Preseason thread

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Preseason thread

Postby meow » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Sprong will have to church up the story of his first NHL goal. "I walked off the wall uncontested, beefed a stickhandle and recover enough to slip it 5-hole" isn't the prettiest of stories.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Preseason thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:39 pm

gif of Sprong's goal?

Avyran

Preseason thread

Postby Avyran » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:54 pm

gif of Sprong's goal?
I gave a link to a page that had gifs of every goal on the last page, just FYI; here's Sprong's goal.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Preseason thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:56 pm

oh my bad

yeah, that's a terrible job on the PK and smart play by Sprong to attack the net.

Morkle

Preseason thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:05 pm

I just don't think Gonch should make it based on the powerplay. It appears he's going to be incredibly shielded and really that hinders on the growth of young players because they'll have to be shielded somewhat too.

Craig

Preseason thread

Postby Craig » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:15 pm

Id rather reserve that potected spot for pouliot. Invest in the guy thats going to grow and may be better now as well.

That said i didnt watch the game and probably wont watch any pens preseason.

Hugo Stiglitz

Preseason thread

Postby Hugo Stiglitz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:49 pm

What's the rule on players in the Q getting a few NHL games in at the start of the season?
Last edited by Hugo Stiglitz on Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugo Stiglitz

Preseason thread

Postby Hugo Stiglitz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:51 pm

I just don't think Gonch should make it based on the powerplay. It appears he's going to be incredibly shielded and really that hinders on the growth of young players because they'll have to be shielded somewhat too.
The nostalgia was nice, but he shouldn't make this squad. My hope is that he retires and gets some kind of position on the coaching or team staff.

mikey

Preseason thread

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:00 pm

What's the rule on players in the Q getting a few NHL games in at the start of the season?
9 NHL games or less will not burn a year of his ELC, if that's what you're referring to...

Hugo Stiglitz

Preseason thread

Postby Hugo Stiglitz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:03 pm

9 NHL games or less will not burn a year of his ELC, if that's what you're referring to...
That and I wanted to know about the waiver issues. I don't really know anything about that stuff.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Preseason thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:13 pm

Too bad you missed the expansion draft on here. You'd know more about waiver rules than you'd ever need to

mikey

Preseason thread

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:15 pm

That and I wanted to know about the waiver issues. I don't really know anything about that stuff.
What waiver issue is that? He's years away from losing his waiver exemption. But if you ask a more specific question, I can provide you a more specific answer certainly...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Preseason thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:49 pm

gif of Sprong's goal?
I gave a link to a page that had gifs of every goal on the last page, just FYI; here's Sprong's goal.

When this was live and I was at the game, I was too busy watching Gerbe and Letang going at it :face:

Hugo Stiglitz

Preseason thread

Postby Hugo Stiglitz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:11 pm

What waiver issue is that? He's years away from losing his waiver exemption. But if you ask a more specific question, I can provide you a more specific answer certainly...
Like I said, I'm really not well-versed in these areas, but I guess I'm trying to ask if he starts the season and plays the nine games does he have to go on re-entry waivers?

Craig

Preseason thread

Postby Craig » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:26 pm

No hed still be years away from having waivers apply. Hed just go back to his team and if he were to come back the next season hed just be back on the team.

On a side note, do re-entry waivers still exist?

Hugo Stiglitz

Preseason thread

Postby Hugo Stiglitz » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:28 pm

No hed still be years away from having waivers apply. Hed just go back to his team and if he were to come back the next season hed just be back on the team.

On a side note, do re-entry waivers still exist?
Cool thanks...

If he continues to have a strong pre-season, I think it would be behoove the Pens to give him a taste of competition against real starting lineups.

MR25

Preseason thread

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:28 pm

gif of Sprong's goal?

When this was live and I was at the game, I was too busy watching Gerbe and Letang going at it :face:
I saw him start walking to the middle of the ice and was in the middle of saying "I can't believe they're leaving him that open" when he scored.

shmenguin

Preseason thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:33 pm

Bringing maatta in as a rookie has made his next contract cheaper. Would have been the case even if he was healthy. I don't think it's a definitively bad thing to burn that first year.

Edit...forgot maatta wasn't on the big squad his first year. Point still stands.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Preseason thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:56 pm

The defense for the next game is going to be brutal. Lovejoy and Pouliot will be the top pairing.http://penguins.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=780289

LeCroKin5871

Preseason thread

Postby LeCroKin5871 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:03 pm

gif of Sprong's goal?

The question I have is, was that a subtle fake shot he did there... or did he just loose the puck for a second before regathering it and shooting?

Very nice to see him take the space given and get that wicked shot of his off. One of the more exciting prospects to keep and eye on. Lets just hope the Flying Dutchman continues his development!

Gaucho

Preseason thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:04 pm

He lost the puck.

mikey

Preseason thread

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:04 pm

Like I said, I'm really not well-versed in these areas, but I guess I'm trying to ask if he starts the season and plays the nine games does he have to go on re-entry waivers?
No, this player won't be eligible for any kind of waivers for years. And re-entry waivers have not existed since 2012, they would not apply in this situation anyhow.

Re-entry waivers, in short and simple, were when a veteran player was sent down to the minors, he would need go through re-entry waivers to come back up...re-entry waivers allowed the claiming team to get him half price (i.e. half his salary). Though, you can just go right back to not remembering that because they no longer exist.

Sprong signed his ELC already. So, if he plays 9 NHL games or less this season and we return him to juniors, a year of his contract is not burned and a season is not accrued (towards free agency). If he plays more than 9 games, a season is burned. However, we can still send him back to juniors at any point...though it's not that beneficial or common...

The most likely scenario is that at some point during this preseason, Sprong will be returned to junior. Stand-out Flyers d-men Ivan Provorov and Travis Sanheim were both returned yesterday and they are far better players than Sprong applying for a far weaker position on their NHL club...

LeCroKin5871

Preseason thread

Postby LeCroKin5871 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:09 pm

He lost the puck.
Looking at the last .gif from the backside camera, you can definitely see that Ward reacted to that little pump when the puck left Sprong's stick. It pretty much froze him. That's why I was questioning whether it could have been intentional. Either way, love the play.

Gaucho

Preseason thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:12 pm

It would be very impressive if he did that on purpose.

Dan H

Preseason thread

Postby Dan H » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:53 pm

It would be very impressive if he did that on purpose.
I think it's pretty impressive how quickly he recovers even if he just mishandled the puck. He barely moves his head to glance down to look for it. When I lose the puck, generally I spin around stupidly for like three or four seconds looking for it while my teammates are yelling "feet, feet!" from the bench.