mikey's Thread of Penguin Randomness

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:07 am

Every move Rutherford has been has been pretty solid. I'll wait until the season gets going to make an assessment on the coaching move. I am surprised he didn't go to Vegas however.
He didn't go to Vegas because Vegas is going to draft Fleury, then move him to Carolina for Staal. It's a done deal.
:pop:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:03 am

So I guess it doesn't matter given the expectation that they will take Fleury, but kind of a weird protection list from the Pens, leaving the following exposed:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/statu ... 2215200768

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:05 am

Rust is the only F that surprises me. But, yeah, I guess it doesn't matter.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:33 am

Yeah none of this matter. Penguins could've released a list that just had Fleury's name on it.

Dan H

Postby Dan H » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:35 am

They went with the 1+8 plan instead of 1+7+3.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:37 am

One way it does matter: slightly more time to exclusively bargain with Schultz.

TheHammer24

Postby TheHammer24 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:55 am

As I said in the expansion draft thread, it came down to exposing one of Hornqvist, Rust, and Domoulin. I would have exposed Hornqvist, who has just one year left on his contract, over Rust, but Hornqvist is probably more important to the team at this moment, so I get it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:02 pm

Yeah, it doesn't matter, but officially:

https://www.twitter.com/JMackeyPG/statu ... 3383753728

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:03 pm

A Fleury/Mrazek duo can provide "hero level" goaltending for that team...couldn't really think of two better goalies for this scenario...

Great58

Postby Great58 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Do we know when deals/trades with VGK will be announced? Before the beginning of the draft?? As they are made?
I'll assume it's a deal that the Pens have made to assure Fleury is the player taken, otherwise they'd not have release Bales at this point. So did we have to give Vegas a pick? Or was it a trade that sent assets both ways to ensure the Pens didn't trade Fleury prior to the draft so that VGK could claim him?

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:11 pm

I don't think we needed to make a deal...I think we said "hey, if we expose Fleury, are you gonna take him?" the response was "obviously" and then we both hung up...they get a starting goalie and the only one in the league who can say he's played in an expansion-like environment before...and, uh, that's that...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:19 pm

I'd like to think that if they took Rust, as much as I'd hate it, we could get more than a Bryan Rust in a Fleury trade

Great58

Postby Great58 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:21 pm

I don't think we needed to make a deal...I think we said "hey, if we expose Fleury, are you gonna take him?" the response was "obviously" and then we both hung up...they get a starting goalie and the only one in the league who can say he's played in an expansion-like environment before...and, uh, that's that...
So we just trust GMGP's word and make coaching changes accordingly?
I understand if VGK didn't take Fleury he'd need to be traded anyway. I just find the Bales departure to indicate certainty at this time.
I guess Fleury > Rust > Hagelin at this point, and as much as we like Cole there are better exposed D, so Fleury's the logical pick.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Somehow stumbled across a guy on Twitter dodinting that the Pens protected Maatta but left Hainsey, Daley, Kunitz, and Cullen exposed.

Guess I'm back to rooting for North Korea.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:26 pm

So we just trust GMGP's word and make coaching changes accordingly?
I understand if VGK didn't take Fleury he'd need to be traded anyway. I just find the Bales departure to indicate certainty at this time.
I guess Fleury > Rust > Hagelin at this point, and as much as we like Cole there are better exposed D, so Fleury's the logical pick.
I'm assuming you're referring to George McPhee...? Yeah, I mean, just don't get what he has to gain by burning a bridge to take a far inferior player in Bryan Rust...or whatever...

It really seems to be an absolute certainty...it's been the worst kept secret out there for a while now...I don't even mean it from a logic perspective, every reporter worth his salt out there has talked about it like it's a done deal, Fleury seems to think that way, the Pens seem to think that way, it just sounds like it's already been buttoned up...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:42 pm

There had already been reports of a deal in place for Vegas to select Fleury, and that makes me believe that something had been signed by both GMs. Even if that's not the case, I don't see McPhee being dumb enough to pull a fast one and wind up being blackballed by every other GM in the league for being shady. It's just not smart.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:00 pm

As I said in the expansion draft thread, it came down to exposing one of Hornqvist, Rust, and Domoulin. I would have exposed Hornqvist, who has just one year left on his contract, over Rust, but Hornqvist is probably more important to the team at this moment, so I get it.
IMO, the only question to answer where the decision is Horny-Rust is which player is more essential to a threepeat, and the answer is obvious.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Hmm...with the Detroit debacle, if I'm one of the 3 - 5 people that will be following Vegas this year, I want nothing to do with fleury. I get that rust has his limits, but he's the better pick. Unless they're in the mood for asset accumulation first, I suppose...

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:05 pm

I assume most teams are operating under "controlled" circumstances...look at Anaheim for instance...

Moreover, we aren't the only team supplying players...who knows how many fast RHS RWs with limited finishing ability they will have to choose from...versus how many quality goaltenders will be available...

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:06 pm

I go to bed early, so I will not be following LV.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:15 pm

I assume most teams are operating under "controlled" circumstances...look at Anaheim for instance...

Moreover, we aren't the only team supplying players...who knows how many fast RHS RWs with limited finishing ability they will have to choose from...versus how many quality goaltenders will be available...
Haven't looked into it to verify but I've heard holland has stated he has no backdoor dealings going on. So Mrazek is likely on the table. As is Raanta and whatshisname from Washington.

I suppose there's a case to be made that you could take 3 of these goalies and flip one of them for someone better than rust. Lots of moving pieces...good thing they have the guy that traded foresberg for erat at the wheel to make sense of it all.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:16 pm

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:24 pm

What exposed player would you expect to have the most value at the '18 deadline (assume LV is out of it then) if you had to choose

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:40 pm

Of ours? Or overall?

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:40 pm

What exposed player would you expect to have the most value at the '18 deadline (assume LV is out of it then) if you had to choose
Joe Thornton