Penguins Sign College UFA D - Ethan Prow

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:58 am

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... t-penguins
The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed college free agent defenseman Ethan Prow to a two-year, entry-level contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Jim Rutherford.

The contract will begin with the 2016-17 season and run through the 2017-18 campaign, and it's a two-way deal.

Prow will report to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on an amateur tryout contract this year.

Prow, 23, is a finalist for the 2015-16 Hobey Baker Award as the top college hockey player after helping St. Cloud State win the National Collegiate Hockey Conference crown in his senior season, a year which saw him lead all NCAA blueliners in points and assists.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:02 am

Can we just drag the posts from the regular thread into this...?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:05 am

Morkle. Late but always reliable.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:32 am

No, I'm not late - create new threads instead of using one giant convoluted thread that houses multiple newsworthy items. The current process and the way things are posted are not user-friendly in any way to a person who may be looking at the site and are considering joining.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:39 am

Yeah, I'm with Morkle on this one. Especially with things as cut-and-dry as signings and trades

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:40 am

I agree... it's fine in off topic and around the rink to have mega threads, but here, each piece of news should have its own thread and separate discussions. It's better for the site, it's better for casual Pens forum watchers, it's better for everyone (except maybe the few people that want everything in one little place).

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:45 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyMIxP72hr4

From what I've read: 5'11" 185 lbs, solid puck moving, pp qb guy at St. Cloud State...

@mikey any word on this dude?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:46 am

Pandering to a crowd too dumb to use the giant search button on the top of the page invites a dumb crowd, but it's your show.
Yeah, I'm with Morkle on this one. Especially with things as cut-and-dry as signings and trades
I don't disagree at all. My contention is that a discussion has already started using the convention the community has adopted on its own. If you someone wants to change that for marketing reasons, fine, that makes business sense. But go ahead and pull the other discussion over to the single topic thread to help out the users whose behavior you're trying to change.

But to my original snark, I don't think for a second Morkle searched "Prow", saw that we already talked about it, and then created a new thread.

Hey, everybody that already discussed this topic, please repeat everything verbatim for the sake of people that aren't even here yet.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:46 am

Damn it, I got suckered in...is it hard to move posts in this ***** or what? :lol:
Source of the post Caught just a glimpse of highlights...RHS d-man with a really good shot...might be a better lateral skater than straight line with that really short stride he has...but he can shoot...I'll try to catch a glimpse of him in WBS...

Learned that Prow was so effective as a PP QB in college this year that St. Cloud State's power play was affectionately referred to as the "Prower Play"...it ranked second in the country behind powerhouse Michigan at 29.5%...

Term coined by radio announcer...only a matter of time before Errey picks up on that...Steigy will likely use that term even if Prow never plays an NHL game...
So, no, I don't know much about him. I don't watch a ton of college hockey because it's not that good.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:47 am

Thanks mikey!

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:50 am

Averaged about 1.5 shots per game, so he's definitely more of a puck distributor than shooter, though he looks to have a decent shot. No idea what to make of 24 penalty minutes in 149 career games.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:53 am

For signings, trades, and other areas that are big news items, this is the way we would like the discussion to be handled. Individual threads. It's better for the site, plain and simple. I'm not telling you to not discuss it over in the regular season thread, I'm not telling you that you, personally, have to make a new thread for these things. What I am telling you is that when it comes to our preference, we'd like to see individual threads so that it makes the site more user friendly to the "dumb crowd" such as myself who come to the pens section, only see one thread with new posts and figure not much has happened, so I move on. It also helps with our SEO so when people search for a place to come talk about the penguins, we're higher up in the engine searches.

That being the case, we (morkle has been doing the bulk of this, but other admins will continue the same path) will continue to make new threads on topics that are worthy of discussion in their own thread.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:55 am

Damn it, I got suckered in...is it hard to move posts in this ***** or what? :lol:
Source of the post Caught just a glimpse of highlights...RHS d-man with a really good shot...might be a better lateral skater than straight line with that really short stride he has...but he can shoot...I'll try to catch a glimpse of him in WBS...

Learned that Prow was so effective as a PP QB in college this year that St. Cloud State's power play was affectionately referred to as the "Prower Play"...it ranked second in the country behind powerhouse Michigan at 29.5%...

Term coined by radio announcer...only a matter of time before Errey picks up on that...Steigy will likely use that term even if Prow never plays an NHL game...
So, no, I don't know much about him. I don't watch a ton of college hockey because it's not that good.
lol, the Prower Play. That's definitely going to be an Errey/Steigy favorite if he make the NHL. With Pouliot up here, who QBs the PP in WBS now?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:56 am

I agree, as stated.

I disagree that parallel discussions are less confusing.

Parallel discussion do boost SEO, though. So there you go.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:56 am

Pandering to a crowd too dumb to use the giant search button on the top of the page invites a dumb crowd, but it's your show.
I don't disagree at all. My contention is that a discussion has already started using the convention the community has adopted on its own. If you someone wants to change that for marketing reasons, fine, that makes business sense. But go ahead and pull the other discussion over to the single topic thread to help out the users whose behavior you're trying to change.

But to my original snark, I don't think for a second Morkle searched "Prow", saw that we already talked about it, and then created a new thread.

Hey, everybody that already discussed this topic, please repeat everything verbatim for the sake of people that aren't even here yet.
The world doesn't work your way. The search function is never used, but it's not even about the convenience of one thread. This is about making the site, specifically the "biggest" section of this site look active. One thread doesn't cut it.

This wasn't the way on LGP, and shouldn't be here.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:57 am

I agree, as stated.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:58 am

There's a reason it's called dodinting around these parts... :lol:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:59 am

I agree, as stated.

Parallel discussions do not boost SEO, having a single thread with the title as the subject does far better than people sporadically talking about it across various threads. Considering the absolute relevance of the subject is being discussed, we've given Google and other search engines less places to look for the topical discussion at hand.

Which is why, parallel discussions shouldn't be happening in the first place if new threads are created and compartmentalized.

That all being said SEO IS a benefactor of simple user experience, and it's a poor experience to have one topic with a mass amount of information inside of it.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:07 am

lol, the Prower Play. That's definitely going to be an Errey/Steigy favorite if he make the NHL. With Pouliot up here, who QBs the PP in WBS now?
Probably Will O'Neill. I haven't watched a WBS game in a couple months probably. I'll check in with them again during the playoffs...

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:08 am

Averaged about 1.5 shots per game, so he's definitely more of a puck distributor than shooter, though he looks to have a decent shot. No idea what to make of 24 penalty minutes in 149 career games.
He's probably not good defensively and probably soft. I'm guessing this is just a softer Adam Clendening with slightly better lateral skating, worse straight line skating...but I don't want to continue to say things without watching him play in an actual game...

Tico Rick

Postby Tico Rick » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:11 am

For signings, trades, and other areas that are big news items, this is the way we would like the discussion to be handled. Individual threads. It's better for the site, plain and simple. I'm not telling you to not discuss it over in the regular season thread, I'm not telling you that you, personally, have to make a new thread for these things. What I am telling you is that when it comes to our preference, we'd like to see individual threads so that it makes the site more user friendly to the "dumb crowd" such as myself who come to the pens section, only see one thread with new posts and figure not much has happened, so I move on. It also helps with our SEO so when people search for a place to come talk about the penguins, we're higher up in the engine searches.

That being the case, we (morkle has been doing the bulk of this, but other admins will continue the same path) will continue to make new threads on topics that are worthy of discussion in their own thread.
:thumb:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:13 am

Source of the post Parallel discussions do not boost SEO, having a single thread with the title as the subject does far better than people sporadically talking about it across various threads.

Which is why, parallel discussions shouldn't be happening in the first place if new threads are created and compartmentalized.
You don't think having keywords show up twice as much and on different places on a domain boosts SEO? Interesting.

Showing up late, creating a thread about what people have already begun talking about, and not taking the extra two minutes to move the discussion over to the new thread is what creates a parallel discussion. Moving the discussion would make for the highest quality thread which is what we all ultimately want. I've modded phpBB, it's not some Herculean task.

I'm off to Chicago in a few minutes, so I'll simply restate that I'm not against single topic threads at all. I'm against restarting a discussion that is already underway (for the sake of SEO/user experience/whatever) without moving the original discussion over if you have that ability. You claim that your creation of a new thread is for the betterment of the community as a whole, but the lack of follow through just shows you do not actually value the discussion but rather just appearances. You'll note that the request to move the posts and create a single discussion didn't even originate from me, so I'm not just dodinting to dodint, it's a user requested action.

Thanks for helping kill the 45 minutes before this meeting. Have a good one. 8-)

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:16 am

I'm going to move all dodint posts to the correct location... the toilet store.
I'm kidding. I understand what you're saying dodint. This is a relatively new thing that we're trying to break the habit. Growing pains sort of thing. We're not going move anything in this particular case, but in the future that will be the route we'll take.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:18 am

:lol:

I'd say we should split off and form our own board...but really we can just rent out a sub-forum here and post everything in one big thread...

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:19 am

I'm going to move all dodint posts to the correct location... the toilet store.
I'm kidding. I understand what you're saying dodint. This is a relatively new thing that we're trying to break the habit. Growing pains sort of thing. We're not going move anything in this particular case, but in the future that will be the route we'll take.
Then what the **** will I have to complain about?

Oh. The Walking Dead. Right. Thanks.