5AF Fantasy Baseball Dynasty League

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:03 pm

If you changed the prospect limit rules to the aforementioned, that wouldn't impact much.

Example: Kris Bryant. Called up 2 weeks into the season, should easily surpass 500 AB, but under your proposal I could keep him on the farm team even longer.

beerman

Postby beerman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:30 pm

If you changed the prospect limit rules to the aforementioned, that wouldn't impact much.

Example: Kris Bryant. Called up 2 weeks into the season, should easily surpass 500 AB, but under your proposal I could keep him on the farm team even longer.
I think Bryant would be in the extreme minority though. I'm not saying it'd be a perfect solution but it ends up being really simple to follow. While on the occasion you have a stud like Bryant that you actually get to keep longer in most cases they'll hit FA around the same time or considerably earlier. If you hit on the mega prospect like Bryant then that owner reaps the benefits.

I went back to last year and picked the first five teams I came across on the lgp thread for this league that declared prospects being signed (my team, Kraft, cooper, Sdd and loaf). Those five teams signed 16 expiring prospects to contracts: 8 retained prospect eligibility for at least 3 seasons where they made an MLB appearance. 7 surpassed their limits during their second season (which correlates to my proposal) and 1, Jose Abreu, hit that plateau in just his first season.

Its definitely a limited sample but I don't think it's really a misrepresentation of the number of prospects who end up hanging around in no mans land with this league. Our current setup is nice because it allows a lot of time to see what you have in a guy but I think it's better for the league to force teams into decisions early or get those guys in the draft. The 8 who were prospects longer under our current setup: Matt Adams, Jake Odorizzi, Yan Gomes, Kole Calhoun, Garrett Richards, Jarred Cosart and Danny Duffy. They're not all world beaters but they could've helped teams in this league last year when I'd guess they spent 95% of the year in FA status.

I think if we coupled shorter time for prospects with allowing them to be used on the MLB team as their owner sees fit it would really help build the best rosters possible. On occasion this proposal would suck if you have a guy make his debut as a Sept call up and then starts the next year with the big club and suffers a big injury but that's just a bad break and would be few and far between.

beerman

Postby beerman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:43 am

One additional thing, regardless of which method we use to determine prospect eligibility, can we stop allowing players who've already made their MLB debuts but we're unowned at the time to be prospect eligible in the next draft?

I've done it in the past with Allen Craig, I think Salazar fit into that when he was taken and Souza was this season and I'm pretty sure there have been a few others. Even though they were under the normal prospect guidelines I think it would be an improvement to make those players only eligible to be signed to a contract and not stashed away for a year.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:59 am

I'm not necessarily opposed to any farm changes, but I guess I'm curious what the end game of any of the suggested changes would be?

If we were to allow free access to farm players during the season, would they hit the cap at all?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:18 pm

Still curious, if I buy a guy out using my buyout years mid-season does his contract still count toward the cap?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:19 pm

I can definitely get on board with Beerman's latest idea. Any player who appeared in the MLB prior to being owned is no longer farm eligible.

I just can't see the point of allowing free access to farm players without signing them to a contract first.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:20 pm

Still curious, if I buy a guy out using my buyout years mid-season does his contract still count toward the cap?
Are you using your 10 free buyout years? If so, no. That is what those are intended for.

The only way contract years would still count would be if you went over 10 free buyouts.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Are you using your 10 free buyout years? If so, no. That is what those are intended for.

The only way contract years would still count would be if you went over 10 free buyouts.
Gracias, just making sure

beerman

Postby beerman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm not necessarily opposed to any farm changes, but I guess I'm curious what the end game of any of the suggested changes would be?

If we were to allow free access to farm players during the season, would they hit the cap at all?
My goal is to put the best players on rosters and not have so many good ones sitting on the waiver wire. With the size of this league there is always going to be some really quality players out there but not to the degree that there always is here.

That would be up for discussion, we could make it so that they come up for nothing or we could make it that they cost 1 year against the cap, just so you have to make space for every active player you have. By no means is my suggestion a fully polished one, it would need cleaned up but I think that allowing access to your farm players along with them not being kept so damn long would add to this league.

Honestly, I don't see how a league is better competitively having Kris Bryant, Joc Pederson, George Springer, Mookie Betts & Stephen Souza, all top 100 guys sitting on the wire instead of on their respective teams. I fully realize Colby's corner IF situation would actually take a hit if he added Bryant over Miggy, Goldy or Donaldson (that's an f'ing insane collection) but that isn't the case for the rest and is probably about the only time a top 50 guy would actually be a downgrade somewhere.
I just can't see the point of allowing free access to farm players without signing them to a contract first.
Maybe it doesn't have to be free access but right now the system, in my opinion, pretty much discourages you from using farm players. There's really no incentive to sign someone prior to their farm status being exhausted so the only way to get use of them is if you have someone else get injured. Could we incentivize signing a farm player before their status runs out?

I was happy when Homer Bailey needed TJ because it meant I could keep Wacha up for the year, if it weren't for that injury I'd be rostering a middle of the road Bailey instead of a much better Wacha.

The idea is a system more along the lines of what you see in baseball could better the league. You draft a prospect you have control for a set period of time and have the ability to use him as you see fit during that time period.

beerman

Postby beerman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:59 pm

If it looks like I'm pushing for drastic change I'm not. While I agree that a large portion of this leagues problem is participation, there also has to be reason for that non-participation.

I think this league could still be bettered by evaluating some other changes and they don't have to be mine. If we just assume that the issues are 100% participation based and we don't try to evaluate the status of the league at the same time that would be a mistake, imo.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:23 pm

This makes sense. I actually like the idea of basing farm status on MLB service time. Set a maximum for service time. Prior to that maximum, the player can play on your team for the price of a cap hit of 1.

Not only does it get the top young players on teams, but there's a trickle-down effect where better players are available to sign or ise as injury replacements.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:12 pm

How did I gain 6.5 points in a day?

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:48 am

fffuuuuu my OBP has gone in the shitter. Looks like this is going to be a battle of my OBP vs. Colby's WHIP.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:42 am

Iwakuma back from DL, Cain released from being a replacement.
Zimmerman to the DL, Teixeira as his replacement,
Sanchez to DL, Valbuenno as his replacement.

EDIT: Actually, I can send Sanchez back down since he was up from my farm team and put another gimp on the DL.
So as it stands now:
Holliday - DL
Zimmerman - DL
Alvarez - DL
Holland - DL
Wheeler - DL

Teixeira - FA Replacement
Valbueno - FA Replacement
Volquez - FA Replacement
Ventura - Farm Team Replacement
Hendricks - Farm Team Replacement

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:34 am

So, I don't think loaf and schreib made the jump to 5af? Those two seem to be consistent nonparticipants once the actual season gets rolling. Troy seemed to make some remark suggesting he might not want to stay in at some point, but he seems to be in the game this year. Assuming Troy sticks around, I guess we need loaf, schreib, Sille/Kicksave owner replacements to work on the participant part of the discussion last month. First dibs to anyone here, but I assume we would've found them by now if out there.

So, does anyone have any possible replacements?

Seems like we should get that done and then discuss what other changes we might want to put into place. I think we'd want to start those changes on either a grandfathered basis or just across the board beginning at 2017 draft/season?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:58 am

Post in General Discussion as well. For instance I'd love to get in on the Hockey Fantasy League, but since it's full I don't check the thread. I'd never know there was an opening.

Craig

Postby Craig » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:24 pm

I think someone me tioned this, but why dont we just roster all 42 players and then have the same rules with regards to who needs a contract and who doesnt? Season after someone loses eligibility they need a contract, but in the meantime, they can play since theyre on the roster.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:51 am

I am fine with that.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:35 pm

What's really annoying is teams that don't follow the DL rules and keep healthy guys on it.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:47 am

What's going on with DL guys?

beerman

Postby beerman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:14 am

I have a potential replacement for one of the non-participating teams. He's not on the board but he thought the set-up was pretty interesting and he knows his stuff.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:53 am

That's great. I guess we should rank the teams to be replaced?

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:14 am

So what are the teams that we are looking to replace and has anyone sent them a message to see if they are still interested?

beerman

Postby beerman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:32 am

sille, loaf and schreibdog. Given that they haven't even checked the league on yahoo since April 17, April 23 & May 26 I think we can just assume they aren't.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:32 am

Sille, loaf31, schreibdog

Ive had a PM to loaf in my outbox for weeks. Hes made one post on 5AF.

Some former managers we could reach out to regarding rejoining: @mwb @willeyeam @kicksave

I wonder if @malkinismyhomeboy would be interested given his redsox fandom