When/If Malkin Returns This Season

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:45 am

This has been a point of discussion since the team started to get hot. Hegelin-Bonino-Kessel is a fantastic line and that may be because Malkin doesn't work as well with them because of his east/west neutral zone behavior. That second line is north/south the whole way down the rink.

I don't think the staff moves Malkin to a different line. I don't think Malkin would take it well if they suggested it. If he does come back and that line starts to take a nose dive what does the team do?

Personally I don't care about feelings but Malkin being the way he is (emotional and a bit of a baby from what I understand) would probably hurt the team if they put him with, for instance, Bennett and Rust (and taking Rust off that 3rd line would be a bad idea as well).

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:52 am

Crosby and Malkin on the same line.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:59 am

Yeah, I've heard Madden beat the move Malkin drum the past week or two. At first I thought it was crazy to suggest that one of the best players in the league get stuck with Kuhnhackl and Bennett (or whomever) in order to keep Bonino as the 2nd line center, but that Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel line is killing it right now and would be really hard to break up.

Does anyone know the stat difference for Hagelin and Kessel when playing with Malkin as opposed to Bonino? I'm too sick and lazy today to figure this out. I kind of remember Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel being really good for a while too.

I'd consider the two-headed monster line too, but my memory is that they never really produced as well as one would expect for any significant length of time.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:01 pm

...get stuck with Kuhnhackl and Bennett (or whomever)...
Lest we forget he once had success with Talbot and Fedetenko(sp?).

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:11 pm

Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel

Sorry, Nick.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:19 pm

Sorry, Phil*

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:21 pm

Does this inevitably open up the trade Malkin discussion even further if they remain incredibly successful, what happens if they lose out in the play-offs? :pop:

I'm super intrigued to see how this season ends.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:02 pm

I wouldn't be opposed to putting him with Sid and Horny

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:26 pm

I wouldn't be opposed to putting him with Sid and Horny
This or put him with Kuhn and Rust. 62-13-81 has been running over teams and I like the defensive responsibility Bonino brings to the line.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:29 pm

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kuhnhackl - Malkin - Rust
Haglien - Bonino - Kessel

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:30 pm

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kuhnhackl - Malkin - Rust
Haglien - Bonino - Kessel
I'm okay with that.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:32 pm

I'm okay with it too, Malkin just needs guys to open up space for him and feed him the puck.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:34 pm

I'd rather keep Cullen with the two rookies - both have shared multiple times about Cullen's influence on them - and give Malkin Fehr & Bennett/Sheary. Fehr has proven to have some scoring ability, and could play the Malone-esque role for him. Bennett (or Sheary) has skill. Next year it could be Fehr, Malkin, & Sprong.

This is a good problem to have.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:40 pm

I wouldn't put Geno and Sid on the same line, and I probably wouldn't break up the current Kessel line.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:58 pm

i wouldn't touch the 2nd line until it goes stale.

Pavement

Postby Pavement » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:03 pm

I would be ok with Malkin having Kuhnhackl and Rust. He's so good, he could make it work i think.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:10 pm

I like the idea of not touching the current second line, and not putting him with Sid. Assuming that you can pick a set of wingers besides Kunitz (Sid's bff), Hagelin and Kessel that work with him, could be a scenario like '09 where there were 3 lines that could get it done, and one of those lines would be getting a favorable match-up.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Sheary-Malkin-Fehr

Fehr assumes center duties in the defensive zone to allow Malkin to go out high. Fehr is a better faceoff man, and he's RHS - Malkin struggles on his wrong side considerably (not that he's good on his left either, but still...) so any icing/forced faceoff can be alleviated by Fehr's presence. Malkin can hang out high in the defensive zone and attack point men a la Lemieux, as opposed to getting down in the weeds which can be left to the much slower Fehr...Sheary and Malkin form a speed attack and the third man is likely Letang or Daley, who have the wheels to cover the entire rink...Fehr has a better-than-average shot from mid-range and could come in late as a trailer or drive the net for rebounds or join the cycle.

Just an idea...not a lock for success, but it's Sheary's best chance at survival in this league probably...Fehr and Bonino down the middle is a considerable lack of foot speed, so Fehr on the wing in all but defensive situations takes a bite out of that...over the last several years, the worst player on the roster has ended up as Geno's LW...Tangradi, Boychuk, etc. so even if Sheary doesn't work, it won't slow Malkin down any...

Just an idea until the Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel thing cools off...with their foot speed (minus Bones), they seem somewhat sustainable as a donut line...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:46 pm

Sheary-Malkin-Fehr
eh

Geno has made a career out of being successful with nobodies on his wings but I am a bit hesitant about this combination. I think Sheary and Fehr wouldn't be able to keep up with Geno's offensive capabilities and lower his ceiling.

I think Cullen and Rust (with Cullen taking the place of Fehr in the defensive zone in your scenario) is much more appetizing. Depending on how long Rust is out, Kuhnhackl can take his place.

Then our fourth line would be some combination of Kuhn, Fehr, Bennett and Sheary would work out (assuming we end up being fully healthy at whatever point)

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:10 pm

I was working under the guise of Cullen sticking with the kids...I also forgot Beau Bennett existed...

But yes, it's not an ideal deal...it's just an idea...ripe for rejection...

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:12 pm

I don't like the idea of sticking Cullen on a scoring line at all

Rx6687

Postby Rx6687 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:26 pm

I think they can have the best of both worlds here. I mean, it is nowhere written that Bonino can't continue to get shifts on the Kessel-Hagelin line. Sullivan had Crosby out there with Sheary and Bennett last night. I love the idea of keeping the opposition guessing.....

...I also like the idea of either Crosby, Malkin, or Kessel going up against the opposing team's third defense pairing, which is what will happen if they each have their own line.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:45 pm

Yeah, I am on the side that the 2nd line is absolutely untouchable until, as shmenguin said, it goes stale. Figure something else out.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:30 pm

Geno-Sid-Hornqvist??

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:03 am

Sheary-Malkin-Fehr

Fehr assumes center duties in the defensive zone to allow Malkin to go out high. Fehr is a better faceoff man, and he's RHS - Malkin struggles on his wrong side considerably (not that he's good on his left either, but still...) so any icing/forced faceoff can be alleviated by Fehr's presence. Malkin can hang out high in the defensive zone and attack point men a la Lemieux, as opposed to getting down in the weeds which can be left to the much slower Fehr...Sheary and Malkin form a speed attack and the third man is likely Letang or Daley, who have the wheels to cover the entire rink...Fehr has a better-than-average shot from mid-range and could come in late as a trailer or drive the net for rebounds or join the cycle.

Just an idea...not a lock for success, but it's Sheary's best chance at survival in this league probably...Fehr and Bonino down the middle is a considerable lack of foot speed, so Fehr on the wing in all but defensive situations takes a bite out of that...over the last several years, the worst player on the roster has ended up as Geno's LW...Tangradi, Boychuk, etc. so even if Sheary doesn't work, it won't slow Malkin down any...

Just an idea until the Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel thing cools off...with their foot speed (minus Bones), they seem somewhat sustainable as a donut line...
i think you sold me on this