Daley talks about race

Avyran

Daley talks about race

Postby Avyran » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:06 am

Dave Molinari has an interesting article out, with a few different tidbits. One includes a talk with Trevor Daley about how his race has influenced him & hockey. Definitely worth a read.
Daley suggested race rarely has been an issue with his teammates — “All of the guys, for the most part, make you feel welcome,” he said. “Every dressing room I’ve been in has been great” — although he was at the center of one high-profile incident while playing junior hockey.

In 2003, former NHL goalie John Vanbiesbrouck quit as coach and general manager of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds after using a racial slur to describe Daley, who was captain of the team, while discussing him with other players.

“When somebody judges me because of my skin color and not because of who I am as a person … I think that if you met me, you’d think I’m a pretty cool guy,” said Daley, who acknowledged that he has experienced racism “a few times” since he began playing hockey.
The Pens have been interesting with this in the past: they've also had the only Korean players in the NHL play for them, in Richard Park & Jim Paek.

DigitalGypsy66

Daley talks about race

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:00 am

Hadn't heard that story about Beezer before... :shock:

Edit:
"I used the 'N' word instead of calling him Trevor," said Vanbiesbrouck, a former NHL goaltender who is also part-owner of the Greyhounds. "I used it just not thinking."
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/vanbies ... r-1.368545

Bobby Orr was Daley's agent at the time. Cool.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Daley talks about race

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:18 am

Hadn't heard that either. That's crazy.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Daley talks about race

Postby count2infinity » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:48 am

When I read the thread title, my first thought was playoff race, not racial discussions and was confused as to why Daley weighing in was important. Now I feel like an idiot. :lol:

That was a good read.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Daley talks about race

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:49 pm

I wouldn't imagine teammates or other players or coaches being racist. The fans on the other hand are horribly racist. Just look at the Subban crap that happened in Boston a few years ago

dodint

Daley talks about race

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:01 pm

I thought that was Joel Ward?

Or were Boston sports fans racist on more than one occasion? :pop:

Guinness

Daley talks about race

Postby Guinness » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:43 pm