5AF Fantasy Baseball Dynasty League

Cooper7108

Postby Cooper7108 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:07 pm

The only thing that sucks is that there isn't a database of our minor leaguers on Yahoo. On more than one aoccasion I've gone to sign a DL replacement only to find he's owned on somebody's Farm team.
wouldn't be as bad if everyone kept the google doc up to date.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:06 am

If the problem is league members either (a) having insufficient interest in the league in general or (b) lack of interest once hope for winning is lost (which seems to happen very early for some folks if that is really what is happening), rule changes are not likely to fix the problem. The problem seems to be at least (b), which, a switch to head-to-head will probably only delay the point in time where disinterest sets in. That doesn't seem worth it since H2H baseball sucks.

If the league is too involved, I would think we would be losing people at the draft, not during the season--after most of the "involved" stuff has been finished.

The fact that we haven't heard from the non-participating offenders seems telling to me that the problem lies with people not the league/rules. I'd rather try to get more committed managers than change the rules and find ourselves in the same spot.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Is there a way to have the same person be able to manage multiple teams? As a way to have all of the farn players rostered, each team could have two teams, with the second team consisting of all unsigned farm players. The farm teams could be in a separate division but the rule would be that no lineup could be set for the farm teams. If a manager had access to both teams, he would be able to make manage the farm team so he could move the farm players up to the main roster if needed.

beerman

Postby beerman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:42 am

I agree with most who have posted that the biggest issue is participation.

I'm not sure what's easier, trying to find somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 people willing to pay attention this league or trying to adjust the rules so that more of the people we do have actually care.

Either way I think we need to pick one of those choices now and have new managers lined up before this season is over (maybe we even let them step in mid year) or so we have a clear idea of what new rules, etc. we'll be dealing with next year way before the draft.

Whichever option we choose is fine by me. I just don't think we can maintain the status quo because there's no reason to continue if we do so. I'll most likely hand my team over to someone else if we try and go with the same group and same rules.

While I agree that H2H sucks, my only basis for suggesting was so it keeps more teams involved. We try and add a 12th go H2H with 2 6-team divisions. Division winners get a bye in the playoffs, with 4 wild cards. If nothing else it keeps the 6-7 of us that pay attention throughout with something to do. Right now even those of us who want to pay attention have no reason too.

beerman

Postby beerman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:48 am

If the league is too involved, I would think we would be losing people at the draft, not during the season--after most of the "involved" stuff has been finished.

The fact that we haven't heard from the non-participating offenders seems telling to me that the problem lies with people not the league/rules. I'd rather try to get more committed managers than change the rules and find ourselves in the same spot.
Yeah, I don't think the league is too involved. The draft requires more prep than a standard draft but it's also more than balanced out with the amount of time the draft takes so you have plenty of time to adjust and research more on the fly.

I agree the problem is mostly with the people however, I still think it's slightly indicative of the league structure (maybe rules) that it seems like it's the same few teams we've turned over year after year. It's tough enough to build a contending team in this league let alone when you start way behind the rest of the pack and then have nobody willing to deal and a limited number of moves you can make once the year starts. If you start out with a terrible team in this league your only hope is several straight years of drafting well, you might catch an occasional top FA but that's few and far between and by May there's nobody willing to trade. Picking up a team from the last person who didn't pay attention to it has to really suck.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:57 pm

9/14 of Frazier's HRs are solo shots. The Reds suck.
Edit: 11/16
Edit: 14/19

Unreal.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:01 pm

lol 15/20

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:22 am

I wonder if they do a weekly scoring format? Take everybody's score for a week, high score gets a W, reset and do it again next week. Winner of the league is he who has won the most weeks. Or maybe award inverse points like you get for each scoring category and the winner of the league has high score. Don't think it would change the outcome, but it might give you the appearance of not being as far behind.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:32 am

Since Yahoo! rarely does anything innovative with fantasy, I highly doubt they have cool features like that.

Cooper7108

Postby Cooper7108 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:26 pm

I wonder if they do a weekly scoring format? Take everybody's score for a week, high score gets a W, reset and do it again next week. Winner of the league is he who has won the most weeks. Or maybe award inverse points like you get for each scoring category and the winner of the league has high score. Don't think it would change the outcome, but it might give you the appearance of not being as far behind.
closest thing would be head to head format. Like beerman and I were talking about Monday before the game with head to head you don't have to worry about catching up ground to whoever is in first. You would just have to worry about getting up to 5 or 6th place then the top 6 teams will make the playoffs. He said that should keep more people interested as the season goes along.

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:09 am

lol 15/20
16/22

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:52 am

Thanks.

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:23 am

My first though upon seeing an article about a grand slam was "meh". But then i realized there was something to do with that information.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:36 am

Haha. I tried to find the highest percentage of solo homeruns in history the other day. No luck. In the process, I did find that Chris Davis had a whopping 30 solo shots the year he hit 53. That's pretty nuts.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Honestly, I really do love the way the league is set up. I would be willing to lay the blame solely on the non-participating teams. If the bottom teams pay any attention, their scores in at least a few categories would be higher, taking some points away from the top teams and making it closer at the top. Theoretically.

I like doing this - I really don't want it the league to go away. I personally inherited a bottom team and have finished 3rd, 1st, and 2nd in my 3 years. I didn't do anything special other than set my lineup at about 90-95%.

I'd love to first try leaving the rules the same and finding better managers. I'll take the fault for one of our poor managers.

If anything, maybe we consider tightening up the farm team rules a little more? That would increase the available talent pool to use as DL replacements and keep teams dealing with injuries closer to the pack. For example, age limitations on international signings, and either lower the IP/AB maximum or implement a "service time" limit.

Something like this:
A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).
If you're not a rookie as of 4/1/20XX, you can't be on the farm. Or maybe we say you can have 1 pitcher and 1 hitter following the current rules (or some similar adaptation), the rest must be considered MLB rookies.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Another good idea is to take away resign certificates. Or alter that rule to where you can resign a guy in exchange for your 1st round pick in the upcoming draft (or something like that).

Like fine, you wanna sign a guy from your team go ahead, but the rest of the league gets all the good draftees.

This would prevent jagoff managers from keeping guys like McCutchen for their entire friggin careers. And reward teams for manipulating their rosters in such a way as to be able to give out long-term contracts to the right guys.

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:36 pm

I don't think any of those things help all that much. If you give someone Felix, Bumgarner, Kershaw, Scherzer, and Sale, and they don't set their lineup every day, they still won't win the pitching categories. Guys like Mccutcheon are even less of an impact. You can leave those guys in your lineup every day, but i'm still going to beat you out at that position when I grind out those extra SBs, runs, rbis, and home runs every week by playing the off days by mixing in guys like Ethier, Hunter, and Span by adding 20+ games played over the course of a season...while avoiding those streaks like Cutch had to start the season.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:55 pm

Consider my comments as part a and part b.

Part A was get active managers. Part B was introduce in-season parity.

Part A covers the issue you brought up. Active managers wont drop as bad in counting categories.

What comes before Part B

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:00 pm

Before part b should come the end of the league.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:38 am

Boom, 10 guys on the DL, my new high water mark. Not that I could have been better than midfield before, but now the futility is getting impressive. Thank God we don't lottery the first pick, I'd hate to get Sabre'd

Craig

Postby Craig » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:43 am

Thats impressive.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:19 pm

Who really has Blake Swihart? He's on both Loaf and I40's pages.

Furthermore, If today (midseason) I have 50 contract years, and I buyout PlayerX's 3 year contract, does that mean I now have 47 CY? Leaving 3 CY to work with to sign a replacement?

Craig

Postby Craig » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:26 pm

I do not have swihart. Fotgot to update farm team. Will do tonight

beerman

Postby beerman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Honestly, I really do love the way the league is set up. I would be willing to lay the blame solely on the non-participating teams. If the bottom teams pay any attention, their scores in at least a few categories would be higher, taking some points away from the top teams and making it closer at the top. Theoretically.

I like doing this - I really don't want it the league to go away. I personally inherited a bottom team and have finished 3rd, 1st, and 2nd in my 3 years. I didn't do anything special other than set my lineup at about 90-95%.

I'd love to first try leaving the rules the same and finding better managers. I'll take the fault for one of our poor managers.

If anything, maybe we consider tightening up the farm team rules a little more? That would increase the available talent pool to use as DL replacements and keep teams dealing with injuries closer to the pack. For example, age limitations on international signings, and either lower the IP/AB maximum or implement a "service time" limit.

Something like this:
A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).
If you're not a rookie as of 4/1/20XX, you can't be on the farm. Or maybe we say you can have 1 pitcher and 1 hitter following the current rules (or some similar adaptation), the rest must be considered MLB rookies.
Definitely on board with changing prospect limits.

Could we just do a X years of control type deal like MLB does? Say you get 1+ years of control and then they must be signed to a deal or released.. So if a player makes his debut in the 2015 season, whether it's Opening Day or the final day of the year, you have control over them for that season and the 2016 season. They'd need to be signed prior to 2017.

I also think we should have free access to prospects rather than having to tie them to injuries while they're on the farm. If we're going to have prospects why not allow them to be used? You'd be free to call them up & down to use on your MLB team as you see fit during the season. To eliminate daily moves and streaming pitchers we'd just put a provision that they have to be on the roster for a week at a time like we do with injury replacements now.

beerman

Postby beerman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:32 pm

Seems like most everyone wants to just find new managers then.. Does anyone have someone interested?

I think that ideally we'd need to decide which owners won't be back (the easy part) and have at least a couple of the spots filled up by the end of this season. If it gets into the offseason, I'd say there's at least an 80% chance we hit February with nothing getting accomplished and then we either start yet another season in the same predicament or we fold.