockey. And it got taken away. With that whopping one goal, they deserved everything.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:13 am

I really don't see the Preds going as far again. They had a really great run but it seemed flukish up until the end

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:19 am

I also think this...
But take another look, of course, and that video — that’s the best of P.K. in a nutshell: handling a tough situation like a pro, and dealing with adversity in a really positive way.
...is a result of subban just generally not giving a crap about losing. His goofball act isn't a brave face. It's a shrug of the shoulders and a, "eh". I don't say this because he dances before games or makes up breath stories. Its just the overall impression I get. It's similar to how the guys who break into choreography after a touchdown...I think they lose a game and are smiling before they even take off their helmet because THEY had fun. Again - just a hunch. And I think it's easy to confuse resiliency with someone not appreciating the stakes.

Or I could be wrong.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:41 am

Pretty ballsy/insanely stupid for him to write that. If I were the chief reason my team lost the Cup, I'd hide away and train my ass off all summer. Not pen a Players Tribune article.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:03 am

If there was an expansion draft for assistant coaches and you had to protect Martin or Tocchet, I'd protect Martin every single day of the week. Tocchet can be replaced easier.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:42 am

I also think this...
But take another look, of course, and that video — that’s the best of P.K. in a nutshell: handling a tough situation like a pro, and dealing with adversity in a really positive way.
...is a result of subban just generally not giving a crap about losing. His goofball act isn't a brave face. It's a shrug of the shoulders and a, "eh". I don't say this because he dances before games or makes up breath stories. Its just the overall impression I get. It's similar to how the guys who break into choreography after a touchdown...I think they lose a game and are smiling before they even take off their helmet because THEY had fun. Again - just a hunch. And I think it's easy to confuse resiliency with someone not appreciating the stakes.

Or I could be wrong.
Nah. The fact that his first action after his team won their first SCF game in team history was to skate across the ice to yell FU @ Sid says it all.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:51 am

I also think this...

Or I could be wrong.
Nah. The fact that his first action after his team won their first SCF game in team history was to skate across the ice to yell FU @ Sid says it all.
Exactly. And long long ago I remember he scored some big goal against Boston in a game 7. I think the tied he game late and sent it into OT or something. His first reaction wasn't to cheer or celebrate with his team. It was to hold his finger up and "shhh" the crowd. Like...how can you score the biggest goal of your life...and really have your first big NHL moment...and your priority is to flip a group of people the bird instead of i dunno, being excited or happy? It's odd to me. I'm not that into picking apart character or piling on subban. I don't think he's the media whore or narcissist he's made out to be. I think he just doesn't care the same way a guy like hornqvist does.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:53 pm

The Pens top D cap hits:

2017-18: 7.25, 5.5, 4.08, 2.25, 2.1, 0.65 (21.83) (Technically, Dumoulin's number will replace the 0.65)
2016-17: 7.25, 4.08, 3.3, 2.1, 1.4, 0.8 (18.93)
2015-16: 7.25, 2.1, 2.09, 1.1, 0.89, 0.8 (14.23)

When Dumoulin's number get's added in there it will be around $4.5M jumps each year.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:55 pm

That seems like the expected increase.