♣ OFFICIAL GDT: GAME ONE - PENS @ CAPS 4/28/16 - 8:00 EDT ♣

cma3585

Postby cma3585 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:05 pm

Agree with wicked, hurting these players financially isn't going to deter them. If that bill is $2k. Suspending them a game in the play-offs has more of an impact momentum wise potentially than any fiscal amount.
It will also piss off Trotz if he's not available for the game. Trotz doesn't care if Wilson is 2k lighter in the wallet.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Ok, so again, we know the money is not a thing other than he just gets documented as an offender...

But the thought is that Wilson would be deterred with a one game suspension...? And I'm not saying that in any other way than to just ask...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:22 pm

Considering that the NHL considers a suspension to count for something larger in the playoffs as opposed to regular season. I could see it more of a deterrent than $2500. That's all I'm saying.

The NHL is no more serious about injuries and protecting its players than the NFL is, which is a sad joke.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:30 pm

Ok, so again, we know the money is not a thing other than he just gets documented as an offender...

But the thought is that Wilson would be deterred with a one game suspension...? And I'm not saying that in any other way than to just ask...
To me it's not a deterrent as much as it is, as twc said, avoidance of him doing something like that again.

The knee on knee proves to me he would have no problem injuring someone and the NHL cannot have that. Even if he isn't intending to hurt anyone, he's pretty damn close to doing it anyway.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:00 pm

Perhaps the officials should be docked some pay as well for missing a hit egregious enough to merit a fine. Oh, wait, that might actually make sense and the NHL isn't like that when it comes to their officiating.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:06 am

Officials are reviewed, disciplined, selected on merit internally...so we really need to get past the "everyone should be fired" or "get new refs that are better" and that crap...they're looking for new refs all the time in the same way that teams look for new players to improve their product...they have development camps and really good leadership in that...

Plus, only so often would I even be looking in the direction of the bench during the game...that's where players are leaving the play, leaving the action and the ice...most penalties do not happen out and away from things in the NZ...that's more of a linesmen's area because it's more likely to be little scuffles and chintzy **** and too many men...that's not really in the forefront of the referee's mind...

So while it's easy to say, "hey, why didn't you see everything all the time?!?! I saw it after six replays from better vantage points than you...you're fired!" it doesn't produce anything meaningful...sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't...both refs are probably 100 feet away from that, and one of them is likely blocked out by the changing players from one side...if a linesman thought it was a major, they could have called it...

It's unfortunate, it's obviously a penalty, it was obviously missed...dems da breaks...what can you do? Penalizing the refs further doesn't make the play not happen...? And it doesn't prevent it from happening again...you're likely just taking a ref with a lot of NHL experience and replacing him with a ref with less NHL experience and less ability to handle the speed of this game...as someone that watches other leagues as well, these are the best refs...so getting rid of them, just leaves us in a worse spot (see: NFL)...hate the game, don't hate the player...

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:31 am

More reason for Dumo to plant Wilson into the bench. Nobody is looking.

;)

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:33 am

Wilson sitting a game would be significantly helpful to us...so yeah, I think it would be at least a mildly effective deterrent.

This fine puts him on notice for this year. I think he gets a game for the next one (which wouldn't even have to be as bad as the Sheary thing IMO)

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:45 am

More reason for Dumo to plant Wilson into the bench. Nobody is looking.

;)
I mean, I know it's kind of tongue-in-cheek, but honestly, you put this instigator thing in place and you try to put in these "no touching" rules - which have since been rescinded to a degree - and you get a lot more head injuries, guys are sticking each other in the groin, you got all these knee clackings, you get all kinds of stuff...

But I've been down this road before a million times...because each time the conversation goes the same way...too many players going too fast with too much body armor and no real recourse against foul play...meowshrug.rtf

columbia

Postby columbia » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:59 am

But it's a league decision for there to be "no real recourse."

That could change, but they don't seem interested.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:15 am

That's right. They do not.

Knowing that my apparently radical changes to the game would never be agreed upon by the union, then I would recommend turning it back on them...what do the players want? Let's hear from the guys playing game, not just the suits and not just the guys that used to play...

Let's go over some tape, let's go over some things, let's go over some suspensions, some things that were considered for suspension (maybe this Wilson hit) and let's get a feel for it...is this is what you want? Is this just punishment? Is this a deterrent in place of fighting because the league wants to diminish that - so that's now on the outs as a recourse after 106 years in the league (the actual NHL started in 1910, not 1917, they just disavow the NHA because of Livingstone) you're now shifting police duty towards the officials...so let's all sit and talk about that and how it went and how it's going...

That's all you can do really...refs aren't all of a sudden going to get x-ray vision...the instigator isn't going to allow players to figure it out themselves...the court-martialing system is only a big deal to Raffi Torres...so you need to have a larger conversation...is this right? *pointing to the Wilson hit and penalty* And it's not for the dingbat fans to decide, they don't even know the rules and it's not like revenue is down...it's up, with the league's lifeblood all failing...present it to the players and ask them...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:07 am

If a player is suspended in the playoffs, the team he plays for should not be allowed to replace him in the lineup, so they would effectively play down a man.

You want to get that kind of BS out of the game? That's how you're going to have to do it. Go nuclear.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:48 am

Let's take this a step further, hypothetically. Is a one game suspension a deterrent for a guy that plays 12 minutes?

Quibbling over the $2,500 vs. $5,000 is unnecessary analysis...that's a CBA thing, everyone knows it's silly...just like the $500 fine for throwing a football in the stands after a TD...no one cares, that's not the point of this discussion...
This is probably moot, but a game suspension also increases that effective fine substantially as regards forfeited salary. (I'm unsure how they calculate that for playoff games)

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sun May 01, 2016 10:44 am

If a player is suspended in the playoffs, the team he plays for should not be allowed to replace him in the lineup, so they would effectively play down a man.

You want to get that kind of BS out of the game? That's how you're going to have to do it. Go nuclear.
That's intriguing. The red card effect, for the games a player would be suspended for.

RoMo21

Postby RoMo21 » Sun May 01, 2016 11:27 am

That's intriguing. The red card effect, for the games a player would be suspended for.
It's a nice idea but it'd be counterproductive just like everything else the NHL does. They do this, they will be even less likely to hand out suspensions in the playoffs than they are now (if that's even possible).

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sun May 01, 2016 1:14 pm

Just get the supplemental discipline right and it's fine.

They didn't need to overthink the Wilson thing. He's a sh*t head who always does sh*t head things. Give him a game. No one will make any meaningful complaints. Give orpik 2 games because he did something terrible and he's looking to stir sh*t up every shift.

They've done a good job at reducing these incidents. But when they do happen, they need to get them right without worrying that their video they release won't be perfectly cogent

doublewinder

Postby doublewinder » Tue May 03, 2016 9:59 am

Anybody here go to the game?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 03, 2016 10:02 am

The more I look at it and think about it he shouldn't be suspended. But we'll see. I bet he gets a game