What If The Pens Dont Make The Playoffs?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:22 am

the thing about the metro, and the east in general, is that I would not be surprised if any of the 8 teams make the SC finals. The Pens could very well do it, the Isles can, the Rags can, the Caps can, the Canadiens can, the Wings can, the Lightning can (but are the least likely imo) and the Bruins can.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:31 am

I don't think the Isles or Wings are legitimate contenders with their defense...it would take a heroic effort from Halak and Mrazek I think...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:38 am

if this thing happens that certainly won't...i guess the coach might be in trouble.

can't do anything about the players, really.

darkstar57

Postby darkstar57 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:19 am

the thing about the metro, and the east in general, is that I would not be surprised if any of the 8 teams make the SC finals. The Pens could very well do it, the Isles can, the Rags can, the Caps can, the Canadiens can, the Wings can, the Lightning can (but are the least likely imo) and the Bruins can.
I agree with this (and what mikey said about the islanders & Detriot)

i can see any team in the east making it to the finals. Its a matter of getting hot in the playoffs and staying out.

Robot B9

Postby Robot B9 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:20 am

People really think we're going to give up a five point cushion with five games to go...that's a little silly...
Yea the chances of that happening are slim. Knowing this team, we win both games this weekend and basically clinch, then lose the last 3
I don't think it's silly at all. I don't think it will happen, but considering the Pens look like a pu pu platter of comic vomit, CBJ had won 8 straight, PHI has us in a gimp suit chained in steam trunk and we're still getting injuries that are forcing loads of line switches, losing 4 out of 5 is on the table.

Couple that with Ottawa continuing to win and this jigsaw puzzle of impossible fail could see its last piece plunked in with Marv Albert-like authority.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:23 am

I use the money I'd spend on playoff tickets and go on vacation.

cadams

Postby cadams » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:36 am

I think once the nail a play-off spot down, this is still a relevant topic - it would just become "What happens if the Pens lose in the first round?"
If?

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:57 am

I think once the nail a play-off spot down, this is still a relevant topic - it would just become "What happens if the Pens lose in the first round?"
If?
Yes, if.

If I'm putting money on it I say the pens win maybe 1 playoff game, but one thing I love about hockey is that things really can change come playoff time.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:06 pm

PFiDC, don't you know that it's a forgone conclusion that the Pens will be swept in the first round because some people on the internet said it'll happen?

Craig

Postby Craig » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:07 pm

So you'll admit that theyre going to get swept once the playoffs start.

large garlic

Postby large garlic » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:11 pm

People really think we're going to give up a five point cushion with five games to go...that's a little silly...
Yea the chances of that happening are slim. Knowing this team, we win both games this weekend and basically clinch, then lose the last 3
I don't think it's silly at all. I don't think it will happen, but considering the Pens look like a pu pu platter of comic vomit, CBJ had won 8 straight, PHI has us in a gimp suit chained in steam trunk and we're still getting injuries that are forcing loads of line switches, losing 4 out of 5 is on the table.

Couple that with Ottawa continuing to win and this jigsaw puzzle of impossible fail could see its last piece plunked in with Marv Albert-like authority.
Very eloquently put. I wouldn't bet on the Pens missing the playoffs either, but it's not that hard to imagine the Pens going 1-4 and Ottawa going 4-1. That's all it would take for the Pens to miss out.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:32 pm

the Sens aren't the only variable. For the Pens to miss the playoffs, the Islanders, Bruins and Capitals also have to finish very strong. If we win tomorrow, we're back in second in the division and are less likely to miss the playoffs than the Isles, Caps and Bruins just from a statistical standpoint.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:38 pm

Let's compare some schedules...

Pens: Blue Jackets (Away), Flyers (A), Sens (A), Isles (Home), Sabres (A). I think it'll be very easy to go 1-4 the rest of the way, but I'd guess 2-3 more likely... beating the Sabres & either the Isles or Flyers.
Sens: Caps (H), Leafs (A), Pens (H), Rangers (A), Flyers (A). Their next game'll tell the story, I think. Don't see them beating the Rangers unless the Rangers go full-rest mode, but I see them beating the Leafs & Flyers. Caps & Pens are the games that'll really say if it's interesting.

MIMH's correct, though; Isles are playing just as badly as we are and are just as capable of missing the playoffs. They're 2-6-2 in the last 10.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:54 pm

oh and for the record, I'm picking the Pens to win the cup. Not that this team is any different, I always pick my teams to win. Before the Broncos going 3-13 in 2010 I had them winning the Super Bowl.

I like having hope.

Clams Herbert

Postby Clams Herbert » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:10 pm

oh and for the record, I'm picking the Pens to win the cup. Not that this team is any different, I always pick my teams to win. Before the Broncos going 3-13 in 2010 I had them winning the Super Bowl.

I like having hope.
:thumb:

darkstar57

Postby darkstar57 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:28 pm

I like having hope.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:31 pm

I also have the Pens winning the Cup when it comes time to bracket-filling...it's remotely reasonable and it's what I'm rooting for...easy call...

Craig

Postby Craig » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:34 pm

I never pick my favorite team to win. By doing that, i double my chances of something good happening.

Solidsnake

Postby Solidsnake » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Gonna be tough to win when you can't score

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:57 pm

Ottawa would have to go 4-1 at worst, including a win against PIT, and the Pens would have to go 1-4. That would be OTT 98, PIT 97

Not likely, but given the way the team has played, is it really completely out of the question to lose to Columbus, Philly, and Ottawa away the next 3 games, especially if Malkin is out?

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:07 pm

If we think that motivation/effort are major causes for recent losses, then I hope the idea of possibly missing the playoffs would get them ready to beat teams out of the playoffs

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:12 pm

Seth Rorabaugh asked a lot of the Pens about the prospect of missing the playoffs (this sentence is a link to the article). Quoting Lovejoy's response because of his honesty.
Ben Lovejoy, D - “Everybody in the room would be lying if we said we didn't know where we are in the standings. I look at it every day. Everybody looks at it every day. We do have a sense of urgency that we're not in the playoffs … we haven't clinched. We need to fight our way in. We need to win games to get in the playoffs. I think that's a good mentality and a necessary mentality to have. I think if clinch with 12 games left, you're able to coast through those last 12 because deep down in the back of your mind, you know you've accomplished your goal. And right now, we haven't accomplished our goal. And we need to get better these last games. Not necessarily win out. We need to win enough games to get in but we need to feel like we're playing our best hockey. Certainly, after the Philadelphia game [Wednesday], we don't feel that way in this room."

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:13 pm

I like Lovejoy's honesty in interviews. I've noticed he's pretty good with that sort of stuff.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:22 pm

Yeah he is brutally honest which is a nice change of pace. Not afraid to call himself out either when he makes a bad play.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:31 pm

i don't believe that the players are actually concerned about not making the playoffs, so this is just more blahblahblah
We do have a sense of urgency that we're not in the playoffs
he's a good quote, but he's still a cliche generator