OFFICIAL GDT: GAME 5 PENS @. CAPS

Cagsjr724

Postby Cagsjr724 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:37 am

I have a bad feeling about this series now. Maybe it's because I'm used to this team breaking my heart. Hope I'm wrong.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun May 08, 2016 12:55 am

Source of the post I only made 1 rant in this thread so....
I was referring to mikey, actually.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun May 08, 2016 3:06 am

When you 'ranted' the first time I thought you were over-reacting for effect.

Does anyone think the series just shifted?

I initially picked Pens in 6. Sounds right. If they can't win 1 out of 3 (now 2) then they weren't going to be Cup winners anyway.

I only made 1 rant in this thread so....

If tampa gets stralman and stamkos back and stays healthy... this run goes from 16% (vegas odds at beginning of POs) to like 4% imo

If thats overreacting i guess i am. Pens needed to end this because tampa is going to dispatch the isles in 5
Why don't you take a breather and figure these numbers out again?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:21 am

Sounded like Hornqvist and others were benched in the third period.

Either way, I had the Pens in 6, too. Now they can finish them off at home, while the Caps have to sit on a 5 hour bus ride home after being bounced. I'll take it.

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Sun May 08, 2016 7:12 am

Still amazed that we got a slashing call behind the play in the playoffs, especially since it was described as a game in which "They're going to let em play Doc"... no obviously they were not. Pens didn't kill the stupid penalties and it put them behind the 8 ball.

Sullivan jerking the leash in the third on some guys is interesting - but I think he's putting it on the players to close this out. Capitals played their game, give them credit - but that's plenty easy to do when your benefiting from away from the puck slashing calls.

In net - go with Murray, switching now looks like a panic move, and if Fleury shows any rust at all you've shot yourself in the foot.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:16 am

Source of the post In net - go with Murray, switching now looks like a panic move, and if Fleury shows any rust at all you've shot yourself in the foot.
I can't imagine Sullivan gave any thought to switching goalies, despite what the NBC dummies say.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun May 08, 2016 7:23 am

Was a fairly even game but Holtby stole the show. What worries me is the Capitals played hockey instead out trying to out power the Pens. Still think the Pens close it out at home Tuesday.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sun May 08, 2016 10:02 am

Spineless! The lot of you!

Craig

Postby Craig » Sun May 08, 2016 10:05 am

Spineless! The lot of you!
Directed at the penguins? Thats fair. pop

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun May 08, 2016 10:24 am

Honest question -- why in the world is there even a THOUGHT of changing goalies at this point? That's as much of a panic move as anything. Murray has NOT lost either of these 2 games in this series. If you look at the 3 goals scored last night, you had one by one of the best players in the world in his 'spot' on the PP (with some subtle interference help) wide open...you had one of the best players in the world with another wide open shot from his 'spot' on the PP with his heavy shot that will often cause a rebound and it did and the defense wasn't able to tie up sticks...and you had a hideous giveaway leading to a clean breakaway and that shot was almost gobbled up anyway. Murray has built up plenty of equity in these first 2 series and it would be a slap in the face if they switched things up now. If you want to revisit this when they start the next series, I'd be game for that. But unless he turns into a ACHA goalie in Game 6, keep riding the kid.

I have noticed though that because he challenges the initial shot a little more than most goalies, he's a touch out of position if there is a loose rebound. I'm sure @meow can expand on this more but he's great at that initial save but then he's left scrambling to get back if the puck isn't in front of him.

Craig

Postby Craig » Sun May 08, 2016 10:27 am

Meow said he didnt like murray's stick positioning or something else that was over my head yesterday, but i agree that i cant aee how he could really be blamed. The dumo giveaway was still pretty far out and a clean look, but shouldnt have even been a shot attempt, so while it wasnt the best goal to give up, i still blame the defender.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun May 08, 2016 10:42 am

I would've put Fleury in after the third goal just to knock the rust off. Pens clearly didn't have it and MAF could've used half a game to see some pucks. Too late now.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun May 08, 2016 10:47 am

Pens win game 6; problem solved.

If necessary, go to church today to get your faith recharged. ;)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:02 am

The gameplan shouldn't be difficult for game 6. Don't take careless penalties, and continue playing the way we have for the past forever. We were clearly the better team at even strength last night.

IMFC

Postby IMFC » Sun May 08, 2016 11:32 am

Was a fairly even game but Holtby stole the show. What worries me is the Capitals played hockey instead out trying to out power the Pens. Still think the Pens close it out at home Tuesday.
Yeah, when he got Horny to not lift that puck up, that was an amazing play by him. At least 17 of our whopping 19 shots were perfect lasers. Holtby is the new Tuba Rasbs, ATG.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun May 08, 2016 1:03 pm

Yeah, when he got Horny to not lift that puck up, that was an amazing play by him. At least 17 of our whopping 19 shots were perfect lasers. Holtby is the new Tuba Rasbs, ATG.
The Penguins had 31 shots according to their smart phone application. Holtby made the big saves when he had to, Cole took a stupid penalty, and Dumo had a bad turnover, those are the differences that helped the Capitals win the game. I think the Pens wrap up the series at home.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun May 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Caps had 19 shots, we had 31

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun May 08, 2016 1:09 pm

How many goals have been shot into the net past Holtby in this entire playoffs...?

Craig

Postby Craig » Sun May 08, 2016 2:14 pm

How many goals have been shot into the net past Holtby in this entire playoffs...?
I actually just checked and its better than i even thought. Pretty amazing.

relantel

Postby relantel » Sun May 08, 2016 2:21 pm

12 goals in 5 games in this series - 3-2-3-3-1. Murray same total, 4-1-2-2-3.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun May 08, 2016 4:44 pm

I would've put Fleury in after the third goal just to knock the rust off. Pens clearly didn't have it and MAF could've used half a game to see some pucks. Too late now.
I don't think you give up on a game because you're down by 2 goals with 10 mins left

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun May 08, 2016 4:54 pm

IMFC

Postby IMFC » Sun May 08, 2016 5:55 pm

Sorry, 30 of our 31. My mistake. <rest of rant deleted> I respect his play. It's nothing remarkable.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun May 08, 2016 7:02 pm

I don't think you give up on a game because you're down by 2 goals with 10 mins left
Well, Murray had a save percentage that started with a .7 at that point. Had the Caps decided to actually shoot this could've been ugly. Not sure putting your starter and Stanley Cup winning goalie in is to 'give up.'

It doesn't matter, and the sky isn't falling. I just see it as a blown opportunity. Murray is showing wear and the real starter is an unknown quantity.

But, hey. I'm sure a "good time" will come along soon.

columbia

Postby columbia » Sun May 08, 2016 7:06 pm

I'd have to agree with dodint.